Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

EdQubit

Seems to be an outage we are awaiting feedback from CCC.
I've been wondering, currently I'm on CCC but Frogfoot is also available. Is Frogfoot more stable/quicker to resolve issues in general (in your experience)? Would it be worthwhile switching to them?

Armizael

I've been wondering, currently I'm on CCC but Frogfoot is also available. Is Frogfoot more stable/quicker to resolve issues in general (in your experience)? Would it be worthwhile switching to them?
Aren't they the same company?

EdQubit

Aren't they the same company?
I'm not sure, I think there is some connection between the two (in the past it appeared as if FF/CCC outages are related, but I could be mistaken), but I don't know what the overlap is (if any) between their networks / network operations. Their packages from the ISPs are also not always priced the same (especially from 200mbps+).

AsianSpaceman

I could be wrong, but afaik FF picks up or drops the connection somewhere for CCC. Separate companies but there is a connection somewhere.

ConfusedGoat

I have not been able to understand the connection between them.

When I switched to ccc from frogfoot due to lower prices at the time support told me that frogfoot sits on top of century connect and if anything it will the be faster. PBCool has however said ccc works on top of frog foot though.

The end result of switching on a 50/25 line:
Upload was 10mbs on frogfoot. Website says 25mbs support confirmed the website was wrong and offered me a refund (They however never updated the website). When going to ccc upload went up to 25mbs.

Download:
Frogfoot I achieved 53/54 mbs. Ccc around 49mbs. (Support could not explain the reason for the reduced speed)

There were about 4 days where both were active at the same time when I tested.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
It's a bit confusing but basically CCC did the last mile deployment considering its their developments, and FF does the backhaul, but they are also able to offer services using CCC.

leppie

Looks like Ocototel Cape Gate is losing capacity again...

They did their rondebosch maintainance on the last red spike
1633602010076.png

Getting a lot more avg latency in peak times.

And just now in the last hour or so, it seems their switch is doing that funny thing it did last time (buffer something)...

I added maximum latency to this graph (pink).

1633602119985.png

WinMTR to 154.0.0.246

Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                              ZyXEL.Home -    0 |  276 |  276 |    0 |    1 |   29 |    0 |
|                             154.0.0.238 -    1 |  273 |  272 |    2 |    5 |   52 |   29 |
|                             154.0.0.246 -    1 |  273 |  272 |    2 |    6 |   82 |    7 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

@PBCool @TheRoDent can you find out what is going on?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Looks like Ocototel Cape Gate is losing capacity again...

They did their rondebosch maintainance on the last red spike
View attachment 1162030

Getting a lot more avg latency in peak times.

And just now in the last hour or so, it seems their switch is doing that funny thing it did last time (buffer something)...

I added maximum latency to this graph (pink).

View attachment 1162032

WinMTR to 154.0.0.246

Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| ZyXEL.Home - 0 | 276 | 276 | 0 | 1 | 29 | 0 |
| 154.0.0.238 - 1 | 273 | 272 | 2 | 5 | 52 | 29 |
| 154.0.0.246 - 1 | 273 | 272 | 2 | 6 | 82 | 7 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

@PBCool @TheRoDent can you find out what is going on?
Please log this for me and give me the ref, there is nothing we can do without following procedure first unfortunately.

SFW007

Expert Member
For sure can you give me your application ref
Thanks for the help here received router very pleased with the Comms from your agents.

Kept me up to date with the entire process.

Question my line cancels with websquad tomorrow how soon can it be activated once they release ont

Phinix

Expert Member
@PBCool So Telkom decided to disconnect our home telephone line, as apparently they are removing all the copper in the area.
What is the process and how difficult is it to set up VoIP on the fiber line?

Overblaze

Hi @PBCool , can you kindly assist with escalating ticket #COOL-20210908-765661 with Octotel please. I have construction work that is being held up. Thanks in advance and have a good day further.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thanks for the help here received router very pleased with the Comms from your agents.

Kept me up to date with the entire process.

Question my line cancels with websquad tomorrow how soon can it be activated once they release ont
Which FNO again? Typically the same day as its released.

image132

Expert Member
@PBCool So Telkom decided to disconnect our home telephone line, as apparently they are removing all the copper in the area.
What is the process and how difficult is it to set up VoIP on the fiber line?

Very easy. Did it recently myself. Quality is good, far superior to telkoms on both their copper and LTE. The handset is a bit pricey but feels good and if you get the wireless one it works off of PoE which is a nice bonus. They will do a number port for you if you want to keep your landline number but you'll need your most recent bill from telkom and proof of payment showing its been paid.

The only downsides of it are that there is no free landline to landline calls (although considering how much cheaper than telkom it is you would have to talk a lot to even catch the base price of telkoms phone) and coolideas don't send you a combined bill so you will have to pay two separate bills, one for your internet and then like a week later one for your phone which is kind of annoying.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Very easy. Did it recently myself. Quality is good, far superior to telkoms on both their copper and LTE. The handset is a bit pricey but feels good and if you get the wireless one it works off of PoE which is a nice bonus. They will do a number port for you if you want to keep your landline number but you'll need your most recent bill from telkom and proof of payment showing its been paid.

The only downsides of it are that there is no free landline to landline calls (although considering how much cheaper than telkom it is you would have to talk a lot to even catch the base price of telkoms phone) and coolideas don't send you a combined bill so you will have to pay two separate bills, one for your internet and then like a week later one for your phone which is kind of annoying.
So voip to voip is basically free on the same carrier, we are working on the combined bill thing. The challenge is that it takes a few days to export the data from the voip provider.

grantduke

@PBCool So my Frogfoot line issue still hasn't been resolved. A ticket with Frogfoot was logged: 1185961 and they were looking into it. They were going to send their maintenance guys over to see if they can improve the light levels.

I've been in direct email comms with them to provide them with stats etc. I then emailed them on the 6th of October with more stats, and to get info on when they sending someone out. They just replied and said that CISP closed the ticket on the 28th of September.

No one from Cool Ideas side has made contact with me to follow up on if the issue has been resovled or not.

1633613396439.png

CoolChick

Cool Ideas Rep
Company Rep
@PBCool So my Frogfoot line issue still hasn't been resolved. A ticket with Frogfoot was logged: 1185961 and they were looking into it. They were going to send their maintenance guys over to see if they can improve the light levels.

I've been in direct email comms with them to provide them with stats etc. I then emailed them on the 6th of October with more stats, and to get info on when they sending someone out. They just replied and said that CISP closed the ticket on the 28th of September.

No one from Cool Ideas side has made contact with me to follow up on if the issue has been resovled or not.

View attachment 1162260
Hi Grant. We will have someone from the team reach out shortly.