Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Pure_Acid

Sunningdale, Capetown on Frogfoot, just me of anyone else in the area got problems?

I cannot browse anything speedtest shows 0.12 Mb on 200Mb line.

Update: Restarting router seems to have helped for now...

Last edited:

DYreX146

Seeing random extra latency and packet loss to certain destinations from JHB onwards (on Openserve in KZN). Does this have anything to do with CISP or is it Openserve again?

1632576154431.png

This is what the server list in Apex Legends looks like, crazy packet loss and everything is about 8ms higher than usual:

1632576428753.png

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Seeing random extra latency and packet loss to certain destinations from JHB onwards (on Openserve in KZN). Does this have anything to do with CISP or is it Openserve again?

View attachment 1154330

This is what the server list in Apex Legends looks like, crazy packet loss and everything is about 8ms higher than usual:

View attachment 1154332
The fact you have packet loss on Bahrain and Belgium which is picked up locally by Amazon and Google means your fibre network is the problem

DYreX146

The fact you have packet loss on Bahrain and Belgium which is picked up locally by Amazon and Google means your fibre network is the problem
The main reason I asked is because KZN NLD's have had a lot of problems in the past and since I'm not getting any packet loss to KZN servers but only from JHB onwards, I wanted to know if that could possibly be the problem.

Google and Amazon will only pick my traffic up in JHB so if it's a problem with the NLD it would still affect it.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Team is aware, we are investigating the alternative path to KZN. Permanent fix should be implemented in the next 2 weeks we hope.

remoten

Any one on MFN , Glen Austin / Midrand have total loss of broadband ?

Broadband , Service lights have disappeared.

MDE

Expert Member
Dear Octotel Clients,
Octotel Engineers will be performing continued node maintenance in the following node:

Rondebosch

The maintenance is to alleviate any potential areas of concern, to ensure all connections are in spec for all customers to experience a solid stable connection.

Please see date and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Dates: Wednesday, 29th September 2021
Start time: 00:00am - 06:00am
Duration: 6 hours

Please see list of Roads that will be worked in during the maintenance window:

MONROE
GARFIELD
AVE DE MIST
BELVEDERE RD
PINETREE AVE
IMAM HAROON
RANELAGH RD
SELOUS RD
Main rd
BASSET RD
ALAMIEN / TREEHAVEN
IMAM HARON
PINE STREET
CHURCH ST
LOCH
EASTRY
Imam Haron Rd
Belvedere Rd
FRANKLIN RD
HAMILTON RD
OLD STANHOPE RD
Campground rd
Hellenburgh Way
Palmyra Rd
Glendale rd
WYNDOVER rd
HAYES rd
COLLEGE RD
Mayfair Ave
Keurboom Rd

If you lose connectivity between the maintenance window it is the result of the scheduled maintenance. Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Dear Octotel Clients,
Octotel Engineers will be performing continued node maintenance in the following node:

Rondebosch

The maintenance is to alleviate any potential areas of concern, to ensure all connections are in spec for all customers to experience a solid stable connection.

Please see date and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Dates: Wednesday, 29th September 2021
Start time: 00:00am - 06:00am
Duration: 6 hours

Please see list of Roads that will be worked in during the maintenance window:

MONROE
GARFIELD
AVE DE MIST
BELVEDERE RD
PINETREE AVE
IMAM HAROON
RANELAGH RD
SELOUS RD
Main rd
BASSET RD
ALAMIEN / TREEHAVEN
IMAM HARON
PINE STREET
CHURCH ST
LOCH
EASTRY
Imam Haron Rd
Belvedere Rd
FRANKLIN RD
HAMILTON RD
OLD STANHOPE RD
Campground rd
Hellenburgh Way
Palmyra Rd
Glendale rd
WYNDOVER rd
HAYES rd
COLLEGE RD
Mayfair Ave
Keurboom Rd

If you lose connectivity between the maintenance window it is the result of the scheduled maintenance. Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity.
This has to be a cryptic message being sent out for certain people to g to a braai, this is like a weekly event now...

MDE

Expert Member
This has to be a cryptic message being sent out for certain people to g to a braai, this is like a weekly event now...
A few weeks ago I noticed that they were actually pulling new fibre through the already installed ducts. Maybe they've picked up issues on the old fibre runs. Who knows...

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Tagging you guys in my Twitter thread with Octotel now, sorry :laugh:

> We can detect no issues on your line.

Will yes, there is nothing wrong with my line specifically except that it can barely reach a quarter of it's capable bandwidth to any host further than 100kms away.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
@PBCool not sure who asked but one of the CISP support staff called about the packet loss issue, instead of trying to explain all this from the beginning to him and to generally have this officially logged I opened a ticket (COOL-20210927-776749). That ticket includes a packet capture and speedtest results, plus some anecdotal stuff to help explain the history.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool not sure who asked but one of the CISP support staff called about the packet loss issue, instead of trying to explain all this from the beginning to him and to generally have this officially logged I opened a ticket (COOL-20210927-776749). That ticket includes a packet capture and speedtest results, plus some anecdotal stuff to help explain the history.
Perfect thanks.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Perfect thanks.

I also just want to mention how refreshing it is being able to talk to actual knowledgeable company representatives here on the forum. I had to try and talk to Webafrica support over the weekend for my parent's line and it was painful knowing that any question I had that didn't have a canned response would be ignored.

Please never leave the forum :laugh: