Copper thief stopped in his tracks after trying to steal PMB City Hall roof sheeting

schumi

Honorary Master

Sollie

Executive Member

Pietermaritzburg's City Hall, which claims to be the largest brick building in the southern hemisphere, lies in the middle of the Pietermaritzburg city centre. The building is a national monument and is a beautiful piece of Victorian architecture, with its 47m high bell tower.
That's why it still has copper sheeting. So this turd vandalized a national monument.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Had he brought a bakkie and a couple of men, everyone would have thought he was a contractor and left him alone. That's how stealing is done nowadays.
I thought it was getting elected to government

ForceFate

Honorary Master
And put on a high-vis vest. Wearing one of those gets you in everywhere and no-one blinks an eye.
They even walk around with clipboards; scribbling and doodling as they walk around the crime scene.

SAguy

Executive Member
I see now at my local soccer field that a couple of the huge floodlight light poles have been knocked over, and the thick copper wires cut out of them.

Last edited:

zophas

I say scrap dealers are complicit. If they don't find a way to punish them for possession of stolen goods, we'll never win this war.
We need to regulate scrap dealers somehow without bringing even more corruption into the system. I don't think it can be done but maybe someone with a brain in government can figure out a way. But we don't have any of those either.

McT

The Humble Scot!
We need to regulate scrap dealers somehow without bringing even more corruption into the system. I don't think it can be done but maybe someone with a brain in government can figure out a way. But we don't have any of those either.
They did it in Canada. Closed every single dealer down. Forced them into tight regulation of they wanted a licence to operate. But our motley bunch don't have the political will, are too corrupt or competing, etc.

airborne

Honorary Master
Eeish, pity he didn't roll off the roof.

This country is fked, who strips a roof of copper other than the most desperate person and there are thousands right behind the perp, it won't end till every decent bit of infrastructure is ripped apart :(

Damn I really want to emigrate but I can't , I'll have to be here while SA burns to the ground.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Eeish, pity he didn't roll off the roof.

This country is fked, who strips a roof of copper other than the most desperate person and there are thousands right behind the perp, it won't end till every decent bit of infrastructure is ripped apart :(

Damn I really want to emigrate but I can't , I'll have to be here while SA burns to the ground.
If you can get out, just don't go to the UK.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Just ban trade and export in 2nd hand copper.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Its getting out of hand.

We've had cable theft twice in the past week and my dad's company lost 2-days of production due to copper theft last week.

• Sad
Reactions: McT