Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

flamevector

Any one else experience throttled download speeds on battlenet using CoolIdeas? I am on a 1000/100 on Evotel and even when I was on Vumatel it was the same scenario, on Bnet I can only get between 5 - 5.5MBps while Steam and Origin I get over 100MBps speeds?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Any one else experience throttled download speeds on battlenet using CoolIdeas? I am on a 1000/100 on Evotel and even when I was on Vumatel it was the same scenario, on Bnet I can only get between 5 - 5.5MBps while Steam and Origin I get over 100MBps speeds?
More than likely a limit on Battlenets side.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Thats not Cool Ideas thats Blizzard, if you go search on their forums you will see a note that was put up last year around March where they said due to the increase in people using their platform at times speeds might decrease.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thats not Cool Ideas thats Blizzard, if you go search on their forums you will see a note that was put up last year around March where they said due to the increase in people using their platform at times speeds might decrease.
Should have our France peer up relatively soon, wonder if it will make any difference.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
A quick fix sometimes is to sign in via US platform.... especially when there is a CoD update things get slow

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Should have our France peer up relatively soon, wonder if it will make any difference.
Somewhat doubt, I have a Nord UK provider who peers with them at Amsterdam and France and when CoD patches comes out everything is slow best thing I've found is in the morning pulling the update from the US

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Somewhat doubt, I have a Nord UK provider who peers with them at Amsterdam and France and when CoD patches comes out everything is slow best thing I've found is in the morning pulling the update from the US
Would be my assumption as well, at least it will be our own metro from France to London.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Would be my assumption as well, at least it will be our own metro from France to London.
Last time I had the game installed they announced they hit 1 million active players. 1 million players pulling 60 to 80GB more or less in the same 24 hours... that's a lot of data

S.Claus

Expert Member
Last time I had the game installed they announced they hit 1 million active players. 1 million players pulling 60 to 80GB more or less in the same 24 hours... that's a lot of data
Don’t we have a caching server ? I’m not looking forward to Thursday if I’m gonna download at 10Mbps

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Any ETA on that KZN>France routing?
Our pop in Marseille is live so Eassy is active, but ironically SEMEWE5 has a break and a ship has been dispatched. So makes the effective Eassy path down.

But should have feedback on that pretty soon to test etc.

Apparently Seacom is also planning some maintenance, so if WACs has a break at the same time it will be an interesting situation for ZA internet :)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Don’t we have a caching server ? I’m not looking forward to Thursday if I’m gonna download at 10Mbps
We tried some caching strategies a few years ago and they just created more pain than good. We may revisit it at some point for blizzard only.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Our pop in Marseille is live so Eassy is active, but ironically SEMEWE5 has a break and a ship has been dispatched. So makes the effective Eassy path down.

Apparently Seacom is also planning some maintenance, so if WACs has a break at the same time it will be an interesting situation for ZA internet :)
Lets not think about that :| i have a route out though... One Nord provider in JHB uses SAFE

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

That its. We are now jinxed.

DYreX146

herewegoagain.png

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
We do have Akamai nodes, and an upgraded cluster arrived recently, but I don't think Blizzard uses Akamai. From research they seem to use their own mechanism.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Is there any spikes on your graphs for traffic from CT to JHB?

Last night and now just had a massive 100% packet loss to JHB Dota 2 servers ping shot to over 300 and packet loss was 100%

Attachments

• dns.google.png
    dns.google.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 24

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Attached is the route to the server - pulled this now

EDIT: friend said he couldn't hear me on discord either and discord server is JHB as well

Attachments

• 155.133.238.162.png
    155.133.238.162.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 26