Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Still a crazy amount of packet loss, I can't even watch a YouTube video.

View attachment 1313358
Hi,

We are experiencing a couple of major NLD outages. We are running on backup of backup NLD's which is now severely congested.

Apologies for the issues. We are working on rerouting.
Saw this on Afrihosts feed today and its probably more than likely related since almost everyone uses the same NLD's out of Durban

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Well this speedtest was to a server in Durban so it can't be NLD related.
Ah i read the "During the periods of instability, speedtests to JHB show about 40Mbps download on a 100Mbps line and CPT shows less than 10Mbps." and saw 16ms ping on the speedtest so thought it was to JHB

DYreX146

Ah i read the "During the periods of instability, speedtests to JHB show about 40Mbps download on a 100Mbps line and CPT shows less than 10Mbps." and saw 16ms ping on the speedtest so thought it was to JHB
Yeah it seems to have got a lot worse since then, because even Durban speedtest is at a crawl. Also packet loss is much worse now as well and it starts from the gateway hop.

1653155938960.png

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Poor youtube streaming performance again today, is this just the new norm?
If you get lucky Google reroutes you to an EU cache and you have no problems otherwise you generally go to JHB and have poor performance.

I've been lucky and generally go to Amsterdam and have no issues but yesterday I went to a JHB cache and couldn't even stream 360p...

They been promising upgrades but it just gets pushing out and out. Gaming on their servers has been hell too...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Been struggling to watch YT atm, https://redirector.googlevideo.com/report_mapping?di=no says i am being sent to Kenya... i activated Warp (Cloudflare free VPN) and its sending me to "giganet-kbp5" and everything is running perfect so looks like a solution

Seacom actually cut off Cloudflare's access to their GGC caches and I think Cloudflare is using a partners cache in the UK because giganet is in the UK.

Jason-ZA

Seacom actually cut off Cloudflare's access to their GGC caches and I think Cloudflare is using a partners cache in the UK because giganet is in the UK.

Looks like some of their CPT IP blocks still have access to Seacom:

Code:
8.35.59.66 => seacom-cpt1 (8.35.59.0/24)

Trace to IP serving the content (found with IPvFoo chrome plugin)
tracert 41.206.98.14

Tracing route to cache.google.com [41.206.98.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  172.16.0.1
  2    14 ms    13 ms    11 ms  172.68.185.1
  3    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  105.22.64.225
  4    14 ms    13 ms    13 ms  xe-0-0-2-0.dr-01-cpt.za.seacomnet.com [105.16.30.14]
  5    13 ms    11 ms    12 ms  cache.google.com [41.206.98.14]

Trace complete.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I have two warp configs one warp + and then a normal warp i made for a friend (we use it via wireguard)

The one i made for my friend is being pulled from Seacom

1653246887659.png

My CISP connection when i terminated the VPN is now connecting to Frankfurt

EDIT: after confirming the above i am back to Kenya

DYreX146

Using CISP DNS and going to Kenya at the moment, I generally seem to go to Amsterdam though I've never gotten the CISP cache
I've only ever got the CISP one and I've never really had any problems with YouTube. Using 1.1.1.1 DNS.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
If you get lucky Google reroutes you to an EU cache and you have no problems otherwise you generally go to JHB and have poor performance.

I've been lucky and generally go to Amsterdam and have no issues but yesterday I went to a JHB cache and couldn't even stream 360p...

They been promising upgrades but it just gets pushing out and out. Gaming on their servers has been hell too...
From our side we recently deployed another cluster so we have enough capacity via caches but if their transit is still congested it won't really matter.

DYreX146

Has this stabilised? Please log if it hasn't for me.
It stabilised after about 10pm that night, thanks. I'm pretty sure it was congestion somewhere because I remember the same thing happened (without as much packet loss) the night Warzone Season 3 update released about a month ago, which was also a public holiday.