Coolest tanks, armoured vehicles, and aircraft used by the SANDF

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Zim dollar was pretty strong in the 80s, and the Soviet Union was more than willing to offer favorable term on loans to "favourite" customers.

Unfortunately for Zimbabwe, we were ideologically opposed to apartheid; so it would have been somewhat challenging to have purchased Rooivalks.

edit: Fortunately for Zimbabweans, a MIG-21 is less effective against civil disobedience than a Rooivalk, so I am quite happy the government wasted money on outdated jet planes rather than state-of-the-art helicopters.

Should have bought Hinds.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Let me be clear. Next time you, or anyone else for that matter, impersonates or otherwise claims to be a moderator, they will be banned.
Thank you Bwana. For the sake of transparency, and then we can move on:

Did he explicitly say so - no. He implied it, mentioning things a mod would know, I suspect based upon PMs. I also suspect his little game got away from him. Do I want him banned? No.

Anyway, as said:
@Sollie used a technique which is best expressed in an Afrikaans idiom: Gooi klip innie bos. You saw that but instead of radio silence, you blabbed and went along with it.

Actually, not a rock, more like moered a whole boulder into it - and it worked.

In my initial post I put the reason why first: Forever playing the person, not partaking in the convo. There are plenty of views on this forum. Anybody playing the player is fair game. We should not be here, yet here we are. And yes, I sometimes deliberately push a situation to make it clear. Some situtions should not be, yet if left, festers, so I push on those. Somehwre on these forums I asked what's happening on MyBB, the nature of the conflicts? I was trolled. So - if a clean up is due afterwards, so be it. Cleanup repeats are few ... I suspect you have done some @bwana? Thanks. Now you know why.

I suspect that he also had a few quiet PMs with the real mods after that claim.

Actually, no. I don't play your type of little games, I'm not much of a gamer, striking somebody then do that "don't you hit me" thing to try and get them banned. I'm too direct and pretty honest. Anyway, have a great day.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Cosmik, I am willing to believe, based purely on your age, that you actually served in the SADF.

I am not willing to believe, given your unwillingness to reveal your unit etc, that you even saw active service.

I am more convinced, given your "war hero" rhetoric, that you spent your entire call-up as a quartermaster or similar office job in Pretoria, and your whole shtick is about your feelings of inadequacy.
I understand the unwillingness, I share it. The SADF was a fairly close community and people are thus easy to identify if they give out too much unit specific information, and then twats can name and defame them for their opinions. With a little more info (or perhaps thought) I am pretty sure I can already put a name to @Cosmik Debris , but i won't, now, or ever.
That does not give you a reason to denigrate his service. Denigrate him all you like but if you weren't there dont cast aspersions on what he may or may not have done. You clearly don't know the meaning of active service.

scudsucker

Executive Member
Did he explicitly say so - no. He implied it, mentioning things a mod would know
I'm curious about this, I am not a mod and not omnipotent.

I am, however, quite observant. I think I would know if I had mentioned something that the common layman would not have been able to deduce.
Some situtions should not be, yet if left, festers, so I push on those. Somehwre on these forums I asked what's happening on MyBB, the nature of the conflicts? I was trolled.
* "situations", "somewhere" ... etc etc

and pretty honest.
That is debatable.

scudsucker

Executive Member
That does not give you a reason to denigrate his service. Denigrate him all you like but if you weren't there dont cast aspersions on what he may or may not have done. You clearly don't know the meaning of active service.
Why?

He "served"* the racist apartheid regime with pride. Why should I respect that?

* albeit in a supportive role

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Nobody knows who supports what political party in the military. Soldiers are extremely careful not to mention politics as it's against their code of conduct. No Officer Commanding knows whether one of his troops is going to shop him for playing politics either and the penalties are severe.
a mate of mine was basically fired for helping his girlfriend put up election posters. You play your political cards close to your chest. especially now, but it was always so. my mate was drilled in circa 1987 so, general election.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
In your case "velour" is probably more accurate.

Sure, indeed you have. Kind of strange how no one else is so secretive, though.

There is no qualification necessary for observation of inadequacy; the inadequate make their failures very clear.

I mean, sure, I will never understand the importance of filing documents and making sure my commanding officer got his tea and biscuits at 11 hundred hours.

Busted. Tea and biscuits were at ten hundred hours. Also, believe it or not war, runs on documents, tons of them.

Pegasus

Executive Member
There was a blue C130 flying over Cape Town yesterday, it's probably the first time in years that I heard one.

RedViking

Nord of the South
How big is this inside? Can I build a tiny house in it? How strong are those tyres?

1627323138425.png