Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Okay i changed out their router to a Tenda MW6 mesh one and its working perfectly fine although the speeds she is getting at 20 Down and 10Mbps up when it should be a 40/40Mbps line ?
Did you try change the MTU?

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Did you try change the MTU?
Yes i tried and nothing really changed. But i was giving us 50mbps last week actually the day they activated it and you still said not picking up a session on your side then.
So very weird here

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Open a RDP port; it would be fun they said well yeah it is, then i added a RDPGuard to my system well on this test one and bam blocking them

1613331418712.png

Conack

Expert Member
Would highly recommend not opening RDP access to internet.
Convenient yes, but that's how you get hacked.

VPN to RDP, or Anydesk: www.anydesk.com - can use pretty much unlimited, like the old Teamviewer - set a password and shortcut on your desktop for easy access.

jannier

Expert Member
Would highly recommend not opening RDP access to internet.
Convenient yes, but that's how you get hacked.

VPN to RDP, or Anydesk: www.anydesk.com - can use pretty much unlimited, like the old Teamviewer - set a password and shortcut on your desktop for easy access.

Also use Anydesk for the odd remote sessions I have to do.

MDE

Expert Member
Although i must say this remote guard works really well. Can send you a link to it if you wanna try it out, just so useful when im at a client and need to remote home to get a file or do something. Teamviewer are so full of kak in the past year so i dont even bother with them anymore
Otherwise like mention anydesk, but also RealVNC www.realvnc.com

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Yes i tried and nothing really changed. But i was giving us 50mbps last week actually the day they activated it and you still said not picking up a session on your side then.
So very weird here

The PPPoE account looks fine on our side, rate-limited to our 10% overprovisioning at 44/44Mbps.

I see a 1450 MTU negotiated, which is a bit high for Vodacom L2TP handover, we generally recommend 1410-1400 on Vodacom.

We've also found that, depending on which NAS on Vodacom side the session gets round-robin-loadbalanced to, certain MTU's still cause fragmentation.

The absolute safe level is around 1300, but I suggest you try a few different MTU's.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
The PPPoE account looks fine on our side, rate-limited to our 10% overprovisioning at 44/44Mbps.

I see a 1450 MTU negotiated, which is a bit high for Vodacom L2TP handover, we generally recommend 1410-1400 on Vodacom.

We've also found that, depending on which NAS on Vodacom side the session gets round-robin-loadbalanced to, certain MTU's still cause fragmentation.

The absolute safe level is around 1300, but I suggest you try a few different MTU's.
Thank you Roelf, for this feedback when i next go out to the client possibly wednesday i will mess about with it, what is weird when you start the speedtest it does go close to 50 then ramps all the way down to 20Mbps.
Will also just test with my laptop directly onto the ONT. We have been told by CISP-> Via vodacom they gonna replaced the ONT at the client as its a old Nokia one

Regards

Rhino

[mention]PBCool [/mention] [mention]TheRoDent [/mention] any chance you have connections with Openserve that you can try and push my new connection through a little faster. It’s in a complex and I have a junction right in next to the front door. It’s literally a single drill hole and then about 5m of cable and the CPE. And of course activation. Ticket is COOL-20210215-611278 and reference is 258846866A. Would appreciate anything you could do !! I’ve been out the country for a few months for work and coming hone on medical recovery but still need to work so looking for the connection ASAP. Thanks as always !

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Thank you Roelf, for this feedback when i next go out to the client possibly wednesday i will mess about with it, what is weird when you start the speedtest it does go close to 50 then ramps all the way down to 20Mbps.
Will also just test with my laptop directly onto the ONT. We have been told by CISP-> Via vodacom they gonna replaced the ONT at the client as its a old Nokia one

Regards
It does sound a bit like fragmentation happening. A few UDP iperf tests will also help just to confirm that it's not packetloss related.

Had a client in Eagle Canyon that I had to install an SD-WAN solution for in order to rectify the the ridiculous amounts of packetloss.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

I have seen other links on Vodacom and the MTU actually changes during a session, when the path through their network changes. (I assume they do load balancing across links in the distribution).
I am just watching one now and every hour it changes by 2 bytes.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I have seen other links on Vodacom and the MTU actually changes during a session, when the path through their network changes. (I assume they do load balancing across links in the distribution).
I am just watching one now and every hour it changes by 2 bytes.
Just seems like this Vodacom is a weird one when it comes to Fiber. First client I have got that is able to use another isp on Vodacom as most don’t allow it. In a way this is a regret, with mobile their service is rather decent but dam Fiber is sad

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Just seems like this Vodacom is a weird one when it comes to Fiber. First client I have got that is able to use another isp on Vodacom as most don’t allow it. In a way this is a regret, with mobile their service is rather decent but dam Fiber is sad
Openserve Vodacom and MTN use realms, so you can switch ISP accounts in theory.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Openserve Vodacom and MTN use realms, so you can switch ISP accounts in theory.

“Carlswald estate” is a Vodacom one, when I tried to get a customer to move to cool ideas about a year they were told not allowed and a new customer about a week ago also had issues

Any reason for that ? Does the estate maybe have an exclusive agreement with Vodacom only for x years ?