Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Hunted

It seem to have fixed itself. We were in a DUO game and both are with CISP in CPT region and both dropped in game and TS.

Thanks anyway.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I'm glad to hear that it's reliable. Thanks.

Also, it's actually cheaper at Scoop. ;) And Miro are currently out of stock.
Well, it ok for its price especially for people on a tight budget but for a business its a non-starter. The older models do have the occasional, turn me off and on again every couple of months and they don't provider firmware updates... And don't ever use the USB port for another else but for charging a cell phone as its an eternalblue honey pot.
Finally its a bit aggressive on the call home which you can blackhole if using a pihole which you can powerup using the USB port.

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

There are three core routers carrying traffic to the UK in CPT, two of which are following an accelerated path.
As part of yesteday's maintenance there was some rearchitecting of the core, and upgrades to the accelerator.

We've left one path unacellerated, in case there are issues with the upgrade. Will monitor over the next day or two and if all is well, we'll put everything through the accelerators.

So depending on how the loadbalancing works, you might have an accelerated path and other times not.

Hunted

For info.
Ex CPT to the UK - 1Gbps
1612010303310.png

Local - Slower than International on Speedtest.net

1612010421061.png
1612010571011.png

I still haven't figured out why the speed test results always shows lower than what I actually get.

jannier

Expert Member
For info.
Ex CPT to the UK - 1Gbps
View attachment 1003430

Local - Slower than International on Speedtest.net

View attachment 1003432
View attachment 1003440

I still haven't figured out why the speed test results always shows lower than what I actually get.

Normally either router ports are not 1Gbps capable. The Router hardware cannot handle 1Gbps, or wrong Cable or faulty cable.

What is your router model?
What Ethernet CAT cable are you using?
What FNO? (EDIT: I see the previous post you say Vuma, is that Aerial or trenched?)

Last edited:

Redwhistle

Well, it ok for its price especially for people on a tight budget but for a business its a non-starter. The older models do have the occasional, turn me off and on again every couple of months and they don't provider firmware updates... And don't ever use the USB port for another else but for charging a cell phone as its an eternalblue honey pot.
Finally its a bit aggressive on the call home which you can blackhole if using a pihole which you can powerup using the USB port.
So that last paragraph really flew over my head. I was able to figure out blackholing is and how a pihole works but I still don't get what "a bit aggressive on the call home" means.

That aside, I gather that you have some reservations with this router. Assuming that I'm not on such a tight budget, what other routers would you recommend? What I like about Tenda routers is the reach of those antennas and the guest network and child protection settings so I definitely want those in any router that I buy.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
So that last paragraph really flew over my head. I was able to figure out blackholing is and how a pihole works but I still don't get what "a bit aggressive on the call home" means.

That aside, I gather that you have some reservations with this router. Assuming that I'm not on such a tight budget, what other routers would you recommend? What I like about Tenda routers is the reach of those antennas and the guest network and child protection settings so I definitely want those in any router that I buy.
I believe @r00igev@@r means the routers' general builtin functionality to check for firmware updates etc, from the tenda website, or do things like dynamic DNS updates.

@r00igev@@r is quite a stickler for data leakage, security and "things that a router does without my permission".

So, what he did is setup a raspberry pi, that will blackhole DNS requests from the router to it's "call home" domain name, and he's powering the PI from the USB port of the router, and telling the router to use the PI as a DNS server, as well as the lan users. Pihole allows for control over DNS requests, and basic content filtering etc, based on DNS. Similar to the child protection you have built-in to the router. The child protection probably updates from a list provided by Tenda, so @r00igev@@r would probably classify that as "call home" too...

As an end-user I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you're totally paranoid like @r00igev@@r

It's a decent consumer router from the looks of things.

Hunted

Normally either router ports are not 1Gbps capable. The Router hardware cannot handle 1Gbps, or wrong Cable or faulty cable.

What is your router model?
What Ethernet CAT cable are you using?
What FNO?
My Router is 1Gbps capable - Asus RT-AC68U. She has plenty of power - All my cables is Cat 5E - Ethernet shows 1 Gbps and on Vuma.

I might have a setting I need to check on the router to ensure better throughput.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
My Router is 1Gbps capable - Asus RT-AC68U. She has plenty of power - All my cables is Cat 5E - Ethernet shows 1 Gbps and on Vuma.

I might have a setting I need to check on the router to ensure better throughput.
Or nic drivers as well, typically if local results are worse than international you have really bad loss on your line.

jannier

Expert Member

Check Filter & QoS rules and if Hardware offload or some similar feature is enabled, those can all effect the overall speed.