Corruption 'worsening' during Ramaphosa's tenure - survey

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Some South Africans say corruption has worsened during President Cyril Ramaphosa's tenure, according to a new survey conducted by Afrobarometer.

The survey found that not only do South Africans believe corruption is getting worse, but they see a large portion of elected officials and civil servants as involved in corrupt activities.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Well, a lot of fraudsters and corrupt officials have been identified but no arrests of high ranking a**holes have taken place. There have been numerous cases of ordinary citizens who have been caught defrauding companies and have been arrested, sentenced and imprisoned yet the corrupt high profile officials are still being "investigated" and receive monthly salaries where they have been suspended! :mad:

"D"

Expert Member
The survey found that not only do South Africans believe corruption is getting worse, but they see a large portion of elected officials and civil servants as involved in corrupt activities.
Scales are falling from a greater number of eyes.
That's refreshing, at least.

Howdy

Those surveyed believed the government was largely handling the anti-corruption fight badly.

A bit of an understatement

They also believed that channels to report corruption were increasingly seen as unsafe.
If top cops get gunned down ...

"The high level of perceived corruption within the Presidency might be, in part, attributable to the ongoing and widely publicised Zondo Commission,
No.

The New Dawn has no surprises.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Scales are falling from a greater number of eyes.
That's refreshing, at least.
What it looks like to me is that the best way of dealing with public perceptions around corruption is to make sure that there is so much corruption that no one cares about that anymore, the next guy who comes in and try to do something about it will then have to deal with the fallout.

Last edited:

porchrat

Honorary Master
I think corruption was so endemic under Zuma that it's become a self-reinforcing monster now.

Couple that with Ramaphosa who, like all ANC presidents, has done little to combat corruption, and it naturally will grow worse.

Liberation movements don't make for good governments.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
I see just the understanding of surface corruption, the big corrution is world wide(1992+), and seeing its not sustainable, the big understanding is going to be forced one or other way, and only then a return to normality can begin, and that is over the globe, Modern corruption(Extremely parasitic) from the top down is huge and cannot possibly be individuals seperately.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think corruption was so endemic under Zuma that it's become a self-reinforcing monster now.

Couple that with Ramaphosa who, like all ANC presidents, has done little to combat corruption, and it naturally will grow worse.

Liberation movements don't make for good governments.
Except that it doesn't look like there is evidence that it's getting worse or better but more evidence of corruption being exposed, what are your assertions that it's getting worse based on?

Howdy

What it looks like to me is that the best way of dealing with public perceptions around corruption is to make sure that there is so much corruption that no one cares about that anymore, the next guy who comes in and try to do something about it will then have to deal with the fallout.
Go Middle East justice. Anybody with no right hand is not worthy of your business.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Except that it doesn't look like there is evidence that it's getting worse or better but more evidence of corruption being exposed, what are your assertions that it's getting worse based on?

I would say that the pressure to combat corruption has grown cumbersome on the governing party, but neither do we have evidence that ‘state capture’ has been eroded, though the presidency has stated otherwise. State capture is corruption, corruption within the state is state capture, there are no musical chairs in this discussion.

There is an enabler which is nothing other than cadre deployment, what can cadre deployment be synonymously called? A criminal network?

It is a web, there are people, their associations, and governing structures entangled therein. How do you dismantle this? I don’t see an easy way out. Convicting Zuma may blow a hole in it, but it will recuperate in time. Faster and more decisive action is required, more criminals need to be brought to task.

I can only hope that the Zondo report will be a true and thorough dedication by the State Capture commission and their members, and that how it will be responded to will give the citizens reprieve, otherwise there will be more commissions, with less success, to come. It is the ordinary people who are the victims.