Coolest tanks, armoured vehicles, and aircraft used by the SANDF

scudsucker

Executive Member
Nice assumption. I served in the SANDF as well as the SADF and signed the code of conduct which every SANDF member signs and carries a copy of with their force ID. An example from the internet of which I post here.
Uh.. "of which I post here."

I don't think you know how this internet thing works.

Any political bias in the force is kept private as revealing it will get you noticed and entered on your file. You will attract the attention of counter intelligence and your next security clearance will be affected. When your next security clearance is due, people you know, even those not in the force are interviewed regarding you. Your bank account is also scrutinised dependant on level of clearance
Ah, so as a civilian I never get a credit history check, good to know, I have been meaning to get a 4th credit card but was nervous that someone might check if I could afford it.

or if something of interest to intelligence was noted in an interview. Things you will never know having not served. And things that never get done to civilian employees like you.
There are plenty of things I don't know, having not been employed by SADF as an office clerk. OTOH, there are many things you will never know about the things I have experienced in my own career. Notice, though, how I do not feel the need to claim any level of expertise or experience to impress you and others. I wonder why you feel it necessary to regale us with your alleged military experience.

scudsucker

Executive Member
Let me be clear. Next time you, or anyone else for that matter, impersonates or otherwise claims to be a moderator, they will be banned.
Fair enough. I think Sollie is further at fault than I - I was obviously sarcastic in that message. He suggested I was a clone of a mod; which would break at least one of the T&Cs if I was.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fair enough. I think Sollie is further at fault than I - I was obviously sarcastic in that message. He suggested I was a clone of a mod; which would break at least one of the T&Cs if I was.
1) you're not.
2) clones per se are not proscribed by the rules. Only those clones of previously banned forum members are.

Illegal Allien

I have never understood the reluctance or failure of the South African Defence industry to venture into business with militaries in the SADC. Zimbabwe should have never bought MI35's when there is a Rooivalk etc.

There is so much cool stuff being made here (or was made here) that should have a regional market.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I have never understood the reluctance or failure of the South African Defence industry to venture into business with militaries in the SADC. Zimbabwe should have never bought MI35's when there is a Rooivalk etc.
and they would have paid us how? with toilet paper? as we all know what Zim Dollars are worth.
the little US dollars they have are used for bribes to get air-Zim off the ground.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Exactly. Cosmik is unwilling to supply any.
You claimed that
I am more convinced, given your "war hero" rhetoric, that you spent your entire call-up as a quartermaster or similar office job in Pretoria, and your whole shtick is about your feelings of inadequacy.
I call BS on the "war hero" rhetoric. Show me where @Cosmik Debris claimed to be a "war hero". Provide evidence.
As you were, mod-imposter.

scudsucker

Executive Member
no Im sure they were not,
but vodka, sure comrade,
and Zim, what could they pay SA with,
Zim dollar was pretty strong in the 80s, and the Soviet Union was more than willing to offer favorable term on loans to "favourite" customers.

Unfortunately for Zimbabwe, we were ideologically opposed to apartheid; so it would have been somewhat challenging to have purchased Rooivalks.

edit: Fortunately for Zimbabweans, a MIG-21 is less effective against civil disobedience than a Rooivalk, so I am quite happy the government wasted money on outdated jet planes rather than state-of-the-art helicopters.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Let us not forget whose imagination created this myth, @Sollie

I suspect that he also had a few quiet PMs with the real mods after that claim.

I certainly did.
@Sollie used a technique which is best expressed in an Afrikaans idiom: Gooi klip innie bos. You saw that but instead of radio silence, you blabbed and went along with it.

Your credibility is completely shot.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I stopped counting the number of times people have come up with the Rooivalk in discussions, as if somehow you haven't heard of it before... you can sometimes swear the person holding his beer while waxing on about it was personally involved in designing the thing.

Can we please let go of it now?
I know desperation for some form of national pride is a thing, but maybe, like Apartheid... we need to get over it....

Last edited:

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Well if you considers the Russians brought out 20 tanks for each 1 tank the germans built and yes effectively it was 2 chunks of iron slapped together with a turret to shoot. Thus they defeated the Germans with well sheer numbers. Imagine Angry mob style in Command and Conquer.

But for strategy in WW2 the only decent ones were Patton (USA) and Langermann (Germany). Langermann was the one that decided to push his tanks thru the forests in France and came up behind the French. In matter of fact the rest of the German army was so far away behind him.
Sorry. that honour goes to erich von manstein. I have never heard langeman described as a genius.
Patton was famous for his drive not for his strategic thinking. His style was mostly "hey diddle diddle and straight up the middle"

scudsucker

Executive Member
I stopped counting the number of times people have come up with the Rooivalk in discussions, as if somehow you haven't heard of it before... you can sometimes swear the person holding his beer while waxing on about it was personally involved in designing the thing.

I know desperation for some form of national pride is a thing, but maybe, like Apartheid... we need to get over it....

It IS a pretty impressive 4th gen helicocker for those who want to wave it around.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

But its like ours and its cool and shyte...