Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

MDE

Expert Member
COOL-20210804-741723

@PBCool and @TheRoDent here's another ticket to add to the Octotel disconnect saga.

Was all fine until the downgrade to 50/50 over the weekend. :(

AsianSpaceman

You get an upgrade, you get an upgrade, you get an upgrade, been seeing everyone get free speed upgrades, my friend just sent me a screenshot of the mail he got for his free upgrade, can someone, anyone, ask century city connect for free upgrades too lol.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@DYreX146 To give you an idea of how little it fluctuates currently (I'm never going back to the old setup)
View attachment 1120276
ezgif-4-3918f38e3ee9.gif
But it did move to the higher latency with the first time we tested? Just doesnt seem to want to when we need it to.

S.Claus

Expert Member
But it did move to the higher latency with the first time we tested? Just doesnt seem to want to when we need it to.
I have turned off the router multiple times (left it off last night) and it still didn't give me high latency.
Edit: Yes when we first started testing it got the high latency BRAS but haven't been able to get it again

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
You get an upgrade, you get an upgrade, you get an upgrade, been seeing everyone get free speed upgrades, my friend just sent me a screenshot of the mail he got for his free upgrade, can someone, anyone, ask century city connect for free upgrades too lol.
We getting free upgrades because the FNO's we on were overpriced lol

CISP + CCC - 50/25 - R849

CISP + Openserve is now R819 for 50/25

CISP + Vumatel R929 for now a 50/50 use to be like R969 for 50/5

Your pricing is too bad

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I have turned off the router multiple times (left it off last night) and it still didn't give me high latency.
Edit: Yes when we first started testing it got the high latency BRAS but haven't been able to get it again
Aaah... if your router supports it you should be able to select a specific AC/BRAS name, to avoid the higer latency one...

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Aaah... if your router supports it you should be able to select a specific AC/BRAS name, to avoid the higer latency one...
@S.Claus

If you are using a Mikrotik, a "PPPoE" scan should show you the quickest responding BRAS/AC Name.

Alternatively you can use https://pppoem.com/ from a PC directly connected to the ONT to see which BRAS's are available, and then pick an AC name, based on the best responder (latency wise), and configure that AC name as the preferred in your PPPoE connection on your router. Feel free to ping me, but realistically it seems that there are some "crappy" BRAS'es and "good" ones on your OpenServe connection.

If you configure your router for the "lowest latency" BRAS, then it should be sticky. Unless that BRAS is unavailable, but then you can go thru the process again. Always pick the BRAS/AC with the best response time...

It's up to you to experiment to see which BRAS/AC gives you the best consistent pings. But it can be stickied from a CPE by using an AC "name", on your router's PPPoE config.

Problem is of course, if your "preferred" BRAS dies.... Then your connection dies...

And then you might log a ticket, and techs might require to reset your router (so it doesn't prefer a specific BRAS).

But as long as you are aware that there are multiple BRAS's with different characteristics, then it's all good.

Not something we would recommend to mom's and pop's if you get my drift....

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Bottom line, configure your router for the "better" BRAS by specifying the AC name in your PPPoE config.

RiNCEw1ND

I had two huge spikes with 100% packet loss on the last hop to my WoW server. Lasted about a minute each, a few minutes apart.

Now all good.

Brandon

We apologize for the delay on this. I will escalate and reach out to you shortly.
Hi, thanks for contacting me.

The "re-install" team arrived today, looked at the current install, took some pics and left (nothing was done or changed).

They said another team has to check why there is no FX link.

So looks like another day wasted with no progress on the actual problem.

joker08

Expert Member
How do u find the object number ? I tried connecting with a lan cable and going to shop.vumatel but the network details comes out blank . Any other way to do this ?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
How do u find the object number ? I tried connecting with a lan cable and going to shop.vumatel but the network details comes out blank . Any other way to do this ?
Are you with an ISP currently or not as yet?