"Corrugated" feel on highways, me or something else?

neoprema

Expert Member
I recently bought a new car, as some probably know a CX-5.

My previous car was a large sedan with 16" 60 215 tyres. The CX-5 has 19" 55 225 tyres.

I'm finding that on freeways at about 120 i'm feeling vibrations in my foot-well/pedals almost as though there's corrugations on the road and they're being being transferred up the wheels. Very minor ones, but constant when its there. It tends to be less prevalent below 120.

I'm wondering if this is because the suspension and wheels are harder on the CX-5 and there ARE very minor corrugations on the tar? Or is it something i should get checked? The same highways never did it in my previous car.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You're taking a sedan that is designed for a smoother ride and comparing it to an SUV which isn't designed for a smooth ride? You're tyre size has also gone up and your suspension has gone up. Personally I prefer sedans but a lot of people in the world seem to disagee.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You're taking a sedan that is designed for a smoother ride and comparing it to an SUV which isn't designed for a smooth ride? You're tyre size has also gone up and your suspension has gone up. Personally I prefer sedans but a lot of people in the world seem to disagee.
Stupid SUV's are stupid.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Stupid SUV's are stupid.
The world is in love with them, still trying to figure out why. A lot of car manufacturers have even stopped sedans for SUVS. I mean they don't even really offer that much of a space advantage of sedans, they are more expensive to insure, fuel, maintain and and but hey.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
You could even have a bubble in the tyre(s).

I’d recommend you reporting to the dealer you purchased from, and telling them if after you did the usual wear and tear fixes (balancing etc.) and You find the problem to be a costly affair, they must foot the bill.

This of course depending on how many km’s you did post purchase.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I also experience various levels of the same corrugated feel depending on the road. Some sections of the n3 more than others. Also 19" 35 profile. But when I use the other car with 15" 65 profile I don't notice even the potholes

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The world is in love with them, still trying to figure out why. A lot of car manufacturers have even stopped sedans for SUVS. I mean they don't even really offer that much of a space advantage of sedans, they are more expensive to insure, fuel, maintain and and but hey.
If I ever become an insurance salesman I'll get a sedan. Until then I'll stick with my SUV.

Segg

Expert Member
It can also depend on the road, the N4 exiting Witbank to the east is horrendous, as is the N2 coming up near macassar and somerset west, some parts of the N1 in Joburg have had repairs where there's a line of bitchumen just in the place where the right hand side wheels travel and it creates the most irritating noise....

thechamp

Honorary Master
Stupid SUV's are stupid.
Sedan lovers must unite.

asshat99

If I ever become an insurance salesman I'll get a sedan. Until then I'll stick with my SUV.
Bet the 'SUV' is really just a crossover with roof rails or something. Or some generic shopping cart mommy mobile (Rav4). Perfect for an office bound excel jockey trying to fit in.

Last edited:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
If you have steel belt tires one of them could be damaged as well. I had that issue some years back and it also only affected higher speeds.

Thorium

Are you sure that you didn't forget to eject the Kurt Darren CD?