Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
This appears to only be an Octotel issue, why is there so much packet loss on their network that it causes such detrimental effects to a server in the same country? I find it stupid that I have faster downloads from servers on different continents than I do from ones in Joburg.

I don't think there was any official ticket, it's just been DMs with you and Rodent but nothing has come of it so far.
Because we mitigate on the international side, which would be way worse if we didn't. And restransmits with window scaling is the killer.

So lower latency hosts the retransmits are that much quicker.

And why they have packet loss is something we've been dealing with them on for months.

leppie

And why they have packet loss is something we've been dealing with them on for months.

Probably at least 24+ months :D

Probably the same issue Cape Gate had. Lack of capacity and zero forward thinking when they expend the area by more than double.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Probably at least 24+ months :D

Probably the same issue Cape Gate had. Lack of capacity and zero forward thinking when they expend the area by more than double.
Well they have had a few issues to be honest, first was backhaul as they would wait for their own builds. Then it was OLT cpu limits, then its been loops. Basically a different issue every few months.

fsadulla

PBCool today i called in for slow speeds, a few hours later a second line support agent called me to say octotel refreshed my line and that i should reboot the ONT and everything should be fine and he dropped the call. After i rebooted the ONT the internet light on my router was red so i rebooted the router too. Now i have no internet for a few hours and no one at Cool Ideas is helping

Hunted

Howzit, I got a reply back yesterday saying they made some changes and to let them know. I see "JOH" is back and so far so good. Just waiting a few days until I reply to make sure.
Heya, yes I also received the msg. I must put it through some tests myself. Thnx for letting me know

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
PBCool today i called in for slow speeds, a few hours later a second line support agent called me to say octotel refreshed my line and that i should reboot the ONT and everything should be fine and he dropped the call. After i rebooted the ONT the internet light on my router was red so i rebooted the router too. Now i have no internet for a few hours and no one at Cool Ideas is helping
Hi, What is your support ref #?

jannier

Expert Member
PBCool internet has been down since 5pm yesterday. I have been calling every hour since 8am and get the same story that they waiting on Octotel. Shouldnt a dead line take priority?
Unfortunately not according to the FNO's this is a best effort service and they have 48- 72 Hours at best to respond. Most FNO's are faster than that, but others just well.............. you feeling it.

leppie

PBCool internet has been down since 5pm yesterday. I have been calling every hour since 8am and get the same story that they waiting on Octotel. Shouldnt a dead line take priority?
Get an Octotel ticket ref from Cool Ideas, then chase Octotel directly. They only willing to work if they have a ticket. Also, Octotel is very much office hours only, 9am-4pm weekdays.

fsadulla

Get an Octotel ticket ref from Cool Ideas, then chase Octotel directly. They only willing to work if they have a ticket. Also, Octotel is very much office hours only, 9am-4pm weekdays.
Finally yesterday Cool Ideas called and corrected the issue from their side. They said the line did not have an IP

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I have had another look at this and we advertise the same to Cloudflare at both JHB and CPT, they are the ones returning your traffic via their Cape Town node. I have done a manual re-advertise to them so please let me know if anything changes in the next 30mins. Beyond that we need to open a ticket with Cloudflare as to why they are routing this way.

S.Claus

Expert Member
I have had another look at this and we advertise the same to Cloudflare at both JHB and CPT, they are the ones returning your traffic via their Cape Town node. I have done a manual re-advertise to them so please let me know if anything changes in the next 30mins. Beyond that we need to open a ticket with Cloudflare as to why they are routing this way.
Mr.Sowden from the business department picked it up almost 5 months ago also. I just logged into my Cool Ideas portal and it's a mess in there (it says I am on a 200/100 package and that the R115 package is active). Maybe the system is confused and that's why I am also getting slower speeds when downloading etc.

Edit: The fact that it replies via CPT also explains the inaccurate geo location

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Mr.Sowden from the business department picked it up almost 5 months ago also. I just logged into my Cool Ideas portal and it's a mess in there (it says I am on a 200/100 package and that the R115 package is active). Maybe the system is confused and that's why I am also getting slower speeds when downloading etc.
We are jumping around a bit here, you were just referring to the Cloudflare latency before that is unrelated to what package you are on. What result do you get on a speedtest? As that is a pretty clear indicator as to what package you are on.

S.Claus

Expert Member
We are jumping around a bit here, you were just referring to the Cloudflare latency before that is unrelated to what package you are on. What result do you get on a speedtest? As that is a pretty clear indicator as to what package you are on.
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 13.18.25.png
12073836778.png

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

Edit: The fact that it replies via CPT also explains the inaccurate geo location
Maybe its just a quicker connection to the North Pole via Slaapstad?