Cosatu to strike again on e-tolls, labour brokers

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.businesslive.co.za/south...atu-to-strike-again-on-e-tolls-labour-brokers

The Congress of South African Trade Unions will again go on a national strike on April 30 against e-tolling in Gauteng and labour brokers.

SA's biggest labour federation filed a Section 77 notice on April 16, which will enable workers to engage in protected protest action in the form of a national stay-away.

"As part of the mobilisation programme against the veiled privatisation and commodification of our roads through the e-tolling system, Cosatu will be embarking on marches, pickets, rallies, sit-ins and freeway blockades across most of our provinces," it said on Thursday.

Cosatu still insists that labour brokers should be banned but Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant is adamant that they will not, but, instead, will come under stricter regulations, as Cabinet recently approved the amendments to the Labour Relations Act and the basic Conditions of Employment Act.

The changes to the labour laws have been dogged with controversy, especially after trade union movement Cosatu insisted that labour brokers, the firms that supply temporary labour to other organisations, be banned outright.

On March 7 Cosatu held a nationwide strike demonstrating against labour broking, which it had described as "a form of modern day slavery" as one of its key issues.

The e-tolls are due to come into operation on April 30.
Can't they just separate the issues for once?

killadoob

Honorary Master
Who gives a shyte. Strike lads and burn shyte!!!!!!!!

Let the government know these e tolls are BS. Now we must get some non black faces there as well to show we are united in our feelings.

Fuma

Executive Member
Vavi was speaking on 702 last week that this strike is for etoll only. But then, Vavi can say anything he feels like.

R13...

Honorary Master
What's wrong with joining the two issues? The previous strike was quite successful in terms of getting the ANC & SANRAL thinking about the e-toll issue. The labour broking issues only came into focus when that new law to regulate brokers got discussed, otherwise it was all e-tolls (and COSATU got the project documents, someone planted the story that they benefited, etc).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Joining the two issues muddies the waters. There is no clarity as to how many people are protesting which issue, making it easier to dismiss both. The etoll ****s say it's a march against labour brokers. The labour brokers say its against etolls. And nothing gets resolved. Besides the fact that I don't agree with their stance on labour broking.

Beachless

Executive Member
The issue might be that all the etoll strike action requests have been declined but the labour broking ones not.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Is anybody else concerned that their priorities are starting to align with COSATU's? I know I am...

Wyzak

Expert Member
I agree that its stupid to combine the two into a single strike. As in the past some parties refused to join the strike because they don't agree with all of the points. I think labour brokers are the best thing since sliced bread, but e-toll is the devil.

grok

Honorary Master
What's wrong with joining the two issues? The previous strike was quite successful in terms of getting the ANC & SANRAL thinking about the e-toll issue. The labour broking issues only came into focus when that new law to regulate brokers got discussed, otherwise it was all e-tolls (and COSATU got the project documents, someone planted the story that they benefited, etc).
Because I have worked for and actually support the practice of labour broking and won't support the strike if the two are bundled. That's why.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
So should I cancel my leave for that day? I dont have a problem with labour brokers; how are they different to outsourced dev shops??

R13...

Honorary Master
Is anybody else concerned that their priorities are starting to align with COSATU's? I know I am...
Thank you Sherlock for unlocking that mystery;)

Because I have worked for and actually support the practice of labour broking and won't support the strike if the two are bundled. That's why.
Well COSATU are striking for their members and their members are affected by both issues. Doesn't mean you can't join the strike with your own priority. Tolls are the flavour of the day are going to take centre stage at the march.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Joining the two issues muddies the waters. There is no clarity as to how many people are protesting which issue, making it easier to dismiss both. The etoll ****s say it's a march against labour brokers. The labour brokers say its against etolls. And nothing gets resolved. Besides the fact that I don't agree with their stance on labour broking.
I agree that its stupid to combine the two into a single strike. As in the past some parties refused to join the strike because they don't agree with all of the points. I think labour brokers are the best thing since sliced bread, but e-toll is the devil.
+1. Don't give a rats anus about labour brokers. Would get behind mass anti e-toll action.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
It's not really a case of bundling the issues.
If you'll read the actual press statement, COSATU have stated that the mass actions are seperate:

(http://cosatu.org.za/show.php?ID=6044)

COSATU rolling mass action on E-tolling and Labour Brokers

19 April 2012

The Congress of South African Trade Unions is mobilizing its two million members for the mother of all protests against the act of highway robbery set to be committed from 30 April 2012 - the Gauteng e-tolls!

The federation filed a Section 77 notice on 16 April 2012 which will enable workers to engage in protected protest action in the form of a national stay-away on the 30 April 2012.

As part of the mobilisation programme against the veiled privatisation and commodification of our roads through the e-tolling system, COSATU will be embarking on marches, pickets, rallies, sit-ins and freeway blockades across most of our provinces.

COSATU will also be undertaking various protest actions in different provinces as part of advancing our demand for the banning of labour brokers.

Details of the Protest Activities

Gauteng

• Night vigil at the Tshwane Department of Roads and Transport on 25 April 2012 • Picket at the SANRAL offices on 25 April 2012 from 12h00-14h00
• Pickets at the Tshwane Department of Roads and Transport on 26 April 2012 from 15h00
• Freeway/Toll Road Action on 30 April 2012.

North West
• Night Vigil at the Swartruggens toll gate on the 20 and 21 April 2012

Eastern Cape
• Provincial marches on 21 April 2012 in East London, Port Elizabeth, Mthatha and Lusikisiki
• Workplace lunch hour demonstrations and pickets from 26-30 April 2012

Free State
• Joint local Shop Stewards council on 21 April 2012, Bloemfontein
• Workplace lunch hour pickets and demonstrations from 23-24 April 2012

Western Cape
• Occupation/Siyalalala/Sit-in at the Provincial Department of Labour offices on 23 April 2012
• Workplace lunch time pickets and demonstrations 24th April 2012 at Epping Bofor Circle - Montague Gardens and Woolworths distribution centre in Montague Drive

COSATU is confident that that the 30th April actions we will be joined by thousands of angry residents and motorists who support our demand for the scrapping of the e-tolling system.

COSATU strongly believes that the pressure of the masses is crucial to forcing government to back down on this blatant extortion. Our aim is to make the tolls uncollectible and force the government and SANRAL to find more equitable ways to pay for road improvements.

We urge all members of the public, across different parts of South Africa, to pledge support for the campaign by joining the protest actions and by defying the call to purchase e-tags.

Phindile Kunene (Shopsteward Magazine Editor)
Congress of South African Trade Unions
P.O.Box 1019
Johannesburg
South Africa

Tel: +27 11 339-4911/24
Fax: +27 11 339-5080 / 6940
Mobile: +27 79 167 9544 or 82 494 2409
E-mail: phindi@cosatu.org.za

Jola

Honorary Master
I would also prefer it if the demonstration was only against e-tolls !

daveza

Honorary Master
Just because you like the main feature doesn't imply you back the supporting act.

The more the merrier.