Coolest tanks, armoured vehicles, and aircraft used by the SANDF

RedViking

Nord of the South
Not very wide, it would have to be a single bed, and you’ll need to change the standard seats, they are fecking uncomfortable.
Well I am sure if I can build some sort of sleeping quarters in it, changing the seats should be easy. Although I see what you mean by the width... Meh... she will make me sleep outside like those men in the photo.. .except I will be armed with a crowbar.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
Well I am sure if I can build some sort of sleeping courters in it, changing the seats should be easy. Although I see what you mean by the width... Meh... she will make me sleep outside like those men in the photo.. .except I will be armed with a crowbar.

Oh yes, almost forgot, the roof leaks in most of them ;)

j4ck455

Executive Member
Well I am sure if I can build some sort of sleeping courters in it, changing the seats should be easy. Although I see what you mean by the width... Meh... she will make me sleep outside like those men in the photo.. .except I will be armed with a crowbar.
More like two long rows either side decked with the most uncomfortable toughest rubber-like substance, imagine that whatever clothing you're wearing, it's like your bare butt is stuck to a freezing cold glacier in mid-winter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Does your wife know you have sleeping courters?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Nope.

Ok, great. Now show that that is in fact the case.

Let me help you out here, a little. Pseudo-soldiers of the likes of @Cosmik Debris also, in theory - even from his office logistics support job - followed the constitution as it was then, AND were able to support the apartheid regime. You do not need to be politically active, eg running for office, to have a political bias.

Edit: in response to "something their military oath swears to uphold and protect." An oath like this is as valuable as the one Jakob Zuma swore.

Why would you be surprised that active members of the SADF upheld and defended what was a legal government and constitution?

And who is to say there were not any soldiers with anti-apartheid sentiments within the SADF anyway? They just would not have been overt about it for obvious reasons.

There will be SANDF members that are ANC, IFP, EFF, Verkramptes, the works. But they are constitutionally obligated to uphold and defend whatever government is legally elected in to power. Do you think the SADF members that remained in the SANDF were 100% supportive of the ANC government? Most certainly not, but they remained and committed to upholding the democratic process that put the ANC in power because that is what they swore to do. Those that didn't quickly left the SANDF.

Just for two seconds, stop and think how incredibly dangerous politically active military personnel would be. There is a reason why the US military made a very rare public statement on politics in the aftermath of 6th January, warning their members from becoming involved in anything that would go against the democratic process. They were reminded that their allegiance was to the flag and country, not politicians.

Last edited:

Supervan II

Expert Member
Why would you be surprised that active members of the SADF upheld and defended what was a legal government and constitution?

And who is to say there were not any soldiers with anti-apartheid sentiments within the SADF anyway? They just would not have been overt about it for obvious reasons.

There will be SANDF members that are ANC, IFP, EFF, Verkramptes, the works. But they are constitutionally obligated to uphold and defend whatever government is legally elected in to power. Do you think the SADF members that remained in the SANDF were 100% supportive of the ANC government? Most certainly not, but they remained and committed to upholding the democratic process that put the ANC in power because that is what they swore to do. Those that didn't quickly left the SANDF.

Just for two seconds, stop and think how incredibly dangerous politically active military personnel would be. There is a reason why the US military made a very rare public statement on politics in the aftermath of 6th January, warning their members from becoming involved in anything that would go against the democratic process. They were reminded that their allegiance was to the flag and country, not politicians.
I, for one, learnt a lot about other cultures and religions whilst serving in the SADF during my National Service.

Nothing equalises everyone like having a common goal, wearing the same uniform, sharing living quarters and mingling socially in a common (NCO) environment. That was the SA Navy back in the day.

ETA: late 70's, early 80's.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I understand the unwillingness, I share it. The SADF was a fairly close community and people are thus easy to identify if they give out too much unit specific information, and then twats can name and defame them for their opinions. With a little more info (or perhaps thought) I am pretty sure I can already put a name to @Cosmik Debris , but i won't, now, or ever.
That does not give you a reason to denigrate his service. Denigrate him all you like but if you weren't there dont cast aspersions on what he may or may not have done. You clearly don't know the meaning of active service.

Thank you Bony. All you say about the SADF being small and identification is correct. With a little more info I can also get quite close to who you are, where you served and in what capacity. But I won't even try as it is not important. I will also never disclose the 2+2's I put together that a person who never served will never be able to put together in order to pinpoint a member of the SADF or their active service.

As I stated, it's easy to find out if someone is BS'ing by asking the right questions that only persons that served will know to ask.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Why?

He "served"* the racist apartheid regime with pride. Why should I respect that?

* albeit in a supportive role

Shows you have never served anywhere and have no idea that a servicemen serves the government of the day. After 27 April 1994 I served the ANC government. No military person cares which regime they serve. Do you think the German soldiers of WW2 or the Soviet soldiers of Afghanistan care about who they served? Your perception is that of a civilian who has never served as soldiers do not discuss politics, as stated before. Now stop trying to impose you civilian thinking and freedoms servicemen gave up their lives for you to have on servicemen.

Your opinions on regimes, racist, apartheid or otherwise are yours alone. Do not impose your convictions on those who do not share them.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Thank you Bony. All you say about the SADF being small and identification is correct. With a little more info I can also get quite close to who you are, where you served and in what capacity. But I won't even try as it is not important. I will also never disclose the 2+2's I put together that a person who never served will never be able to put together in order to pinpoint a member of the SADF or their active service.
Hence why I deleted a post I made, seconds after I posted.

Pretty sure the wrong person read it they will know immediately who I was and what I did.

PrettigeGert

Shows you have never served anywhere and have no idea that a servicemen serves the government of the day. After 27 April 1994 I served the ANC government. No military person cares which regime they serve. Do you think the German soldiers of WW2 or the Soviet soldiers of Afghanistan care about who they served? Your perception is that of a civilian who has never served as soldiers do not discuss politics, as stated before. Now stop trying to impose you civilian thinking and freedoms servicemen gave up their lives for you to have on servicemen.

Your opinions on regimes, racist, apartheid or otherwise are yours alone. Do not impose your convictions on those who do not share them.
You know he is no longer here?

Banned.

Grant

Honorary Master
Well I am sure if I can build some sort of sleeping quarters in it, changing the seats should be easy. Although I see what you mean by the width... Meh... she will make me sleep outside like those men in the photo.. .except I will be armed with a crowbar.
A suspended hammock is the way to go in that thing.
On the upside, you'll never again have to endure a minibus taxi cutting you off in traffic