Coronavirus in South Africa jumps to 24 cases

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Wonder at what point schools and such will be closed down to minimise spread?

R4ziel

Expert Member
yeah... I'm somewhat surprised its taking this long to start seeing the ramp up tbh....

I also expected us to have a few more cases by now, but I am still skeptical that we know about all the actual cases at the moment

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I also expected us to have a few more cases by now, but I am still skeptical that we know about all the actual cases at the moment

Optimistically I reckon we know about maybe 10% of the actual cases at this point... knowing our health system, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even know 1% of the actual cases by now.

LD50

Expert Member
Schools shouldn't close down, not in this country.

Universities, maybe, but schools shutting down would cause chaos as who would look after the children then? Parents won't get leave to look after them.
Very good point

konfab

Honorary Master
No government seems to give the full picture.

They don't give the amount of negative tests for example.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Schools shouldn't close down, not in this country.

Universities, maybe, but schools shutting down would cause chaos as who would look after the children then? Parents won't get leave to look after them.

That is crazy, schools would be a serious hotspot for the virus?

R4ziel

Expert Member
No government seems to give the full picture.

They don't give the amount of negative tests for example.

I still think we are in for a wild ride in the next two weeks as cases start actually getting sick and needing care, its going to be like Italy, not many cases for a week, and then it drops off a cliff

konfab

Honorary Master
That is crazy, schools would be a serious hotspot for the virus?
Yes they are. However schools are inhabited by people who are largely unaffected by the virus. If kids do get sick they can be at home for a few days, then back at school with immunity to the disease. Almost zero effect on the health system.

What is the problem is the elderly parents that live with children. If the government wanted to prepare properly, via the schools they would do the following:
All families at the schools need to indicate whether they have daily contact with the sick/elderly. If they do, masks are given to the family for use by the elderly.

What will most likely happen if they shut down schools, is that kids would end up being left at home alone whilst parents have to go to work. Which means that children will start to get injured as they won't have anyone to look after them.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Yes they are. However schools are inhabited by people who are largely unaffected by the virus. If kids do get sick they can be at home for a few days, then back at school with immunity to the disease. Almost zero effect on the health system.

What is the problem is the elderly parents that live with children. If the government wanted to prepare properly, via the schools they would do the following:
All families at the schools need to indicate whether they have daily contact with the sick/elderly. If they do, masks are given to the family for use by the elderly.

Kids also touch a lot of things all the time, so they tend to spread viruses super effectively

We Love Bass

Cant those 122 South Africans just stay in Wuhan for christ sake?

Mkhize reiterated that those returning are not sick but healthy citizens

I dont trust this one bit.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master

I think schools should be the number 1 thing that get closed, Kids are virus spreaders of note.
Considering they probably won't exhibit any symptoms makes it even worse.
They take the virus home to their families who then go to work and so on and so on.
Not shutting down schools would be crazy.

Last edited: