Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Sigh, another day, another disconnect from Octotel... managed to previous IP back doing a double reconnect, but now 1.1.1.1 is routing to JHB instead of CPT :|
So that is more an IP block and advertisement thing, PM me your IP? As mentioned before we advertise the same to Cloudflare nationally.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Just some more information on this, Metrofibre had received a request to cancel the line, however this did not come from me.
I live in a sort of simplex, so this is worrying if others can issue termination requests on my line with nothing but my address details.
Simply reply stating you didn't cancel?
Typically it's just an administrative fault. PM me your account details if you can.

Last edited:

Clintie

Gentlemen, what is the deal with MFN? Honestly. Every month like clockwork the network goes down and to date no one can advise what the cause of this issue is. See attached. I mean it is 2021 and we still can’t get a reliable internet service because as Murphy would have it it’s always broken when you need it most

Attachments

• 33A10C2F-EFBF-4AFC-97B7-A3F8E54D67F4.jpeg
    33A10C2F-EFBF-4AFC-97B7-A3F8E54D67F4.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 34

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Gentlemen, what is the deal with MFN? Honestly. Every month like clockwork the network goes down and to date no one can advise what the cause of this issue is. See attached. I mean it is 2021 and we still can’t get a reliable internet service because as Murphy would have it it’s always broken when you need it most
Sorry about that what is the feedback on each service down? Line downs?

Markd

Expert Member
Multiple disconnects tonight in Cape Town/Octotel. I've had 4 today so far, 3 in the last 3 hours or so. Anything up / anyone else in the area having similair issues? It's been stable for weeks so this is frustrating to see again.

Clintie

Sorry about that what is the feedback on each service down? Line downs?
Yup always line down. No issue on your end but ultimately it costs ISPs in my area because me and my neighbours are on our last thread of patience. Many have moved to Rain and the tech types can’t wait for Tesla’s Starlink….
Any chance you guys can find out from within MFN what these constant outages are caused by?

Skowt

Multiple disconnects tonight in Cape Town/Octotel. I've had 4 today so far, 3 in the last 3 hours or so. Anything up / anyone else in the area having similair issues? It's been stable for weeks so this is frustrating to see again.

Noticing the same this side. I'm trying to spot it using MTR to reddit.com but noticing a lot in CoD. Pings usually 30-50 shooting between 90-120 on a couple servers.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yup always line down. No issue on your end but ultimately it costs ISPs in my area because me and my neighbours are on our last thread of patience. Many have moved to Rain and the tech types can’t wait for Tesla’s Starlink….
Any chance you guys can find out from within MFN what these constant outages are caused by?
Of course, let me bring this up with our FNO liaison.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Please log for me, disconnects on Octotel are a daily struggle at the moment unfortunately.

zoozi

Expert Member
Packet loss to local game server, friend on Vox has the same, both Southern Cape Town.

1634246840867.png

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Packet loss to local game server, friend on Vox has the same, both Southern Cape Town.

View attachment 1167464
There doesn't seem to be any loss to the actual game server itself.

It's quite possible for routers along the path to drop pings which carries the lowest priority.

As long as there is no loss at the destination it's fine.

leppie

Looks like Octotel is back to their old nonsense... another 2 disconnects since the other reported yesterday.

One just now while I am bloody working on prod data... :(

leppie

Another 'disconnect'. It seems the recovery time is faster now (6-7 minutes), and I my router's PPPoE connection does not drop. But line is dead for that time.

Are these Foctotel guys just randomly rebooting switches without a care in the world?

Burr

Anyone having issues in Durban? No connection, Morningside - Openserve

grantduke

Does cisp.co.za (154.0.6.72) have any sort of rate-limiting on of 32 seconds or 32 seconds of going down?

1634330065679.png

Krazee

After a month of struggling with constant, daily micro bursts of packet loss on my connection, and being bounced around between
Cool Ideas and Vumatel, I am still no closer to a resolution. Each party has been blaming the other, leaving me as the paying customer in the middle.

To add insult to injury, someone at Cool Ideas decided to cancel by fibre line at 5am this morning.
When I called support this morning, they themselves could not get hold of the Connect department - no Vumatel ISP reference number was able
to be given, since the issue originated at Cool Ideas. I was also told my line would be up and running by 3pm today, I'm still offline.

Support has really dropped the ball on this, and especially over a weekend, , without any remediation steps in place to rectify the situation.

This is totally unacceptable , and I hope @PBCool and @TheRoDent can look into this , CISP's support has taken steps to be better than they used to be , but having staff that cannot resolve above average technical problems is a major downfall.

I've been really happy with the performance of my line, but between the miscommunication and lack of feedback , I don't think I can remain a CISP customer for much longer.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
After a month of struggling with constant, daily micro bursts of packet loss on my connection, and being bounced around between
Cool Ideas and Vumatel, I am still no closer to a resolution. Each party has been blaming the other, leaving me as the paying customer in the middle.

To add insult to injury, someone at Cool Ideas decided to cancel by fibre line at 5am this morning.
When I called support this morning, they themselves could not get hold of the Connect department - no Vumatel ISP reference number was able
to be given, since the issue originated at Cool Ideas. I was also told my line would be up and running by 3pm today, I'm still offline.

Support has really dropped the ball on this, and especially over a weekend, , without any remediation steps in place to rectify the situation.

This is totally unacceptable , and I hope @PBCool and @TheRoDent can look into this , CISP's support has taken steps to be better than they used to be , but having staff that cannot resolve above average technical problems is a major downfall.

I've been really happy with the performance of my line, but between the miscommunication and lack of feedback , I don't think I can remain a CISP customer for much longer.
Post your ticket references they will ask for it :)