Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Anyone experiencing problems on CI this morning?

I'm getting 256mbps on my 1Gbps line - but thats not the problem i'm on a Zoom meeting and its just disconnecting constantly saying my bandwidth is too low. But speedtests show 256mbps so it can't be that?

Appstore on iphone wasn't loading and Tapatalk to the UK was slow

Seems fine now.

Frogfoot 100/100
Pinelands
Cape Town

grantduke

@PBCool Frogfoot line went down about two weeks ago while I was away.

Just updated #COOL-20210815-749039 if you could pretty please have someone check this first thing tomorrow morning. Both Service and Broadband lights are off on the Frogfoot ONT

simonbee

i am with cool ideas, aerial vumatel. for a week or two now, I have been unable to access various websites, including getflix.com and smartdnsproxy.com. If I connect to a vpn they are accessible, otherwise they throw up a hmmm can't reach this page error. I have tried a different router and get the same error so can probably discount any router settings. I get the error on all devices including PC, android and apple phones. If I turn the wifi off on the phone, I get access.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

MDE

Expert Member
@MDE

Out of interest sake. I was always using 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.01 for my DNS via my router on Adguard Home.
You got me interested in the performance of DSTV now live streaming so I made a few changes.

Part of the reason for this is, CloudFlare directs to either Optinet's JHB or CTP clusters, but also sometimes to IS's CPT cluster. The latter has the worst performance for me.

So I customised to look like this:
View attachment 1127008

Full upstream config:
Code:
[/heaven.za.net/]192.168.241.1
[/r-live-cache.akamaized.net/]154.0.1.1
[/r-live-cache.akamaized.net/]154.0.1.10
[/akamai.net/]9.9.9.9
[/akamai.net/]149.112.112.112
[/cdn.steampowered.com/]9.9.9.9
[/cdn.steampowered.com/]149.112.112.112
[/google.com/]8.8.8.8
[/google.com/]8.8.4.4
[/google.co.za/]8.8.8.8
[/google.co.za/]8.8.4.4
[/googleapis.com/]8.8.8.8
[/googleapis.com/]8.8.4.4

So one really has to think about what DNS servers to use for Akamai performance.

I now direct most google services to google dns, some Akamai to CISP and then still default to CloudFare for all other requests.

Sorry its been a while, finally got some more time to fiddle.

So I run pihole with unbound. Setting the unbound conf to forward r-live-cache.akamaized.net to 154.0.1.1 will still route to Optinets Clusters in JHB as the resolver still pings 1.1.1.1 (Main DNS on my system)

On digging I found that with unbound one needs to actually set the forward zone to "a1075.w16.akamai.net." to query CISPs dns to forward CISPs cluster.

So in the config file you dont actually need to forward DNS query r-live-cache.akamaized.net to obtain CISP's cluster but as above a1075.w16.akamai.net.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
i am with cool ideas, aerial vumatel. for a week or two now, I have been unable to access various websites, including getflix.com and smartdnsproxy.com. If I connect to a vpn they are accessible, otherwise they throw up a hmmm can't reach this page error. I have tried a different router and get the same error so can probably discount any router settings. I get the error on all devices including PC, android and apple phones. If I turn the wifi off on the phone, I get access.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this?
Which router are you using? Sounds like MTU related.

EdQubit

Is anyone else having intermittent timeouts accessing github.com? Works for a while, then I get timeouts for a while, then it works again? FNO is Century City Connect, Century City, Cape Town.

Other sites/services appear to be fine so far, nothing on https://www.githubstatus.com/.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
you are a star. i have a ubiquiti dream machine. it was set to auto, is now on custom, seems it's default is 1382 which seems to work perfectly, can access those sites now. thank you
Seems a common issue with the dream machine!