Corruption is the cause of Eskom load shedding

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Soon to be in a car accident or something like that.
Isn't it funny how when a cadre breaks away they start spilling the beans and start sounding like the opposition parties.
Anyhow the NPA should investigate and open this can of mopanie worms.

R13...

Honorary Master
Soon to be in a car accident or something like that.
Isn't it funny how when a cadre breaks away they start spilling the beans and start sounding like the opposition parties.
Anyhow the NPA should investigate and open this can of mopanie worms.
They're taking their sweet time about arranging for his "accident or something like that" then, because Vavi has always been vocal about corruption. He is one of the founders of corruption watch and was on their board. I think they have since removed him following his sex/rape scandal.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Corruption was at the root of load shedding implemented by Eskom, former Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi said on Thursday evening.
No **** Sherlock.jpg

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member

Cheap loyalty .... cheap politics .... cheap ethics.

No wonder we are so infatuated with cheap Chinese imports

ngwe23

Executive Member
Vavi is loosing the plot. Load shedding is a result of our failure to build additional generating capacity on time. And lest we forget him and Malema were at the forefront of the Zunami. Sour grapes much.

xumwun

Expert Member
Vavi is loosing the plot. Load shedding is a result of our failure to build additional generating capacity on time. And lest we forget him and Malema were at the forefront of the Zunami. Sour grapes much.
I wonder what the reason for that would be?
And the Hitachi boiler scandal didn't delay Medupi?

Iwojima

Expert Member
There are many factors. One of them being that both the apartheid and current government ignored several studies (see: The White Papers) done by Eskom and outside contractors that showed the inevitable need for more capacity and pretty accurately predicted when loadshedding would need to occur. Unfortunately this resulted in the building of additional infrastructure being started too late to avoid load shedding completely.

Added to the above corruption, union intervention and striking have delayed the completion of new capacity within an acceptable timeframe. It's a complex situation and Vavi is not wrong, but he's not giving the whole picture in the above article.

ngwe23

Executive Member
Because the powers that be at the time thought,wrongly, we had enough generating capacity and there was no need to build more power stations.

R13...

Honorary Master
Because the powers that be at the time thought,wrongly, we had enough generating capacity and there was no need to build more power stations.
He's still right though, corruption and incompetence ruled the roost in the appointment of some of their suppliers all in the name of empowering women. A friend of mine told me how this one power station employed this woman and she was so incompetent for an electrical engineer, she didn't know what Kirchoff's law was and yet held some diploma in electrical engineering. They employed a lot of such people in the 90s/2000s. A lot of their good bursars had to find work elsewhere as Eskom went on a drive to fill gender equity quotas at the expense of capable engineers. Some of those incompetent got parachuted into management and project management - and I'm sure Eskom's contractors rub their hands in glee at the prospect of being managed by people who know so little.

MrMag

Is it not truly so that Black Africans in General can create wealth?
but useless at maintaining it.

ngwe23

Executive Member
He's still right though, corruption and incompetence ruled the roost in the appointment of some of their suppliers all in the name of empowering women. A friend of mine told me how this one power station employed this woman and she was so incompetent for an electrical engineer, she didn't know what Kirchoff's law was and yet held some diploma in electrical engineering. They employed a lot of such people in the 90s/2000s. A lot of their good bursars had to find work elsewhere as Eskom went on a drive to fill gender equity quotas at the expense of capable engineers. Some of those incompetent got parachuted into management and project management - and I'm sure Eskom's contractors rub their hands in glee at the prospect of being managed by people who know so little.
I disagree. The reason is simple. Government ignored warnings from Eskom about the need to start building power stations. The things that you mention are not the cause of load shedding.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The appointment of clueless cadres also contributed greatly to the current woes. In SA most problems fall in the "all of the above" category. Corruption and incompetence usually goes hand in hand.

R13...

Honorary Master
I disagree. The reason is simple. Government ignored warnings from Eskom about the need to start building power stations. The things that you mention are not the cause of load shedding.
Can you say how much of our base load capacity is online? Btw, I know someone at Eskom and he's been called in to "rescue" at least 3 stations and the things he found on plant walk-downs will frighten you. And that whole effort to de-mothball power stations was also badly managed, overspent by huge margins and delivered years late - that would have averted load-shedding.

There was one case where they burnt out a turbine because no one thought to ensure that the thing had over-temperature protection (and how the hell do you lose your cooling medium and not think to shutdown the equipment it is cooling before it even overheats?). I mean that is basic functional safety and ought to have been picked up in safety determination studies.

Pitbull

Verboten
Of which funds are needed and has been allocated.

Where there's smoke there's fire.