Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
View attachment 1064621

I'll be that guy... Bahrain low latency is cool and all but you can't play half the game modes on here because no one uses that server, meanwhile Frankfurt which is a super popular server goes from 155ms CT ping to 200ms.

And Apex chooses servers randomly in a region so if we were to choose London, the chances of us getting London are 1/7 :(
Thanks for this, the major difference is that previously AWS peering teams were basically unreachable, they have geared up quite a bit and we now have some direct contacts. We mentioned our transport has better latency and they say their east coast cable also lands in France (so probably Eassy), so from what I can ascertain is they just let traffic route based on hop/distance. Hence Frankfurt taking an east coast cable and London taking a west coast with the better latency.

But I'll discuss this with them, they are also aware of the Bahrain gaming conundrum.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Thanks for this, the major difference is that previously AWS peering teams were basically unreachable, they have geared up quite a bit and we now have some direct contacts. We mentioned our transport has better latency and they say their east coast cable also lands in France (so probably Eassy), so from what I can ascertain is they just let traffic route based on hop/distance. Hence Frankfurt taking an east coast cable and London taking a west coast with the better latency.

But I'll discuss this with them, they are also aware of the Bahrain gaming conundrum.
If you can get them to change things cool but...

NordVPN pings (London connection)
1620410864300.png

Cool Ideas
1620410893534.png

We get screwed over with Belgium (Google) and now to get screwed over with AWS is like a double blow... If i could play on Nord with confidence i would... but as you can see... Packet loss galore...

As things currently are i regret to say i will not recommend CISP as an ISP...

AquaticAims

Correct i get 150ms to Bahrain vs 145 to London.

But my Frankfurt goes from 155 to 200. So might as well take an extra 15ms and go to New York
I 100% agree with this, I am a professional Apex Legends player and them tournaments are hosted on Frankfurt. This puts me at EVEN MORE of a disadvantage when competing.
On top of that the Bahrain servers are basically dead, especially for high ranked players like myself. In Apex if I queue for ranked I literally can NOT find a game. And in Overwatch if I queue for a game in Bahrain it takes OVER 45 MINUTES and still routes me Europe because they can not fill the servers with similarly ranked players.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

View attachment 1064659

Cool Ideas
View attachment 1064661

We get screwed over with Belgium (Google) and now to get screwed over with AWS is like a double blow... If i could play on Nord with confidence i would... but as you can see... Packet loss galore...

Nah agreed and all we want is the best possible performance even if it costs more money as we have done in the past. The problem is AWS doesn't accommodate customisations that make this an easy thing. But as mentioned to them, we would turn things up this way and dependant on the feedback we would let them know and adjust accordingly.

Phoenix_

I'm not a fan of the changes made with Amazon today, whenever I play a Overwatch game it forces me onto Bahrain servers and I wait forever for games and I have seen an increase in my pings in other games

Armizael

I'm not a fan of the changes made with Amazon today, whenever I play a Overwatch game it forces me onto Bahrain servers and I wait forever for games and I have seen an increase in my pings in other games
Same here, seeing the same in Apex and Overwatch - pretty dismal to be playing on Bahrain again.

Clintie

Any issues with MFN today? My fibre line is completely dead South of Joburg.

Ticket #COOL-20210508-679076

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

View attachment 1064659

Cool Ideas
View attachment 1064661

Alright, let's try an experiment.

I've setup a VPN server in our UK Datacentre.

It is a Softether based server that will allow the Softether native protocol, L2TP (without IPSec), and MS-SSTP connections. You will be natted out to a CISP IP in our UK datacentre. The service is available only to CISP clients.

The username is "test" and the password is "test". The host to connect to is "ukvpn.cisp.co.za"

Please give me some feedback as to whether helps at all with game server selections.

luckystrike

It is a Softether based server that will allow the Softether native protocol, L2TP (without IPSec), and MS-SSTP connections. You will be natted out to a CISP IP in our UK datacentre. The service is available only to CISP clients.

The username is "test" and the password is "test". The host to connect to is "ukvpn.cisp.co.za"

Please give me some feedback as to whether helps at all with game server selections.
I will give this a go this afternoon and let you know!

Armizael

Virtual Hub Name?

The VPN really isn't a great solution in my mind - in the same vein that console players can't use the VPN, a few people on CISP complained last night about the direct peering again and they don't know how to set up and use VPNs.
My work is also done on the Frankfurt AWS servers every day and the latency is higher now - having you guys *not* use the AWS direct peering was a pretty big reason why I was using you guys, as going directly through them always causes these issues.

luckystrike

Virtual hub name?

Genisys

Honorary Master

Is anyone allowed to test? I assume so?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Virtual Hub Name?

The VPN really isn't a great solution in my mind - in the same vein that console players can't use the VPN, a few people on CISP complained last night about the direct peering again and they don't know how to set up and use VPNs.
My work is also done on the Frankfurt AWS servers every day and the latency is higher now - having you guys *not* use the AWS direct peering was a pretty big reason why I was using you guys, as going directly through them always causes these issues.

This is the catch-22 right? The VPN server is an experiment whilst we make changes. I understand that for your use-case it's a problem now, but tweaking the received feed from AWS will take some time, and there's also the issue of asymmetric routing.

They do have some BGP community strings which will allow us to engineer better and potentially pick and choose routes and the announces we make to them, and where they end up.