Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Vumatel outage apologies, once I have more info I'll update.

Mars

Honorary Master
Must have been something on your side of the road since I've been streaming The International on Twitch and not one drop
Interesting. I'm basically in flamingo vlei, I hope it doesnt happen again.

That said, my speed seems a little better tho.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Interesting. I'm basically in flamingo vlei, I hope it doesnt happen again.

That said, my speed seems a little better tho.
Mines perfect 50/50 and streaming 1080P via Chromecast

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211012-124600_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20211012-124600_Speedtest.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30

Mars

Honorary Master
I find those speed tests always max my line speed, but if I use the google speed test I get better results.

This morning before the disconnect I was getting about 25 either way on my 100mg line, now its much better:

Capture.PNG

shooter_za

Anyone else down West Beach/Table View CPT On Octotel? Can’t see any notices anywhere.

Loadshedding has been strange this time round. Usually the fiber connection would not drop, but now it goes off 10 min at power fail/restore. Not sure if related.

shooter_za

Restart of fiber box worked...the first time I've ever had to do that in years. My whole network is power backed up, so I never get reset. Why would the fiber go down during loadshedding this time, like red lights down? On fail and restore. Don't octotel use batteries for backup anymore?

justhazard

Anyone else down Broadacres/Fourways? Been down since 22:10 and everyone else with CI in complex also out

jannier

Expert Member
Restart of fiber box worked...the first time I've ever had to do that in years. My whole network is power backed up, so I never get reset. Why would the fiber go down during loadshedding this time, like red lights down? On fail and restore. Don't octotel use batteries for backup anymore?
Well there could be multiple reasons for it happening at the PoP. Glitch during cutover from Eskom to Battery. Batteries faulty of getting old not holding charge. Generator not kicked in fast enough or not at all............... , or like you say, no battery backup. Also something along the path at multiple points between you and CISP their could have been a glitch, failure due to loadshedding. It becomes noticeable when there are loadshedding that continues for days, as the batteries do not get time to fully recharge, or generators run out of fuel and cannot get replenish fast enough. The higher the loadshedding Stage the more failover and failures also starts cascading, like when we had that Stage 4 & 6 last year or year before.... caused a quite a bit of chaos.

grantduke

Service light on ONT went out. PPoE came back, but still no internet. Anyone else?

FNO: Frogfoot

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Service light on ONT went out. PPoE came back, but still no internet. Anyone else?

FNO: Frogfoot
Sent at 10:19

Dear Frogfoot Customer,

Please be advised of the following Standard maintenance:

Change Request Reference:FRG1532073
Change Title:Redundancy upgrades and failover tests | Parklands
Maintenance Type:Standard
Maintenance Description:The team needs to bring up the MC-LAG redundancy to the OLT from both Ciena switches.
Technical Description:The team will fix and implement MC-LAG redundancy toward Parklands OLT, test failover on MC-LAG as well as the backup path along the metro-E.
Impact Description:There will be intermittent Connectivity during the cut-over.
Reason for change:Network Upgrades required to ensure optimal redundancy toward Parklands OLT.
Probability of customer impact:Certain
Maintenance Date and Time:2021-10-12 23:00:00.0 to 2021-10-13 06:30:00.0
Change Status:Change Completed

grantduke

Sent at 10:19

Dear Frogfoot Customer,

Please be advised of the following Standard maintenance:

Change Request Reference:FRG1532073
Change Title:Redundancy upgrades and failover tests | Parklands
Maintenance Type:Standard
Maintenance Description:The team needs to bring up the MC-LAG redundancy to the OLT from both Ciena switches.
Technical Description:The team will fix and implement MC-LAG redundancy toward Parklands OLT, test failover on MC-LAG as well as the backup path along the metro-E.
Impact Description:There will be intermittent Connectivity during the cut-over.
Reason for change:Network Upgrades required to ensure optimal redundancy toward Parklands OLT.
Probability of customer impact:Certain
Maintenance Date and Time:2021-10-12 23:00:00.0 to 2021-10-13 06:30:00.0
Change Status:Change Completed
:mad: why do they always f things up. Like don't they stage these changes in a Dev/QC instances first

DYreX146

Any update on the KZN NLD? You guys said you were hoping for it to be done by the end of last week.