Core: Don’t buy your iPad overseas

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
No alarms and no suprises from Core.

And with the iPad overheathing - it may be best to wait or simply post the bugger back to the USA.

Antonf

Expert Member
Sure - I will buy it in SA if it costs EXACTLY THE SAME as in Europe or the USA.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Sure - I will buy it in SA if it costs EXACTLY THE SAME as in Europe or the USA.

Umm dude have you seen the pricing on apple's in this country compared to overseas? That will never happen.

Tjoker

Expert Member
Who would wana buy this?

EDIT : Is this product practical??? Or is it another, "O hey, i bought and Ipad..." in conversation....

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No surprise that Core lacks the necessary skills to repair the iPad. (or make toast)

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Wonder how a friendly email to Apple would be like that thier official South African distributor won't honour their warranty would be received as. But then again, don't buy Apple.

Gambit

Expert Member
Core: Don’t buy your iPad overseas ... we need to add our mark-up first.

EricsON

Xbox MVP
I'd like Core Group to tell us pricing and local availability, not just to tell us not to buy from overseas. Chops!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, we would not want to miss our opportunity to milk you first. :D

Durandal

Expert Member
Would this apply to all Apple products, like the iPods as well, do you think? Was considering getting myself one when I was next overseas, but no point if there is no warranty.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I'd like Core Group to tell us pricing and local availability, not just to tell us not to buy from overseas. Chops!

Article clearly states they don't know

Although Core Group could not confirm whether the iPad would be available in South Africa on that date or at what price, Executive Director RJ van Spaandonk urged consumers to be careful about purchasing devices through grey importers or outside of South Africa.

But agreed with Gambit - they're waiting for the exchange rate to favour them and will then place the order and get the goods shipped, mark it up by 50% and then you can get it locally.

phiber

Expert Member
I thought all portable apple products came with international warranties... Bummed that core found a loop hole... Depends on the price, but i will still probably buy one from overseas.

phiber

Expert Member
But agreed with Gambit - they're waiting for the exchange rate to favour them and will then place the order and get the goods shipped, mark it up by 50% and then you can get it locally.

Not really gonna get more favorable than the 7.18 to the dollar we had yesterday!!

jaap1234

iPad warranty says otherwise.

Official iPad warranty:

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/NA_iPad_Warranty_v20.pdf

"Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to the country in which
service is requested. Service options are subject to change at any time. You may be responsible
for shipping and handling charges if the product cannot be serviced in the country in which
service is requested. If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase,
you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for
all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is
available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products
and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require
that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before
receiving warranty service. Resources with more details on this and other matters on obtaining
warranty service are described below."

Essentially this means that once the iPad becomes available here, Core is obliged to repair it if you can present the relative documentation to prove that you payed import duties. We can only wait and see. Apple carries international warranties on iPods and macs. So if you buy one in the US, and pay import duty, Core has to honour that warranty.

And lets just wait and see what the Core guys will charge for it...

Once again Core makes me absolutely sick. Please just become a bit more honourable guys. If you charge sky high prices, how can you not expect people to get the product elsewhere?

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
Core wants a piece of the money pie. That's no surprise. Why anyone would want to buy the iPad, that's a big surprise.

VertigoZA

Official iPad warranty:

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/NA_iPad_Warranty_v20.pdf

"Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to the country in which
service is requested. Service options are subject to change at any time. You may be responsible
for shipping and handling charges if the product cannot be serviced in the country in which
service is requested. If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase,
you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for
all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is
available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products
and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require
that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before
receiving warranty service. Resources with more details on this and other matters on obtaining
warranty service are described below."

Essentially this means that once the iPad becomes available here, Core is obliged to repair it if you can present the relative documentation to prove that you payed import duties. We can only wait and see. Apple carries international warranties on iPods and macs. So if you buy one in the US, and pay import duty, Core has to honour that warranty.

And lets just wait and see what the Core guys will charge for it...

Once again Core makes me absolutely sick. Please just become a bit more honourable guys. If you charge sky high prices, how can you not expect people to get the product elsewhere?

+1