Cost of landline calls to VOIP?

Hummercellc

Expert Member
This could well be the problem. People in charge at work aren't as tech knowledgeable as they like to think and I have no doubt remote staff are jostling with VoIP for bandwidth.

Another thing is although WFH staff all have fibre at home, work is still on ADSL. Trying to catch up on revenue before paying exorbitant amount quoted by fibre providers to lay fibre from the street up the 40 metre driveway into the building.

Would the VoIP providers know which codec to use?
Pretty much all VoIP providers are the same.
Depending on who your voip provider is, I would suggest getting another naked dsl line, no need for the phone line portion from telkom in this case.

If you use Vox for VoIP get a line through Vox, if you use Mweb for VoIP get a line through Mweb.

And configure all your sip phones to go through that dsl line, and no other traffic.

By using a dsl line from the same provider as the VoIP provider, you will avoid peering further up the line, thus avoiding any peering issues between ISPs, as the VoIP servers usually sit on the same network.

Generally when you have the same VoIP provider supply VoIP and internet, latency and jitter will be lower to their SIP servers, again no peering, and most will prioritise VoIP traffic over their network to their SIP servers.

Edit: to answer your question, 99% of the time G729 codec is used.

You would need a 10mbps ADSL to get 1mbps upload speed, which should handle about 20 odd concurrent calls using G729.
And about 8 concurrent calls using G711 (Alaw/Ulaw).

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
Pretty much all VoIP providers are the same.
Depending on who your voip provider is, I would suggest getting another naked dsl line, no need for the phone line portion from telkom in this case.

If you use Vox for VoIP get a line through Vox, if you use Mweb for VoIP get a line through Mweb.

And configure all your sip phones to go through that dsl line, and no other traffic.

By using a dsl line from the same provider as the VoIP provider, you will avoid peering further up the line, thus avoiding any peering issues between ISPs, as the VoIP servers usually sit on the same network.

Generally when you have the same VoIP provider supply VoIP and internet, latency and jitter will be lower to their SIP servers, again no peering, and most will prioritise VoIP traffic over their network to their SIP servers.

Edit: to answer your question, 99% of the time G729 codec is used.

You would need a 10mbps ADSL to get 1mbps upload speed, which should handle about 20 odd concurrent calls using G729.
And about 8 concurrent calls using G711 (Alaw/Ulaw).

A second ADSL line is an excellent idea and thank you for the detailed advice.

What you say about concurrent calls is interesting too because our system has 10 extensions and 4/5 calls are often in progress simultaneously. Probably sharing a connection with data.

Could you answer another question please? If an outside call is made to a VoIP number and is transferred to a mobile phone off site is the call quality dependent on the VoIP system or the receiver's wifi?

@jostian don't mean to hijack your thread.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Could you answer another question please? If an outside call is made to a VoIP number and is transferred to a mobile phone off site is the call quality dependent on the VoIP system or the receiver's wifi?
Quite simply, the call quality is dependent on the calling party's connectivity, the called party's connectivity as well as the whole IP path in-between them. If any element is experiencing too much jitter or packet loss (and to a lesser extent latency) it affects the experience for all parties

maumau

Honorary Master
Quite simply, the call quality is dependent on the calling party's connectivity, the called party's connectivity as well as the whole IP path in-between them. If any element is experiencing too much jitter or packet loss (and to a lesser extent latency) it affects the experience for all parties

Thanks

nanna

Can anyone assist As far as I know I have a Telkom landline. in Mossel Bay.
I had problems about 2 months ago........they sent someone out.....he did not come into the house
Since then when certain friends call me the line sounds like a wedding car dragging tin cans behind it.
Both my husband and I really battle to hear on the phone. The line is VERY BAD
I had a look at my phone account and was shocked to see
1. Subscription & usage for xxxxxxx(my number) Fixed Voice BB and Internet service R 329.42
2. " " " Fixed Voice and Internet Service R165.45
3. " " TIN xxxxxxxx TI ALL ACCESS CAPPED SERVICE R150.31
The they reflect a discount of R 56.49
Account total R588.94

