Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

phool

I keep getting an issue where my internet disconnects. I get the error message "The DNS server isn't responding." when I troubleshoot with windows. After restarting my router the connection comes back. I have been using 1.1.1.1 as my primary DNS server and google's DNS server as my backup. I have also reset it to default and am still getting the issue. I have previously had the same issue, but after a lengthy phone call with a technician and going through my router settings it was fixed. This was about a year ago. I have changed nothing since then (including the DNS server, those are the ones he told me to use) and the problem has returned. Here are two images of ping plotter tests I did. The first image is from right after it happened and the second is after restarting my router with the test still running.
Some more information:
I live in Cape Town and my fiber provider is Octotel.

@PBCool

I feel like I'm getting the same issue. Connection just dies randomly and you are forced to power off/on router to get the connection live again. Also in CT and on Octotel. It was happening before I went away overseas for 3 weeks and now I'm back it's still an issue.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I feel like I'm getting the same issue. Connection just dies randomly and you are forced to power off/on router to get the connection live again. Also in CT and on Octotel. It was happening before I went away overseas for 3 weeks and now I'm back it's still an issue.
Hi sorry about that, realistically being Octotel this is more than likely a layer2 thing. Have you logged this with us as yet?

phool

Hi sorry about that, realistically being Octotel this is more than likely a layer2 thing. Have you logged this with us as yet?
Yes I logged it a while back. Had my old router replaced with an Archer C2. Only managed to do the required testing yesterday which I sent on my logged ticket.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yes I logged it a while back. Had my old router replaced with an Archer C2. Only managed to do the required testing yesterday which I sent on my logged ticket.
Sadly replacing the router is the first line of troubleshooting and an FNO wont entertain investigating something until that is done, we have seen this before with Octotel and it was a resource issue on their OLTs. Will you quote your support ref for me?

phool

Sadly replacing the router is the first line of troubleshooting and an FNO wont entertain investigating something until that is done, we have seen this before with Octotel and it was a resource issue on their OLTs. Will you quote your support ref for me?
My ticket is #COOL-20210629-713461 although I've been told that a ticket has been raised with Octotel already.

shooter_za

Anyone else down in Tableview/West Beach area CPT on Octotel? All green lights. I see no outages logged.

shooter_za

Apparently a fibre break (according to neigbour on RSA web that got a notice)

”Dear RSAWEB customers, We have been made aware of an extensive fibre break affecting the Octotel customers in the Melkbos, Blouberg, and surrounding areas. No ETA at the moment. Further updates to follow.”

Loppas

@PBCool So i have a friend who just moved into a new house which has a vuma line and his isp (afrihost) cant activate the line as they say it hasnt been released, but no one has been living there for over a year.

What course of action can my friend take here, they say he needs to get the previous owner to send a cancellation email, but there is no way to contact that person.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool So i have a friend who just moved into a new house which has a vuma line and his isp (afrihost) cant activate the line as they say it hasnt been released, but no one has been living there for over a year.

What course of action can my friend take here, they say he needs to get the previous owner to send a cancellation email, but there is no way to contact that person.
Have you tried to reach out to @AfriNatic usually if they have proof of residence Vumatel can release