Cool Ideas or any other ISP on MTN Fibre

Speed23

@PBCool. Cancelled with MTN this morning and signed up with you guys. Now I just have to wait the 30 days until the cancellation.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool, I see MTN is now on your website. I'll be signing up soon. So basically the process for me then would be to cancel with MTN, get the termination date, and then sign up with you guys once I have that?
Yeap indeed :)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool what routers are you guys supplying in Cape Town area for MTN, as ZTE manages MTN FTTH network here it may have to be a ZTE router?
I am currently directly with MTN and have ZTE F680 router.
I don't think you would be locked into using a particular router, would just be a copper ethernet handoff. Our default router is a TPLink WR840N

MrSmith

With MTN the fibre terminates directly into the ZTE F680 so the TP Link you suggest will not work alone

MrCaptainLAG

@PBCool - I have a few questions regarding the MTN Fibre network (seeing we have them outside our house):

1. Do you take orders from residential areas in Cape Town, specifically Welgemoed at CoolIdeas? The website only shows MTN Johannesburg, but if you check coverage on MTN, we are covered 100%.

2. What would the typical duration be from signup to completion, considering no CPE has been installed on the premises yet?

MisterV

@PBCool - I have a few questions regarding the MTN Fibre network (seeing we have them outside our house):

1. Do you take orders from residential areas in Cape Town, specifically Welgemoed at CoolIdeas? The website only shows MTN Johannesburg, but if you check coverage on MTN, we are covered 100%.

2. What would the typical duration be from signup to completion, considering no CPE has been installed on the premises yet?
Good day!

Well I may be incorrect but, MTN have been busy here in my area for months and obviously I got really excited! They were digging up the place,, putting in fiber everywhere,, manholes at every corner. I thought I might go up to the supervisor and ask how do I go forth in applying for the fiber. To my shock it was only to connect the cellphone towers, extend their fiber network and give 4G covarge to people using their cellular service. They said that that fiber is not intended for home use. Apparently DFA contracts MTN to roll out their own network. This is happening a block away from my house.

I really hope you have better luck but if I were you I would go talk to the supervisor!

MrCaptainLAG

Good day!

Well I may be incorrect but, MTN have been busy here in my area for months and obviously I got really excited! They were digging up the place,, putting in fiber everywhere,, manholes at every corner. I thought I might go up to the supervisor and ask how do I go forth in applying for the fiber. To my shock it was only to connect the cellphone towers, extend their fiber network and give 4G covarge to people using their cellular service. They said that that fiber is not intended for home use. Apparently DFA contracts MTN to roll out their own network. This is happening a block away from my house.

I really hope you have better luck but if I were you I would go talk to the supervisor!

Update:

I applied for fibre at Cool Ideas on the 22nd November 2017. Its been two weeks later and so far all I can say is that the service has been excellent. Smart Village sent out Clearline IS to come and do the fibre connection from the street into the house. They did a very neat job of the installation. Currently I am only waiting for a modem from Cool Ideas to be installed and tested. Will post another update once everything is working.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Hi sorry for the delay, yes we are taking CPT orders but they are a bit more delayed compared to JHB, we dont have an idea from signup to completion at the moment as these are the first few orders we have done.

MrCaptainLAG

Update:

I applied for fibre at Cool Ideas on the 22nd November 2017. Its been two weeks later and so far all I can say is that the service has been excellent. Smart Village sent out Clearline IS to come and do the fibre connection from the street into the house. They did a very neat job of the installation. Currently I am only waiting for a modem from Cool Ideas to be installed and tested. Will post another update once everything is working.

Secondary Update:

Since the last post, all is well. The router was delivered overnight and it was a simple plug and play solution. It worked. Everything has been running smooth with a good latency to any SA server and a decent latency for gaming to the UK / EU servers. The speeds that is possible on the line is on the ball. I tend to stream a lot during the day, reserving the game downloads / updates for night time only. All I can say is I am one happy customer. I can really recommend Cool Ideas.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Secondary Update:

Since the last post, all is well. The router was delivered overnight and it was a simple plug and play solution. It worked. Everything has been running smooth with a good latency to any SA server and a decent latency for gaming to the UK / EU servers. The speeds that is possible on the line is on the ball. I tend to stream a lot during the day, reserving the game downloads / updates for night time only. All I can say is I am one happy customer. I can really recommend Cool Ideas.
Awesome thanks, what is your latency to EU/UK? It should be good.

MrCaptainLAG

Awesome thanks, what is your latency to EU/UK? It should be good.

The connection to the EU World of Tanks servers hovers around 190 to 220. This is not great, but this is during a time when someone was watching Netflix, YouTube and browsing the internet and perhaps 5 mobile devices connected to the WiFi. I will try and find a quiet moment and do a proper test.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
The connection to the EU World of Tanks servers hovers around 190 to 220. This is not great, but this is during a time when someone was watching Netflix, YouTube and browsing the internet and perhaps 5 mobile devices connected to the WiFi. I will try and find a quiet moment and do a proper test.
EU will be around 10-20ms from UK latency which is 160ms. Do you have an MTR so we can see the latency stack?

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I am indeed yes.

Yeah that's why, traffic goes to JHB first, our XC is in place in CPT, so waiting for them to go through the provisioning process. Your latency will then drop by ~23ms to all international destinations.

MrCaptainLAG

Yeah that's why, traffic goes to JHB first, our XC is in place in CPT, so waiting for them to go through the provisioning process. Your latency will then drop by ~23ms to all international destinations.

That sounds really promising. Is there a ETA on the XC becoming active? Once I know they are up and running, I can post another trace to show the difference.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
That sounds really promising. Is there a ETA on the XC becoming active? Once I know they are up and running, I can post another trace to show the difference.
It takes some time as MTN uses a unique setup with their handoff.