Cost of Vumatel R1725 installation fee?

BarnettE

Does anyone know what happens if Vumatel cannot do the installation or want to charge you a ridiculous amount? Cool Ideas demands upfront payment of the R1725 installation fee, but will they refund you if you decide not to go ahead?

The reason I ask is that I was told that the R1725 fee only covers a basic installation of no more than 30m, and that the actual cost may be a lot higher depending on circumstances. (I have already installed conduit all the way from the street box to the point of installation, so they don't have to do any digging or even drill a hole, but the distance is well over 30m.)

I can't seem to get a clear answer from anyone. Vumatel say they cannot give an upfront quote and that I must talk to the ISP. Cool Ideas did not even read my question and just sent me an unhelpful copy & paste response.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The installation is usually done by a contractor, so unsure. If it's just pulling the cable in, and they already have the cable, they'll probably not charge you extra.
Frogfoot charges the same for install about and an extra R58/m, but I haven't ever heard of anyone being charged it, and if you already have the conduit, they probably won't as it's more to cover man hours is my guess, as the fiber itself is quite cheap.

BarnettE

Thanks Johnatan, yea, that is what I also thought. Which is why I want to know if I can cancel if they come with something ridiculous.

R13...

Honorary Master
If your distance is within the 30m then you'll only be liable for the standard install fee, doubt they'll charge if it's over by a few cms or something.

Chaka

I don't have a boundary wall at the new place so the fibre box is already fixed to the house. R1720 feels excessive to drill a hole through the wall and a couple meters of cable.
Maybe say I want the CPE on the opposite side of the house to make up :D

ijacobs3

Expert Member
When vumatel done my install, the cable was a premade 30m cable , so i have a massive coil of cable around my modem

Chaka

I don't have a boundary wall at the new place so the fibre box is already fixed to the house. R1720 feels excessive to drill a hole through the wall and a couple meters of cable.
Maybe say I want the CPE on the opposite side of the house to make up :D
And yes, I know it includes the cost of the CPE as well, just the idea of paying for extra that's not needed.

Sounds like I'll have a massive coil as well then if it's premade

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I don't think Vumatel have ever billed for additional runs, if you cancel we refund the amount.

HowTo

Expert Member
They used a 150m cable on my install. (Premade)
I have coil of fiber in house and flat roof.
The default 30m cable would not do from street to gate.
Sitting with a panhandle drive way. My installation ended in flat.
Assume 120m fiber cable was used.

cavedog

Honorary Master
The problem is not the actual cable length it's labour when it comes to trenching.

If they needed to trench that many meters they might want to charge extra.

HowTo

Expert Member
The problem is not the actual cable length it's labour when it comes to trenching.

If they needed to trench that many meters they might want to charge extra.
The first cable the pulled in was faulty.
Next one was ok. (Mustek pre-made fiber lead)
They trenched the panhandle drive way in conduit. Then a short way to garage in conduit on top of wall. Along the wall garage not conduit. Then crossed over under roof to house.
Then crossed over to flat under roof. Up to the point into my study.

Last edited:

BarnettE

Just to report back... I was not charged extra for my install.

I asked them if they ever charge extra and they only mentioned that if they have to lift paving then they will not put the paving back. Another team will come later and that will cost extra.

They had different cable lengths with 5m intervals, eg 25m, 30m, 35m, etc. Mine was 45m. I had already installed conduit all the way from the street box into my house, so all they had to do was pull the cable through and to mount the CPE on the wall. So it was a very quick install. I do feel sorry for these guys though - I think they have a tough job. They do multiple installs per day and have to finish at each site within two hours.

Last edited:

HowTo

Expert Member
" I asked them if they ever charge extra and they only mentioned that if they have to lift paving then they will not put the paving back. Another team will come later and that will cost extra. "

Never paid a cent to fix my driveway.

isie

Honorary Master
" I asked them if they ever charge extra and they only mentioned that if they have to lift paving then they will not put the paving back. Another team will come later and that will cost extra. "

Never paid a cent to fix my driveway.

They probably write of the rare ones that cost more - Majority of the install probably cost less then a few hundred bucks (and i'm really over estimating that) so the few major ones like yours are are drop in the ocean