Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Asking on behalf of a few acquaintances:

"If we put our cancellation in today would it only be affective end of next month?"

Armizael

OK, I have tweaked the routing for that subnet. Latency should be good now.
Gaming seems fine with the VPN, so that's great for the interim.

Ideally I wouldn't want to jump on a VPN for selective gaming or have the extra 40-50ms on all of my work instances in Frankfurt - I already have a work VPN I need to connect to in Frankfurt, so can't really get around that easily for now.

Do you guys have any idea of what the plan is going forward? Keep the peering up with AWS and hope they change the routes for the better?
I thought you guys went down this path before and they weren't real keen on changing anything, or just unresponsive.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Asking on behalf of a few acquaintances:

"If we put our cancellation in today would it only be affective end of next month?"
Well, no, we require a calendar month's notification. However we are discussing internally, and will likely revert the AWS routes back to our original path until we can find a better BGP filtering/route selection solution.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
View attachment 1064993

Yup looking good, and AWS looking back to normal ( via the VPN ) - just need to find the Google IP's somewhere...
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            192.168.30.1 -    0 |   21 |   21 |  162 |  163 |  170 |  164 |
|                                _gateway -    0 |   21 |   21 |  162 |  164 |  171 |  165 |
|                             100.98.1.98 -    0 |   21 |   21 |  162 |  164 |  171 |  165 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |    4 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |    4 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                         150.222.241.240 -    0 |   21 |   21 |  175 |  176 |  183 |  177 |
|ec2-52-214-106-241.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com -    0 |   21 |   21 |  174 |  176 |  183 |  177 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
eIJ91Igh.jpg

If you wanted to drop below that 160 mark something a user on the forums let me know about yesterday :)

These are CT pings so JHB would be like 20ms less

jannier

Expert Member
You get an ISP that uses SAFE or in this case a VPN, more specifically ExitLag in this case.

Thanks for the info, this will be very handy for me as I work with colleagues and customers in the Asia/Pacific/Oceania areas, and the latency is always a massive struggle during "remote desktop" viewing.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Thanks for the info, this will be very handy for me as I work with colleagues and customers in the Asia/Pacific/Oceania areas, and the latency is always a massive struggle during "remote desktop" viewing.
I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes, it made my ping to Singapore go from 360 to 124ms.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Yea Soul is the one who messaged me this app is very impressive, basically analyses where you are and all the routes to different regions and then you can select a route, so in the above case i selected a Singapore server and estimated ping was 133. Goes CT -> JHB -> SAFE cable to Singapore. So Australia ping goes down from like 450 to 200 odd. Only route they don't seem to have is SACS

remoten

View attachment 1065679

If you wanted to drop below that 160 mark something a user on the forums let me know about yesterday :)

These are CT pings so JHB would be like 20ms less

Aint Singapore basically filled with Chinese hackers 90% of the time? Granted EU still has its issues. I'm just happy with the VPN is keeping it stable ~

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Yea Soul is the one who messaged me this app is very impressive, basically analyses where you are and all the routes to different regions and then you can select a route, so in the above case i selected a Singapore server and estimated ping was 133. Goes CT -> JHB -> SAFE cable to Singapore. So Australia ping goes down from like 450 to 200 odd. Only route they don't seem to have is SACS

Exitlag is a very interesting "VPN" solution. From what I've seen with it installed on my desktop, it kind of "wraps" around the specific gaming/other application and seems to use some kind of Winsock "shim" to intercept specific socket connections to specific destinations and force it through the exitlag servers/VPN at the lowest determined ping.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Feedback from AWS yesterday:

Thanks for letting us know Paul, we will take a look and see if we can pin down the exact path and why the latency increased. Will get back to you shortly.

As mentioned previously AWS has asked to give them a chance in fixing the routing and latency, if they don't come right we will revert changes and go back to optimising filters.

Praemon

Expert Member
Anyone else’s internet dead? Have a connection, but zero throughput. Octotel Cape Gate.

Edit: getting traffic again.

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
@TheRoDent Will giev that UK VPN a test with PUBG wanna see if it helps a bit, but do you by any chance have one for the USA ?
All US traffic goes via London so having the VPN based in London nets you the same pings as normally to US. There is a slight variation where you can get a little better to certain parts of US if you compare the likes of Windscribe (M247) to Cogent.

Exitlag has basically best latency out there and has basically all routes and pings don't really get much better either place is just k#k far away

StoneCold

Expert Member
I'm trying to setup the test VPN via Softether, but I'm not doing something right.

What should the virtual hub name be? If any? Because if I don't specify anything there, then the "OK" button is not clickable.

I do specify the hostname as well as the username correctly though :unsure: