Status
Not open for further replies.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBcool

I hope you are well.

This morning as planned, I met with a Frog Foot representative to do a survey of the premises, my landlord and I have accepted the quote for the installation.

The representative however told me the cost for the installation only covers the installation from outside to the box.

My brother and I teach English to Chinese students online, so we need a direct cable into our computers for efficient speed, he said from the box to our computers in the rooms we have to talk to Cool Ideas to arrange installation of this.

How do we go about doing this, as I am unsure how we proceed, I stay in Stellenbosch, Jonkershoek area.

Looking forward to hearing from you Paul! :)

Please PM me if you can, I can get you details of a support company to assist with cabling etc.

mrafiq1

@PBCool. HI. According to your website coverage, the area I am staying in is covered by Vumatel. According to Vumatel website they are still getting enough signups before commencing with the build. Not sure who is correct. I certainly haven't seen any Vumatel contractors in this area. I am in the Parow North Area in Cape Town. Can you possibly check on this for me.
Certainly would like to get fibre asap.
Thanks

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool. HI. According to your website coverage, the area I am staying in is covered by Vumatel. According to Vumatel website they are still getting enough signups before commencing with the build. Not sure who is correct. I certainly haven't seen any Vumatel contractors in this area. I am in the Parow North Area in Cape Town. Can you possibly check on this for me.
Thanks

Drop me a pm with your address and ill check the map.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Thanks

CISP's coverage map says our complex is also covered by Vumatel, but Vumatel are not even close to even starting to roll out in the area. Probably just an error like our street.

SandMan

@PBCOOL

I just got home, tried to open a streaming website which failed (odd), so I tried Telkom's Speedtest site (saix), but it hardly opened. I rebooted my router and ONT.

Then I did a traceroute to your site and got this:

Code:
Tracing route to cisp.co.za [154.0.13.95]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  billion.mydomain.local [192.168.77.254]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3   231 ms   290 ms   365 ms  192.168.11.6 <---------------
  4   304 ms   221 ms   198 ms  154.0.1.245
  5   119 ms    93 ms    76 ms  154.0.1.141
  6   307 ms   395 ms   405 ms  154.0.1.65
  7   474 ms   327 ms   408 ms  154.0.2.162
  8    39 ms    61 ms    60 ms  154.0.13.95

Trace complete.

Note the 3rd hop - that's supposed to be the ISP, but for some freakish reason it's a private network IP ?

Any ideas? I've never seen this before, my router does not have a VPN configured. I'll connect a different router just now and do a trace again, but this is quite mind-boggling.

SandMan

Nope, cable.

Using a DD-WRT router now and this is another trace:

Code:
Tracing route to cisp.co.za [154.0.13.95]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.77.254
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     4 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.11.6  <---------
  4    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  c3y-backbone.coolideas.co.za [154.0.1.142]
  5    23 ms    43 ms    25 ms  154.0.2.37
  6    24 ms    23 ms    35 ms  154.0.1.65
  7    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  154.0.2.162
  8    25 ms    26 ms    26 ms  154.0.13.95

Trace complete.

At least the pings are much better, but still extremely odd.

Edit: This is on OpenServe btw.

SandMan

Speedtest to Telkom's servers on 100/50 fibre:

CPT server:

rs2hlvN.png

JHB server:

rs2hlvN.png

Tinuva

The Magician
@Sandman that is probably just the IPC link ips. Doesnt matter if its 192.x ip or not.

Your billion router may have open ports, like an open dns server that is used for dns amplification attack or something along those lines. Either way, something probably caused the CPU on it to run at 100% usage and thus your connection was unstable.

ajan

CPT server:

rs2hlvN.png

JHB server:

rs2hlvN.png

SandMan we on the same boat here. PBCool said it's do with openserve themselves doing upgrades to the network. They made a few adjustments this morning as well. The current problems are throughput/capacity related as you can tell by your maximum speed. Earlier today I only managed to scrape a maximum of 10-20Mb/s.

Everything seems fine now after PB started load balancing. My pings are back to normal, download speeds are about 60%+. Not much of a problem for me.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

CPT server:

rs2hlvN.png

JHB server:

rs2hlvN.png

And if you try again? We were moving traffic between the IPC nodes at that point, the Cape Town IPC is now working as it should so we are busy shuffling around the advertisements to get the best performance out of it.

SandMan

@Tinuva ahh okay. My Billion and I are well-traveled, many years between us :) All ports are closed and no port-forwarding is active either. Unfortunately I switched the router off so can't see the system logs (doh) :(

Did a speedtest to MWeb's CPT server now and speeds are normal.

gIZ2ATF.png

Thanks @PBCool :)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@Tinuva ahh okay. My Billion and I are well-traveled, many years between us :) All ports are closed and no port-forwarding is active either. Unfortunately I switched the router off so can't see the system logs (doh) :(

Did a speedtest to MWeb's CPT server now and speeds are normal.

gIZ2ATF.png

Thanks @PBCool :)

Sure thing, we are busy making some changes around the way IPC is routed, the inherent way it operates makes it tricky to engineer so that it will perform independent in each hand-off area as it should. You will notice the local latency is much better since this am

Saano21

@PBcool

Finally placed my order online for Vumatel & CISP. Will bump up my account once my Telkom service is successfully canceled.

Vuma_CISP_Order .jpg

Last edited:

CRE4MPIE

Any Idea why these 2 back to back tests show very different results ? What's the best "speedtest" site to use for checking international

Regular Speedtest site
6625606144.png

Beta Speedtest site
6625608801.png

Cheers
CP

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Any Idea why these 2 back to back tests show very different results ? What's the best "speedtest" site to use for checking international

Regular Speedtest site
6625606144.png

Beta Speedtest site
6625608801.png

Cheers
CP

It is a throughput test over the internet over a high latency, it's never going to be perfect with all factors considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.