TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
For info.
Ex CPT to the UK - 1Gbps
View attachment 1003430

Local - Slower than International on Speedtest.net

View attachment 1003432
View attachment 1003440

I still haven't figured out why the speed test results always shows lower than what I actually get.

It does seem like an artificial 500mbps limit somewhere. Which FNO ( I see from prev posts its Vumatel) are you on and if you want, please PM me some account information.

Was it like this before Friday's maintenance ?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I believe @r00igev@@r means the routers' general builtin functionality to check for firmware updates etc, from the tenda website, or do things like dynamic DNS updates.

@r00igev@@r is quite a stickler for data leakage, security and "things that a router does without my permission".

So, what he did is setup a raspberry pi, that will blackhole DNS requests from the router to it's "call home" domain name, and he's powering the PI from the USB port of the router, and telling the router to use the PI as a DNS server, as well as the lan users. Pihole allows for control over DNS requests, and basic content filtering etc, based on DNS. Similar to the child protection you have built-in to the router. The child protection probably updates from a list provided by Tenda, so @r00igev@@r would probably classify that as "call home" too...

As an end-user I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you're totally paranoid like @r00igev@@r

It's a decent consumer router from the looks of things.
That about sums it up. The higher end routers are too difficult for a normal person to setup.

Even pihole can be challenging but it is damn good code. I also get lists for pihole from here: https://energized.pro/ and then there is a saffer with this: https://github.com/Ultimate-Hosts-Blacklist/Ultimate.Hosts.Blacklist

PS: I'm not paranoid - just tinkering!

jannier

Expert Member
And scaring off people that want to use Tenda routers .... :laugh:
Is it not a Chinese brand? Watch out all your data activity is sent to the Chinese government. :ROFL: Lets get people more paranoid then they already are! :laugh:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Is it not a Chinese brand? Watch out all your data activity is sent to the Chinese government. :ROFL: Lets get people more paranoid then they already are! :laugh:

So, is TP-Link, Linksys, and practically any other consumer router :)

All manufactured in China. It's really about the software, and my viewpoint has always been -- if you can flash OpenWRT on the router, it's a good router.

Linksys made their fame and fortune by (under duress) having to release the Linux source code for the Linksys WRT54-G, which made it one of the most moddable routers in the world.

In fact, they're still selling the same hardware today, because it's been so popular. Many vendors, including Netgear these days sell their routers as "moddable" and "open source".

And it's not THAT niche anymore ;)

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
There are three core routers carrying traffic to the UK in CPT, two of which are following an accelerated path.
As part of yesteday's maintenance there was some rearchitecting of the core, and upgrades to the accelerator.

We've left one path unacellerated, in case there are issues with the upgrade. Will monitor over the next day or two and if all is well, we'll put everything through the accelerators.

So depending on how the loadbalancing works, you might have an accelerated path and other times not.
I honestly think this guy sits at his PC 99% of the time and just keeps on doing speed tests "Sad Life"

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I honestly think this guy sits at his PC 99% of the time and just keeps on doing speed tests "Sad Life"
Er, what ? @jannier is my internet barometer .... The only client I have on my personal Whatsapp....

And to be frank, his posts did show up our CPT accelerator issues, which we adressed.

Last edited:

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Er, what ? @jannier is my internet barometer .... The only customer I have on Whatsapp....

And to be frank, his posts did show up our accelerator issues, which we adressed.

As it is you should have and probably do have systems in place that look at these figures I do it on my clients networks non stop it checks to see when we have a issue and alerts me

I understand but Speedtest after Speedtest is a bit much like myself and Cavedog talk on whatsapp and share info but don’t live on the forum to hear about it non stop

The internet does go up and down every now and the but if I cried about it non stop it would be too much most of the time you just need to wait a hour or so and things will most likely be fine

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
As it is you should have and probably do have systems in place that look at these figures I do it on my clients networks non stop it checks to see when we have a issue and alerts me

I understand but Speedtest after Speedtest is a bit much like myself and Cavedog talk on whatsapp and share info but don’t live on the forum to hear about it non stop

The internet does go up and down every now and the but if I cried about it non stop it would be too much most of the time you just need to wait a hour or so and things will most likely be fine

Alright.

We do monitor vehemently. We were certainly aware that our accelerator setup wasn't optimal after Friday's changes in Cape Town, but there were reasons for it.

It's not always possible to get the true customer experience, without having some feedback loop. This thread and the feedback on MyBB is incredibly important to us, which is why both me and @PBCool participate here.

Dissing someone for doing speedtests -- "having a sad life", and providing feedback on this forum seems counter-intuitive.

@jannier is a power client and I know if I can keep his service working the way he expects it to, it's a good thing, because it means that I've been able to provide a service to a demanding client that meets their expectations.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Alright.

We do monitor vehemently. We were certainly aware that our accelerator setup wasn't optimal after Friday's changes in Cape Town, but there were reasons for it.

It's not always possible to get the true customer experience, without having some feedback loop. This thread and the feedback on MyBB is incredibly important to us, which is why both me and @PBCool participate here.

Dissing someone for doing speedtests -- "having a sad life", and providing feedback on this forum seems counter-intuitive.

@jannier is a power client and I know if I can keep his service working the way he expects it to, is a good thing, because it means that I've been able to provide a service to a demanding client that meets their expectations.

Trust me I’m very demanding on the network just rashing someone non stop is a bit much I do easily 16TB a month etc on my connection with you. But I go ask 6-8 of my friends I play games with who we all on cisp if we all agree there is a issue then I do something about otherwise isolated then it’s FNO.

I think I have no over 30 clients on your network now, and the most recent being that Vodacom client but you don’t see me sending a message non stop asking what’s the update etc

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Trust me I’m very demanding on the network just rashing someone non stop is a bit much I do easily 16TB a month etc on my connection with you. But I go ask 6-8 of my friends I play games with who we all on cisp if we all agree there is a issue then I do something about otherwise isolated then it’s FNO.

I think I have no over 30 clients on your network now, and the most recent being that Vodacom client but you don’t see me sending a message non stop asking what’s the update etc

OK, I hardly think he was "non-stop messaging", but in any case.

You're always welcome to PM if you need direct attention from either me or @PBCool, it's what we're here for, and we value the feedback.

Glad to hear you've done so many referrals to us! Highly appreciated.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

Also, I have a question about your profile pic.... :D

jannier

Expert Member
I am sorry to read you are having what seems to be a bad day. Very sorry that I am adding to your frustrations, is not my intention. :oops:
I am not going to attempt to explain or "defend" myself, it would be pointless.

I see @TheRoDent has tried to explain and come to my defense, Thank you Roelf! :giggle:
I can commend @TheRoDent and @PBCool commitment here, been the best experience I had since Fibre was installed in February 2018 and then getting 1Gbps about 10 months later.
As you already do I can validate and highly recommence CoolIdeas as an ISP to anyone. Friend, Family and Foe.
It has been 98 - 99% reliable, and the odd occasions things are resolved amicably and professionally.

Wishing you a good day! :thumbsup:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
All manufactured in China. It's really about the software, and my viewpoint has always been -- if you can flash OpenWRT on the router, it's a good router.
If I could mod that tenda using openwrt I would buy more of it.