SoftCap (40GB)
Type
Allocation
Used
Remaining
In-bundle
40.00GB​
27.02GB (68%)​
12.98GB (32%)​
Pre-paid Top-Up
0.00GB​
0.00GB (0%)​
0.00GB (0%)​
Subtotal
40.00GB
27.02GB (68%)
12.98GB (32%)
Post-Paid usage*
0.00GB​
0.00GB (0%)​
0.00GB (0%) *​
Total
40.00GB
27.02GB (68%)
12.98GB (32%) *

We NEVER used more than 15 to 20 Gb now the last 3 months 27G

We were supposed to have 40 GB (which started at 10G Then they increased every so many years by 10 G's where we are now ar 40 but were never charged more It was to make up foe when they gave people big discountd snd we were pacified with an extrs 10G's here and there
I have been with telkom for 57 years but feel it is now beyond a joke and far too expensive . We are pensioners
ALSO who was TELKOM GIVEN TO We have suddenly started receiving NO ACCOUNT. I phone Telkom for a balance..........
Any advice would be much appreciated . I am a numnut with TECH
Regards

argh

Hi nanna,
  • Telkom service has become increasingly bad over the past few years, even though in the past it was good.
  • Where Telkom (Openserve) fibre or mobile is available, Telkom is increasingly ending landlines and ADSL lines. My area was discontinued about a year ago. There have been many news articles about this, the latest on Mybroadband being: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/365540-new-date-for-big-adsl-shutdown-in-south-africa.html .
  • If Telkom is going to cut off your area, they should notify you by SMS, email, or on your invoice (which you don't seem to be getting :giggle:). You can accept their replacement products, or change to other providers. If like me you don't want to keep experiencing their bad service, the latter is better. Start by assessing what your needs are, eg do you need to keep your landline number or not (if you do, Telkom is not the only option, you can port your number to a VOIP provider. You can receive & make VOIP calls on a handset that looks like a landline phone, and/or on an app/programme on a smartphone). Do you need to make a lot of phone calls, do you like to chat for hours on the phone, how much data do you need, etc. If you want to keep your Telkom email address, that is possible without having any other services with them. Then look at products from a wide range of providers (Telkom, other ISPs such as VOX, MWEB, AFRIHOST, AXXESS, WEBAFRICA, and Cellphone providers like Cell C, MTN, VODACOM).
  • I am also "a numnut with TECH". I did not need to keep my landline number, but make a lot of phone calls, and use a fair amount of data (which increased since Covid-19). I kept my Telkom email address, but due to endless problems I have had with that with most of this year, I am changing my email to outlook.com and Gmail. For phone calls & internet I chose options that needed no technical knowhow and were a painless changeover: Cell C prepaid anynet calling plans. various prices, I mostly use R200/30 days/15 hours of local calls to any number & toll-free numbers are free. For internet I bought a rechargeable mifi modem at Cell C (works during loadshedding off its battery for about 3 hours, charges via a USB port on a computer or wall plug). The sim in the modem is loaded as needed with Cell C prepaid Gb which last a year, various options, cheapest one equals R10/Gb. An option like the one I chose, excluding the cost of the modem, R200/month for phone calls, and 27 Gb at R270, could reduce your monthly bill to R470/month.
  • There is a lot of information in these forums about alternatives to Telkom, eg https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/wtf-is-telkom-doing-now.1100224/page-2#post-26004808 .
Do your research, take the leap, and you won't miss your Telkom products at all!

chrisc

Executive Member
My Freshphone 087- number was ported to my Telkom number in 3 weeks, this back in February. 5 other people also started to use Freshphone but 3 of them have had their porting declined by Telkom

Telkom simply ignored the request and 2 months later said it was out of date. By that time the line had been disconnected so they refused on the grounds that there must be a working Telkom service in place

A typical lazy bureaucratic excuse. You cannot win dealing with idiots like this

theuser

Axxess service is pathetic. I got the VOIP from them, sent them a message to cancel because I preferred having a 6 month roll over from fresh phone. They said I had to wait until after the promo period then told me I I had to wait an extra month because they only counted the month notice after my promo period. Such sharks.

Captain Axxess

Company Representative
Company Rep
Axxess service is pathetic. I got the VOIP from them, sent them a message to cancel because I preferred having a 6 month roll over from fresh phone. They said I had to wait until after the promo period then told me I I had to wait an extra month because they only counted the month notice after my promo period. Such sharks.
Hi there, please send me your account details and your email address and I will be in touch with you.