• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

cost of SA electricity

Arthur

Honorary Master
Poor Germans. They have a seriously messed-up energy policy. Their solar PV gambit and move away from nuclear will haunt them for decades as one of the most misbegotten policy moves since Bismarck in the 19th C. And solar PV isn't half as "green" as its touters say.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Poor Germans. They have a seriously messed-up energy policy. Their solar PV gambit and move away from nuclear will haunt them for decades as one of the most misbegotten policy moves since Bismarck in the 19th C. And solar PV isn't half as "green" as its touters say.
I would suggest read the rebuttal to this here (start at the comments, the article is pretty much doom and gloom as you make it out to be).

http://energypost.eu/end-energiewende/

Yes, I have the first comment ;)

Facts are that renewable prices have dropped precipitously, storage is starting to do so, and coal and new nuclear are getting priced out of the market. Germany led the way in starting that. Not a bad thing.

They need more interconnects between east and west, and poland needs to get off their coal fix, but its doing quite fine.
More large scale pumped storage will help.

France is the one I'd be worried about, all their Nuclear is decades old, and needs to be retired. No money in the budget for that as Areva and EDF are effectively bankrupt.

saturnz

Honorary Master
The issue is more to do with municipalities adding a mark up on electricity distribution.

In this regard how municipalities raise revenue remains a stumbling block as any changes will receive strong resistance.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
France is the one I'd be worried about, all their Nuclear is decades old, and needs to be retired. No money in the budget for that as Areva and EDF are effectively bankrupt.
The bankruptcy is effectively virtual since the state refunds the decommissioning costs to EDF.

The majority of the reactors is from the 80/90 and 2000s, only 5 over 58 are from the end the 1970s.

The ones from the 1980s can run until 2040.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_reactors

qscwbt

Expert Member
Eskom can keep increasing I will keep reducing my consumption. I will keep adding alternative energy.

richjdavies

For me...
Eskom can keep increasing I will keep reducing my consumption.
^This! Reductions will always pay... LED lights, cut out waste etc...
I will keep adding alternative energy.
Still for me, not so much this! Solar is great & all... but it generates power when I don't use it (day time usage in my house is literally the fridge turning on and off - about 200W on for like 5 minutes per hour!
So for solar to be any use I'd need a battery... and now that's not worth it finally... yet... almost... but getting closer!

I guess we'll all go off-grid in the end, either because Eskom is charging so much it makes sense; or they don't, go bankrupt and all the power stations start falling over!

xrapidx

Honorary Master
350% increase in a decade - water has increased by almost 600%

April 2010 - 12KL = R18.65
September 2017 - 12KL - R115.90