Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Clintie

They are splitter/splicing domes, basically where fibre meets and is joined or it's split via it's pontree. They typically aren't valuable but are sometimes assumed to contain copper.
understood. Im not sure they would divulge but if we could have its location maybe we could get the councillor there to build some deterrent around it. Cant believe they haven't thought of further protecting it somehow.

jannier

Expert Member
understood. Im not sure they would divulge but if we could have its location maybe we could get the councillor there to build some deterrent around it. Cant believe they haven't thought of further protecting it somehow.

Julle sal maar moet beurt maak en gaan patrol sit daar by die domes sodat hulle nie julle se fibre steel lie. :sneaky:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Blech! International is borked for the last 10m

Frogfoot 100/100 trenched - Pinelands Cape Town

grantduke

Blech! International is borked for the last 10m

Frogfoot 100/100 trenched - Pinelands Cape Town
You testing to any specific servers? Got 30 down, but upload is down the drain.

12213397882.png

grantduke

@PBCool Any potential reason for lower than normal upload?

FTTH: Cool Ideas
12214758099.png

FTTB: Cool Ideas Business
12214762123.png

The same speedtest.net server was used: London, Coreix Ltd

tardomatic

@PBCool Any potential reason for lower than normal upload?

FTTH: Cool Ideas
12214758099.png

FTTB: Cool Ideas Business
12214762123.png

The same speedtest.net server was used: London, Coreix Ltd
are you using Edge? I get the same issue with Edge - international upload wont go above 5 - 6Mbps

jannier

Expert Member
Twitch/league ain't working. Only my side?
This? which live channel?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Blech! Whatever FF changed caused some of my international routing (echo devices, Shelly switches, blizzard, plus a few others) to go via such slow hops somewhere in the US that the endpoints timed out (I used pingplotter and a VPN to figure it out).

Powered down the ONT (nothing else) for 5 minutes and got lucky ie seems I got shunted onto a non-borked routing table when the ONT came back up.

So, for the time being, my internet seems back to normal.

It's bloody irritating though - I struggled for weeks the previous time this happened.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Blech! Whatever FF changed caused some of my international routing (echo devices, Shelly switches, blizzard, plus a few others) to go via such slow hops somewhere in the US that the endpoints timed out (I used pingplotter and a VPN to figure it out).

Powered down the ONT (nothing else) for 5 minutes and got lucky ie seems I got shunted onto a non-borked routing table when the ONT came back up.

So, for the time being, my internet seems back to normal.

It's bloody irritating though - I struggled for weeks the previous time this happened.
FF has no control of how we route packets?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
FF has no control of how we route packets?

Then I have no idea why shutting down the ONT 'fixed' the problem - that's the only change I made.

Per the notes on my previous ticket - FF changed something in that instance as well and miraculously solved my issues.

PS my before, after and VPN pingplotter traces are recorded in the ticket record

Last edited:

grantduke

Then I have no idea why shutting down the ONT 'fixed' the problem - that's the only change I made.

Per the notes on my previous ticket - FF changed something in that instance as well and miraculously solved my issues.

PS my before, after and VPN pingplotter traces are recorded in the ticket record
How vastly different was the routes? I know that Cool Ideas has got more than one gateway on Frogfoot's network. So depending on if your PPPoE connect dies and reconnects, you might be connected via a different gateway