Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

powermzii

Expert Member
The joys of a free market :)

I am sure this has been asked in the past but any chance Openserve will move to sync UP and Download as well as higher speeds - perhaps 500 or 750 / Gig? Any rumblings in the ether?

Asgard85

I know how you feel, it sucks that Vumatel screws you over and there are cheaper options i honestly did go looking as well, but at the end of the day what i got now works and if i switch s*** might not work there might be down time etc etc.

I am in the dilemma of switching back to Openserve but that will require a reinstallation since the initial install was of a pathetic quality many years ago, i don't want to take the risk and migrate over and stuff is not great, i know my nieghbours have issues often and they on Openserve... They do have a really F tier ISP though so could be either of the two :ROFL:
Yeah there is always risk when moving to the unknown. Better the devil you know or try somebody new and cheaper? I've been relatively happy with the connection and spend very little time thinking about it but since I am thinking about it now I will do the exercise to research alternatives.

StoneCold

Expert Member
The joys of a free market :)

I am sure this has been asked in the past but any chance Openserve will move to sync UP and Download as well as higher speeds - perhaps 500 or 750 / Gig? Any rumblings in the ether?

Word on the street (or rather MyBB forums rather) was that OS doesn't see the need for higher line speeds than 200mb at present for consumers. Don't know if they will ever reconsider it, maybe in year or two they'll offer higher speeds, but for now I doubt it's something they'll do after the line speed upgrades / price changes coming in March.

DeatheCore

Word on the street (or rather MyBB forums rather) was that OS doesn't see the need for higher line speeds than 200mb at present for consumers. Don't know if they will ever reconsider it, maybe in year or two they'll offer higher speeds, but for now I doubt it's something they'll do after the line speed upgrades / price changes coming in March.
Hah.. love that mindset.. "640K RAM ought to be enough for anybody." :laugh:

DaemonZA

Hi

Is there an outage in the Barbeque Downs, Midrand area?

I've lost internet connectivity, and it seems widespread. Neighbours are also experiencing issues.

I have metrofibre.

EDIT: and its back. I did log a ticket as well

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
As a customer, have you done the risk/reward exercise when comparing the other ISPs?

You basically can group the ISPs like this:
1. Large ISP with shaping devices. Large network usually means more redundancy and more leniency on performance when international or national links fail. ISPs like Afrihost, Web Africa, Mweb etc fall into this category.
2. Large ISP without shaping devices. Again, large network usually means more redundancy and more leniency on performance when international or national links fail. I only know of Coolideas in this category.
3. Small ISP without shaping devices. There many small players in this space, like Rocketnet or Mindthespeed or or Websquad or whatever other unknown name. Performance is great when everything works, but if a link fail you might lose total connectivity. So there is some risk here. Also a small risk of the ISP maxing out links without shaping devices.
4. Small ISP with shaping devices. I don't know any ISPs in this space, there might be. Same risk but less performance. Some chance at saving performance if links get to full capacity.

Group 1 is popular and have many customers....also many complains.
Group 2 is my favorite group and why I am with Coolideas. Generally it just works and if not it is fixed real quick with the bonus that Coolideas have the best presence on MyBB. Good luck finding that elsewhere.
Group 3 is ok if you want to save money on your monthly fee, but you have that risk that I who WFH can't really take.
Group 4 is not a great option either, rather go with Group 1 where there is at least economies of scale and the squeeze of shaping is felt less.
You should add traffic acceleration and DDOS mitigation into the mix, as well.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool @TheRoDent any chance that 9.9.9.9 could not go via Internet Solutions?

Code:
(192.168.50.32)                   2021-02-17T10:38:03+0200
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                Packets               Pings
Host                         Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
1. RB3011_Core                0.0%     9    0.3   0.3   0.3   0.6   0.1
2. 154.0.0.246                0.0%     9    0.8   0.8   0.7   1.0   0.1
3. 100.98.0.3                 0.0%     9    0.9   0.9   0.7   0.9   0.1
4. 100.98.0.2                 0.0%     8    0.8   0.9   0.8   1.0   0.1
5. 196.26.90.82               0.0%     8    2.2   2.5   2.2   4.2   0.7
6. 168.209.6.131              0.0%     8    2.1   2.1   2.0   2.3   0.1
7. pch-1.cinx.net.za          0.0%     8    2.7   9.1   2.5  54.3  18.2
8. dns9.quad9.net             0.0%     8    3.0   2.5   2.2   3.0   0.3
Try now?

S.Claus

Expert Member
This is mine, but I've set my router to use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.

Does the report mean I must use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1?

View attachment 1022334

***edit***

My Router settings. Anything I need to change

View attachment 1022340
47EB266C-50A2-4E2E-84C9-52DACC7977DA.jpeg
There’s mine + under LAN DNSFilter set to enabled with global filter mode to router (it forces the clients to use the DNS server you specified in the WAN section)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Looks like an outage on Vumatel Villages and some other FNOs so maybe a backhaul outage somewhere.