Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
doesn't cisp use 1.1.1.1 for their upstream DNS anyway (they recently moved from 8.8.8. I think?)
Don't know how they do it but someone showed me this one the other day. https://www.knot-resolver.cz/ You can take cloudflare, google, quad9 and opendns (or any other resolver) and will choose the best one to use. and cache it. It will also check domain signing, It is actually the software that 1.1.1.1 is built on.
DNSMASQ also has the same ability but most routers don't expose those settings and have a poor default.

S.Claus

Expert Member
It will depend if they want to fix it, it's possible they aren't going to do much to improve by a few ms on a home service.
I used to have an average ping of 16ms back in 2018 when I was running my 10/1 ADSL line now I am not far off with 10-15ms to Johannesburg on fibre. I really want to know what changed so my ping went from 3.9ms to 10ms+

StoneCold

Expert Member
Recently, or rather for the past couple of months, I've been having issues accessing https://nzbs.in

Is it due to some sort of cloudflare issue / routing to the site with regards to cloudflare services? Using a VPN, I'm able to access the site, without it, I'm presented with a 522 Error.

Is there anything that can be done to remedy this without the need for a VPN? I see on the nzbs.in forums a lot of South African users complain about the same thing.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I used to have an average ping of 16ms back in 2018 when I was running my 10/1 ADSL line now I am not far off with 10-15ms to Johannesburg on fibre. I really want to know what changed so my ping went from 3.9ms to 10ms+
Underlying metro network, it's vast and complex so your packets are using a short path and then the longer path what looks like a load balancing sort of algorithm.

S.Claus

Expert Member
Underlying metro network, it's vast and complex so your packets are using a short path and then the longer path what looks like a load balancing sort of algorithm.
Can I file a complaint with Openserve? I honestly don't care too much about speed (could probably get away with 50Mbps if it wasn't for updates/downloads) but latency plays a big factor and it's frustrating to know it could be better.

guessing all this is due to the free speed upgrades.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Can I file a complaint with Openserve? I honestly don't care too much about speed (could probably get away with 50Mbps if it wasn't for updates/downloads) but latency plays a big factor and it's frustrating to know it could be better.

guessing all this is due to the free speed upgrades.
Well let's see what we can do with it, as I mentioned it's possible we get a response that they wont change anything as they load balance via the two paths via MPLS, but worth a try.

S.Claus

Expert Member
Well let's see what we can do with it, as I mentioned it's possible we get a response that they wont change anything as they load balance via the two paths via MPLS, but worth a try.
Another option I have is switching to MFN. How would you rate them personally?

Edit: What does Openserve see as fair in regards to latency on a fibre network with let's say a 100km radius?

DYreX146

Honestly, I used to get 7ms to Durban on ADSL, right now I'm getting 8-10ms on fibre.