Coolant type for hyundai accent

theBlueWater

Hi all. So i'm driving long distance tomorrow and found my coolant level in the coolant box to be slight low, added in about 200-300ml of water as I don't have any coolant and won't have a chance to get some before I travel. I assume that wouldn't cause any issues during the travel, but what kind of coolant is suitable for a hyundai accent 2013 model? I hear there are different types and different colours and I don't know which is suitable for my car. Can anyone help?

Edit: Slightly low means not touching the upper line as it should, about 200-300ml was enough to fill it.

TheMightyMuggle

The coolant tank is actually just for excess coolant and to allow for expansion. Thus if the coolant level is below the min mark but still visible somewhere along the tank or pipe, then your coolant is technically still full and no problems will occur unless the level drops further. But I wouldn't personally let it go much below the min mark due to OCD lol.

Also, a small amount of water doesn't hurt, but using tap water (or non distilled water) may cause very minor corrosion as well as an imperceptible loss in cooling efficiency. But again these are basically non issues with that amount of water

Apologies for not actually answering the question lol

theBlueWater

The coolant tank is actually just for excess coolant and to allow for expansion. Thus if the coolant level is below the min mark but still visible somewhere along the tank or pipe, then your coolant is technically still full and no problems will occur unless the level drops further. But I wouldn't personally let it go much below the min mark due to OCD lol.

Also, a small amount of water doesn't hurt, but using tap water (or non distilled water) may cause very minor corrosion as well as an imperceptible loss in cooling efficiency. But again these are basically non issues with that amount of water

Apologies for not actually answering the question lol
Thank you. So given that i'v added water in that tank, would it be ok if I just added coolant/antifreeze directly into that tank without diluting it (just a small amount) once i'v visited a spares shop and found out which coolant it uses?

TheMightyMuggle

Thank you. So given that i'v added water in that tank, would it be ok if I just added coolant/antifreeze directly into that tank without diluting it (just a small amount) once i'v visited a spares shop and found out which coolant it uses?
Yes thats perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't go above the max line, as some space should be left for expansion.

Just check that you buy undiluted coolant, as some already come 1:1 diluted with distilled water, but honestly even if you add the diluted coolant, such a small amount will make nearly no difference to cooling efficiency

RedViking

Nord of the South
It should be in the manual/book for the car, although I just put in whatever they give at the garage, or if it is close to a service just top it up with a bit of water.

RudderVator

Expert Member
Hi all. So i'm driving long distance tomorrow and found my coolant level in the coolant box to be slight low, added in about 200-300ml of water as I don't have any coolant and won't have a chance to get some before I travel. I assume that wouldn't cause any issues during the travel, but what kind of coolant is suitable for a hyundai accent 2013 model? I hear there are different types and different colours and I don't know which is suitable for my car. Can anyone help?

Edit: Slightly low means not touching the upper line as it should, about 200-300ml was enough to fill it.
Distilled water is normally recommended for top-up since it has no minerals. Get it at pharmacies etc

theBlueWater

Yes thats perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't go above the max line, as some space should be left for expansion.

Just check that you buy undiluted coolant, as some already come 1:1 diluted with distilled water, but honestly even if you add the diluted coolant, such a small amount will make nearly no difference to cooling efficiency
Thank you

theBlueWater

It should be in the manual/book for the car, although I just put in whatever they give at the garage, or if it is close to a service just top it up with a bit of water.
I'm due for a service in September, so shouldn't be a problem.

TheMightyMuggle

Apologies for slight off topic question, but is water that is filtered using reverse osmosis totally lacking in minerals? If so, is it comparable to distilled water?

Nithan15

Expert Member
Apologies for slight off topic question, but is water that is filtered using reverse osmosis totally lacking in minerals? If so, is it comparable to distilled water?
DIstilled water has no minerals in it therefore you dont get that gunky build up - you will notice the taste as well.

Filtered water still does have minerals in it and so to does ionised water

Reverse osmosis performs water filtration by passing it through multiple stages of filtration stripping off all the minerals. In the final filtration stage, it adds healthy minerals back into the water. Distillation, on the other hand, also purifies water but doesn't add healthy minerals to the water.

Hope this helps

Remember to change your coolant atleast every 3 years. Follow the dilution mixture recommended by your manufacturer.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
You add a coolant that is the same colour as the one you see in the bottle, if it's green you add green, same for red, blue or any other colour, the coolant it uses will probably be referred to as Hyundai antifreeze which you won't get anywhere besides Hyundai.

upup

Executive Member
In one of my cars, it was filled with just antifreese, did I mention the water pump went before 100 000km

TheChamp

Honorary Master
In one of my cars, it was filled with just antifreese, did I mention the water pump went before 100 000km
A water pump is a mechanical component, failure is a common thing. Antifreeze is still a very good idea though, as failure from corrosion is not what you want.

Magandroid

Expert Member
My last service at Hyundai indicates anitfreeze SF Premix LL Coolant. The only one I can find is Castrol Radicool SF Premix. The appearance is a pink /violet liquid.
They also used Castrol Edge Professional oil in the car so it could be that they Castrol anitfreeze.

CB40

Expert Member

Just buy the coolant from Hyundai the you're safe
A lot of spares shops sell really crappy stuff that does nothing at all

SHL

Expert Member
Just buy the coolant from Hyundai the you're safe
A lot of spares shops sell really crappy stuff that does nothing at all
True. Bought 1L antifreeze for my CR-V at Honda for R85

unobeat

My last service at Hyundai indicates anitfreeze SF Premix LL Coolant. The only one I can find is Castrol Radicool SF Premix. The appearance is a pink /violet liquid.
They also used Castrol Edge Professional oil in the car so it could be that they Castrol anitfreeze.
I love that Castrol antifreeze and have used it with no issues.