Cool Ideas to slash Openserve fibre prices

cavedog

Honorary Master
View attachment 731615
That giant slash on 10/5Mbps is MASSIVE...

This brings them in-line with other providers:
View attachment 731619View attachment 731621
Above is Vox, too lazy to check other providers right now.
Yeah except it's not the same as Vox. With Vox you have a 1TB fair use policy. WIth Home connect you have a 1TB Fair use Policy. With RSAweb they have a ridiculous 2Mbps peak Fair use policy

You can compare Afrihost, Cool Ideas, Mind The Speed, Axxess, Webafrica, BeBroadband, Accelerit

naeem

Expert Member
wonder if or when we'll start seeing some price drops on Vumatel packages

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah except it's not the same as Vox. With Vox you have a 1TB fair use policy. WIth Home connect you have a 1TB Fair use Policy. With RSAweb they have a ridiculous 2Mbps peak Fair use policy

You can compare Afrihost, Cool Ideas, Mind The Speed, Axxess, Webafrica, BeBroadband, Accelerit
I think with a 1TB FUP for 99% of users you can say that that FUP doesn't matter.

But yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Still wouldn't trust Afrihost/Axxess, they've gone back on their word before, and wouldn't trust Vox as they are known for yearly increases during contracts.

I'm happily not on OpenServe anymore, I have FF, Vumatel and OpenServe to pick from and am currently on FF 100/100Mbps Atomic Access for R999.

Currently pricing is: FF and Octotel as cheapest, with Octotel seeming to often give issues with FF being once-off issues when areas go live, then OpenServe, then Vumatel with the latter two depending on pricing segment but these OpenServe price cuts make them cheaper overall I think.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Not very likely! Seems like some of us have to K*k and betaal.
Yeah , and then they offer the Mitchells Fibre product for R399 which is a 20/10 line.

Much cheaper than anything similar on Vumatel itself. We get a raw deal on Vumatel.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I think with a 1TB FUP for 99% of users you can say that that FUP doesn't matter.
View attachment 731653

But yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Still wouldn't trust Afrihost/Axxess, they've gone back on their word before, and wouldn't trust Vox as they are known for yearly increases during contracts.

I'm happily not on OpenServe anymore, I have FF, Vumatel and OpenServe to pick from and am currently on FF 100/100Mbps Atomic Access for R999.

Currently pricing is: FF and Octotel as cheapest, with Octotel seeming to often give issues with FF being once-off issues when areas go live, then OpenServe, then Vumatel with the latter two depending on pricing segment but these OpenServe price cuts make them cheaper overall I think.
I wouldn't worry about Afrihost anymore. I think this is my 3rd month since moving onto their Pure Fibre 200Mbps on Openserve and it's been awesome. No worse than Cool Ideas before them (a good thing - I moved before the CISP issues started), but I got 3 months free and a free extra router for the house.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Yeah , and then they offer the Mitchells Fibre product for R399 which is a 20/10 line.

Much cheaper than anything similar on Vumatel itself. We get a raw deal on Vumatel.
Yes, While that is a cheap deal for a 20meg Fibre line, plenty of us in Mitchell's Plain would give that price up today, if we could get a faster line. Some of us are paying what everybody else was paying for a 20eg adsl line, so we are more than happy to pay. So yes while residents here pay that, many of us would prefer to be in others position when it comes to a higher down and upload speed, and various options to choose from. @Nikkel @mandana

Nikkel

Expert Member
Yes, While that is a cheap deal for a 20meg Fibre line, plenty of us in Mitchell's Plain would give that price up today, if we could get a faster line. Some of us are paying what everybody else was paying for a 20eg adsl line, so we are more than happy to pay. So yes while residents here pay that, many of us would prefer to be in others position when it comes to a higher down and upload speed, and various options to choose from. @Nikkel @mandana
Yep, all in I spent R1200 a month... phone line + 20mb ADSL + ISP + calls made.

I'll gladly pay R999 for a 100mb fibre line as I'll still save about R200 coming from 20mb ADSL.

I knew there were cheaper uncapped home packages on Telkom but didn't like the FUP and stuck with Afrihost capped.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I wouldn't worry about Afrihost anymore. I think this is my 3rd month since moving onto their Pure Fibre 200Mbps on Openserve and it's been awesome. No worse than Cool Ideas before them (a good thing - I moved before the CISP issues started), but I got 3 months free and a free extra router for the house.
If I remember correctly, that router has 100Mbps ethernet ports, I plugged it in once and then removed it as it would be a bottleneck on my home network for file transfer, a cheap R500 Tenda has better performance.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If I remember correctly, that router has 100Mbps ethernet ports, I plugged it in once and then removed it as it would be a bottleneck on my home network for file transfer, a cheap R500 Tenda has better performance.
Nope - must have been an older model. They sent me a D-Link DIR-825 with 4x gigabit ports and 5GHz Wi-Fi. I have a UniFi home network, but the Afrihost router is very useful on my desk as a switch and Wi-Fi extender.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Nope - must have been an older model. They sent me a D-Link DIR-825 with 4x gigabit ports and 5GHz Wi-Fi. I have a UniFi home network, but the Afrihost router is very useful on my desk as a switch and Wi-Fi extender.
Nice, mine was 3 years ago for the 100/50 package, do you have the 200/100 package?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, 200Mbps. Besides those few hours on DDoS Sunday, it's been flying since I signed up.
Probably that's why, I wonder if they upped the routers for the 100Mbps and lower packages.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Probably that's why, I wonder if they upped the routers for the 100Mbps and lower packages.
People signed up in droves to score 3 free months of any Pure Fibre package, and it seemed that everyone in the feedback thread received the same router.