Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

leppie

Well that was nice when it lasted. 6 days and 4 hours of connection uptime on Octotel.

Would have closed my ticket tomorrow...

Lucky I could same IP again from a double reconnect. Also doing a production release in 2 hours. Hope the connection holds.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Well that was nice when it lasted. 6 days and 4 hours of connection uptime on Octotel.

Would have closed my ticket tomorrow...

Lucky I could same IP again from a double reconnect. Also doing a production release in 2 hours. Hope the connection holds.
nelson.jpg

grantduke

@PBCool Do you perhaps have any recommendations on any sort of settings I can look at on Mikrotik? I'm getting drops on my Frogfoot line, and even my phone (Samsung) is switching off from wifi to mobile data. I know there is a setting to prevent that. But Outages are only for a few seconds, but 8 seconds on a Zoom call feels like ages. PPPoE still shows it's running

Date and timeStatus
09/15/2021 9:16:47 AMOnline
09/15/2021 9:16:39 AMNo internet connection
It's just getting worse now. Is anyone else on Frogfoot and in Tableview area perhaps having the same? Trying to see if this is area or just my line.

I have also just logged this with support

1631711788477.png

grantduke

Getting constant disconnects and reconnects. Every few minutes it goes down and comes back up within a few seconds. Cape Town on Frogfoot.
So happened that when I went outside, Frogfoot was around. So I asked the guy if they are doing maintenance or what. He immediately responded with "Packet Loss as well". Told him yeah, and disconnects. Showed him my pingtracer, he was on the phone with the office. They modified my config on the ONT, but said and showed me the line stats are fine.

Now according to Cool Ideas support, (Itumeleng Sono), my line has been up for more than 24 hours. Of which I explained that I don't think the PPPoE server will detect the session as being down if the line drops for 2-8 seconds. As I suspect that the default timeout is 10 seconds.

Told him unless you can correct me on how the PPPoE server monitors the sessions?

Good day Grant,

Thank you for your reply.
Our pppoe server monitors the session running between the ONT box and the router that is plugged into it, so if the line drops it automatically reflects on our side as offline but any device that is plugged into the router itself will not reflect on our side.

Kind Regards

I then responded with:
Hi Itumeleng
Okay, so if you say that you immediately can pickup if the line does down. This then means that the packet loss I'm seeing is then happening on Cool Ideas network, and not my Frogfoot line.
Can you please get this escalated then to the network team to fix?
Thanks
Grant
As I'm typing, he requested my phone number to explain over the phone.

You'd almost think Octotel and Frogfoot were the same company.
Honestly, this is month 2 with Frogfoot and Cool Ideas. And currently, the tennis game has began

CrypticZA

Expert Member
So happened that when I went outside, Frogfoot was around. So I asked the guy if they are doing maintenance or what. He immediately responded with "Packet Loss as well". Told him yeah, and disconnects. Showed him my pingtracer, he was on the phone with the office. They modified my config on the ONT, but said and showed me the line stats are fine.

Now according to Cool Ideas support, (Itumeleng Sono), my line has been up for more than 24 hours. Of which I explained that I don't think the PPPoE server will detect the session as being down if the line drops for 2-8 seconds. As I suspect that the default timeout is 10 seconds.

Told him unless you can correct me on how the PPPoE server monitors the sessions?

I then responded with:

As I'm typing, he requested my phone number to explain over the phone.

Honestly, this is month 2 with Frogfoot and Cool Ideas. And currently, the tennis game has began
Just look at FB TV Neighbours & Sunningdale Neighbours people always complaining about Vroetfoot never does a week go by where there isn't an issue

grantduke

Just look at FB TV Neighbours & Sunningdale Neighbours people always complaining about Vroetfoot never does a week go by where there isn't an issue
If this continues, then I'm gonna insist on being moved over to Openserve, who happen to have installed fibre a few days after getting Frogfoot. And if I only knew that. I would have waited until they were here :cautious:

Loppas

Nope just made sure and my downloads on PC are also capped at around 100Mbps
restart router? I've had behaviour like that when my father plugged in 100mbps devices into the main router, caused everything to drop down to 100mbps on the lan.

grantduke

Small chance they share backhaul along a route
I can for sure say that Frogfoot uses DFA. And the reason why I say this is because when we did the office move, we went with Cool Ideas FTTB through Frogfoot. But DFA had to come around to pull in the fibre from the manhole on the pavement into the building. And then I think (not sure) Frogfoot pull it from a distribution point up to the floor. So would be interested actually to see if Octotel and Frogfoot drops/packetloss in Tableview match up.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I can for sure say that Frogfoot uses DFA. And the reason why I say this is because when we did the office move, we went with Cool Ideas FTTB through Frogfoot. But DFA had to come around to pull in the fibre from the manhole on the pavement into the building. And then I think (not sure) Frogfoot pull it from a distribution point up to the floor. So would be interested actually to see if Octotel and Frogfoot drops/packetloss in Tableview match up.
Octotel in West Beach and Blouberg aren't having any disconnects atm. Their backhaul is along marine drive

leppie

Is anyone else with Octotel getting a bunch of SMS's from Openserve starting this week?

3 already. All start with 'Dear customer'.

@PBCool Does this mean Openserve can use Octotel's fibre now? And your previous question would make sense if so.

powermzii

Expert Member
Is anyone else with Octotel getting a bunch of SMS's from Openserve starting this week?

3 already. All start with 'Dear customer'.

@PBCool Does this mean Openserve can use Octotel's fibre now? And your previous question would make sense if so.
Openserve are a competitor to Octoel (they provide their own fibre network) so perhaps they have caught wind of the challenges experienced by Octo customers and are trying to gauge interest

Or its a scam

leppie

Openserve are a competitor to Octoel (they provide their own fibre network) so perhaps they have caught wind of the challenges experienced by Octo customers and are trying to gauge interest

Or its a scam
The SMS looked terribly dodgy, but I have checked, it does indeed go to Openserve's site. So not a scam, but I dont even have Openserve coverage.