Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
So my Vuma Reach fibre was finally installed on 30 April 18 days after I placed my order. When the guys were done installing all the wiring and wanted to connect to the black box outside they discovered there were no ports available. Vumatel needs to do splicing apparently and it should have taken 72 hours but nothing yet. Cool Ideas contacted Vumatel and they replied that it has been sent to the RNO and they will advise once they’ve received feedback. Anyone know what the RNO is?
Do you have your application reference for me?

S.Claus

Expert Member
I did mention this is probably going to take time to be resolved, the team are doing what they can with Openserve. I am doing what I can to assist. It's just a lot of back and forth.
I get that there's a due process that needs to be followed but to be fair it's being 48 days since this started. Between five Cool Ideas staff members, two Openserve Technicians, and an Openserve Engineer nobody being able to figure out what the problem is (well somebody figured out what the problem was and fixed it for about a week but that person seems to have vanished). The sad part is this isn't an isolated incident because the Cool Ideas staff indicated that other people in the area also complained which I confirmed by testing from a second location (5.6km away with 3 different ISPs) having the exact same problem.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I get that there's a due process that needs to be followed but to be fair it's being 48 days since this started. Between five Cool Ideas staff members, two Openserve Technicians, and an Openserve Engineer nobody being able to figure out what the problem is (well somebody figured out what the problem was and fixed it for about a week but that person seems to have vanished). The sad part is this isn't an isolated incident because the Cool Ideas staff indicated that other people in the area also complained which I confirmed by testing from a second location (5.6km away with 3 different ISPs) having the exact same problem.
Well exactly, it's not a case of we don't know what the issue is, this is clearly what is happening on the underlying layer2 on Openserves network, so Openserve needs to resolve.

And hence the delays and "due process" which is all the stuff between getting to a manager to allocate to a core engineer to investigate and either resolve or tell us this is how it's designed.

grantduke

@PBCool Could you please tell me what packages are offered over Frogfoot?

Speed and cost

I have requested this information from connect@cisp.co.za but I'm not getting anywhere. All that is being said is that Frogfoot isn't live yet (I know they aren't live, and will be live soon when the landlord give the green light. Fibre is already passed the building)

I just want to know how much it will cost me, but I'm being refused information :rolleyes:

COOL-20210505-677223

Thanks,
Grant

powermzii

Expert Member

Speed and cost

I have requested this information from connect@cisp.co.za but I'm not getting anywhere. All that is being said is that Frogfoot isn't live yet (I know they aren't live, and will be live soon when the landlord give the green light. Fibre is already passed the building)

I just want to know how much it will cost me, but I'm being refused information :rolleyes:

COOL-20210505-677223

Thanks,
Grant
1620231181734.png

1620231207382.png

jannier

Expert Member

Speed and cost

COOL-20210505-677223

Thanks,
Grant

https://coolideas.co.za/ftth-products/

ghostRgg

Anybody down in Durban/Openserve?

Confirmed whole of Westville is down, no update on the issue or if it's logged.

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
Ah, thank you!

I was just told: "Sorry we cannot do your application now"

View attachment 1063385

And all I wanted to know was the pricing.
What you could do is create a profile on frogfoot.co.za then enter your address and do a an application there. You will get a frogfoot reference then you once FF light up the complex you can use that with the ISP. The FF portal allows you to view pricing across different ISPs in one view

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Taking a long shot here probably not the best place to ask but anyway, anyone know a VPN with SAFE cable being used into Asia? NordVPN use to have a server that used Liquid Telecom that got me pretty decent latency to Asia but want to try Apex in Asia since EU at the moment is 190ms every game...

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Taking a long shot here probably not the best place to ask but anyway, anyone know a VPN with SAFE cable being used into Asia? NordVPN use to have a server that used Liquid Telecom that got me pretty decent latency to Asia but want to try Apex in Asia since EU at the moment is 190ms every game...
Is Apex on AWS? Or was it Google?

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Frogfoot notice:

Urgent notice - JHB

-- Widespread impact in JHB, Core team currently investigating to confirm impact.
-- Formal comms to follow shortly.

Outage title: Outage | JHB | Greater Gauteng Region
Outage ref (solid): FRG1307329
Impact start time: 2021-05-07 16:54:00
Impact: Down

Outage Update:
-- Frogfoot Core and ME team active troubleshooting with urgency
-- Problem has been identified with JHB AGGR SW3
-- More detailed update to follow in 20min

Outage title: Outage | JHB | Greater Gauteng Region
Outage ref (solid): FRG1307329
Impact start time: 2021-05-07 16:54:00
Impact: Down

Outage Update:

-- Remedy applied
-- Services restored
-- FF teams monitoring closely for stability, please confirm restoration.
-- update to follow in 20 min

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Just a heads-up we are enabling the normal AWS peering, please give me some feedback good or bad in the next few days.
1620402700206.png

I'll be that guy... Bahrain low latency is cool and all but you can't play half the game modes on here because no one uses that server, meanwhile Frankfurt which is a super popular server goes from 155ms CT ping to 200ms.

And Apex chooses servers randomly in a region so if we were to choose London, the chances of us getting London are 1/7 :(

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
View attachment 1064621

I'll be that guy... Bahrain low latency is cool and all but you can't play half the game modes on here because no one uses that server, meanwhile Frankfurt which is a super popular server goes from 155ms CT ping to 200ms.

And Apex chooses servers randomly in a region so if we were to choose London, the chances of us getting London are 1/7 :(

So, again, if we provide the lowest latency people complain that their games are choosing servers we don't control, languages we don't control, and game modes we don't control.

We had the same with SACS going to Brazil where we had ~80ms latency, which was the reason people wanted it in the first place, but then afterwards we got complaints, about game servers being select by the game which is not suitable to our client base. We then cancelled that cable....

I have so many open tickets from clients wanting to play Fortnite on Bahrain servers with low latency, but now we get the opposite view ?

We literally just started accepting AWS routes in South Africa, rather than transiting them ourselves, but if we accept AWS routes it's kinda hard to filter route what people want, and don't want.... AWS controls their own latency over their own cables, which is why we started filtering them heavily....

What should we do ?