Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I honestly wouldn't be complaining if it was something small but it honestly just doesn't make me want to play the game, seeing some weird routing from Google to their Belgium server where the traceroute goes to 210 (normal and VPN is 180 going via London) and then i deal with AWS rouge routing as well so most nights its a gamble whether i get 140ms/150ms (London/Amsterdam) or 210 since both Google and Amazon EU routing has been questionable...

Not sure what is up with Google but its 140 to London (via VPN) and then another 30-40ms to Belgium on some servers.

And well Bahrain i can sit in queue with the 8 other people on the server.
We are still discussing this internally with all the involved teams. We have not forgotten about you and the case. I hope that I can provide you anything of value, or at least our approach to this, later tonight when I’ve had the chance to sync up with my colleagues in Seattle.

So if we don't get some further feedback in the next few days we will discuss internally to roll back.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Does anyone have any problems accessing or navigating ABSA online banking. Quite often get errors that it took to long to access the API. I know that they host on AWS, so just wondering if it's not related.
You have too many bank notes in your account and the money tray is taking too long to count them? :ROFL:

PS: I also know someone who might or might not be me that uses the red one a few times a month and haven't experienced that.

Reactions: MDE

FrankyF

Expert Member
Try restart your router and test again.
Much better, thanks!

Did additional testing and both local and international speeds are back to normal when doing speed tests. I've updated and resovled the ticket.

Many thanks again @PBCool ! Awesome support!

Good reason why CI is the No.1 ISP in SA

S.Claus

Expert Member
If you look at @S.Claus' situation his latency has a variance of around ~12ms and Openserves feedback is that this is fine, in your case a 4ms variance Openserve wouldn't even entertain investigating.

Possibly once we have some traction on @S.Claus' situation we can raise these other ones, it's their underlying load balancing between metros that is causing this, IE some packets take the one route of their ring, other packets take another path which is much longer.
FF30DD98-61A1-4C0C-97C3-E33DDBA2D279.png
@DYreX146 to give you a idea

Last edited:

Kilerhotdog

11437707291.png

My "Cool" internet still going strong, hope your issue gets sorted @S.Claus

Cerberus

@PBCool sorry I am not sure if this was brought up earlier or not but we are in KZN and the youtube vidoes again take around 5-10 seconds to load up before playing fine. I know you fixed it the last time you mind taking a look at it again? Not sure if it is load shedding that does this or something.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool sorry I am not sure if this was brought up earlier or not but we are in KZN and the youtube vidoes again take around 5-10 seconds to load up before playing fine. I know you fixed it the last time you mind taking a look at it again? Not sure if it is load shedding that does this or something.
YouTube/Google has some technical issues at the moment.

Last edited:

DYreX146

Which speedtest servers are you using? Or is this on auto?
Auto defaulted to the CISP Cape Town server (the one I posted), but the Durban one I use here is ECN which usually has good ping but not today.

I did multiple tests to Durban servers and the lowest latency I got was 15ms, right now JHB is still fine with 12ms as it's supposed to be.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Auto defaulted to the CISP Cape Town server (the one I posted), but the Durban one I use here is ECN which usually has good ping but not today.

I did multiple tests to Durban servers and the lowest latency I got was 15ms, right now JHB is still fine with 12ms as it's supposed to be.
Will you PM me your current IP?

We are making changes to OpenServe that will give us better control of regional announcements.

linkinpark

Expert Member
Loss of connectivity in Durban North, Vuma trenched for about 10 minutes.
Its back up now, but why does this happen so often?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah, something seriously not kosher at the moment... bursts of all good then it goes properly flaky for a while.

S.Claus

Expert Member
I did mention this is probably going to take time to be resolved, the team are doing what they can with Openserve. I am doing what I can to assist. It's just a lot of back and forth.
I know everything is being done from Cool Ideas side and I am truly thankful but what does Openserve think a reasonable time is to fix this problem? It's being 2 months and they know where the problem is so why the delay?