Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

S.Claus

Expert Member
Weird, can you PM the IP you get on l2tp please?

Also, have you tried forcing a specific BRAS on PPoE to see if you get lucky with a lower ping BRAS?

I don't think the geolocation is the cause.
When I get high/low latency it uses the same BNG and only my Asus router supports specifying a specific one. The Netduma R2 is really a bare-basic "gaming" router.

Edit: I got the game to search again but the geolocation still says CPT

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
When I get high/low latency it uses the same BNG and only my Asus router supports specifying a specific one. The Netduma R2 is really a bare-basic "gaming" router.

Edit: I got the game to search again but the geolocation still says CPT
OK I don't think the geolocation is relative to your game matchmaking problems.

If the IP works, it works. They're all announced equally to our peers and transit providers.

leppie

Anyone elses Octotel in Blouberg just die?

Whenever Octotel does any maintenance, there is a good chance that they will disconnect every single connection no matter the location.

I didn't get a disconnect then, but had one earlier (about 6PM). Had to reset connection, else router will wait up to 15 minutes to reconnect.

So annoying. IP changes every time.

Surely they can do graceful disconnects instead of letting everyone timeout?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Whenever Octotel does any maintenance, there is a good chance that they will disconnect every single connection no matter the location.

I didn't get a disconnect then, but had one earlier (about 6PM). Had to reset connection, else router will wait up to 15 minutes to reconnect.

So annoying. IP changes every time.

Surely they can do graceful disconnects instead of letting everyone timeout?
It seems they migrating from Arista where they don't have access to the latest firmware to a outfit out of Taiwan that provides hardware that uses open source software stacks. The process is a forklift and I doubt they have resilient paths in place.
It does look more stable, but knowing Octotel that is an assumption.

Phinix

Expert Member
Anything happening with ci in cape town?

Second row in a night that the internet dies and have to switch isp till the morning.

MDE

Expert Member
Anything happening with ci in cape town?

Second row in a night that the internet dies and have to switch isp till the morning.
What's your FNO? If Openserve I believe some had a drop and restarting everything has restored the connection

neoprema

Executive Member
Anyone experiencing problems on CI this morning?

I'm getting 256mbps on my 1Gbps line - but thats not the problem i'm on a Zoom meeting and its just disconnecting constantly saying my bandwidth is too low. But speedtests show 256mbps so it can't be that?

Praemon

Expert Member

I'm getting 256mbps on my 1Gbps line - but thats not the problem i'm on a Zoom meeting and its just disconnecting constantly saying my bandwidth is too low. But speedtests show 256mbps so it can't be that?

Yeah. Seeing dropped packets and websites barely loading my side (Octotel Cape Gate).

BrendanMc

Expert Member
Im having issues with Warzone, keep getting dc'ed and having to restart, doesn't show packet loss in-game but feels like lots of packet loss. Cape Town Northern Suburbs.
1629618682466.png

maniac6911

1629618949548.png

The line is fine for a few minutes then it starts flapping. From PE on Openserve.

Line has been stable for 10 min now.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Probably packetloss more so than throughput. Try run an mtr if possible?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Getting constant disconnects too - Octotel CPT Southern Suburbs
Disconnects are typically FNO related and being Octotel it's not surprising at the moment. But please log if it continues.