Court case could end affirmative action based on race in South Africa

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah, a fun fact is that there are about 10 times more blacks in the country than whites. So even if you take everything that whites have and distribute it around, the average black will only grow by 1/10 the average white guy now, in terms of wealth. Barely anything.
What's interesting is that even if you give every one of the 4.5m white people (some are children) a job black people will still have more than 50% of the jobs. We've passed the point where white people can no longer own the job market, if we ever could. BEE the way it's implemented against the minority is a complete farce.

_TrXtR_

there are however fundamental differences between the two.
as a whilte male, i can still live wherever i choose, sit anywhere in a bus or train, and dont have to carry a permit to allow me to visit a friend on the other side of town
Yes the governement will allow those. The people dont.
You dont need a permit, it's the color of your skin.

Drifter

Honorary Master
it was wrong then and remains wrong now

as a whilte male, i can still live wherever i choose, sit anywhere in a bus or train, and dont have to carry a permit to allow me to visit a friend on the other side of town
Forkoff, a black person can do the same. Me, as a white male, I wont risk my life.

xeslaro

Expert Member

If this government introduced racial segregation, I'd welcome it if that means the comfort of relative safety. Cos, nowadays, the necessity of living inside a prison-like home and being in an always alert-on-guard frame of mind renders these choices we now enjoy as superficial.

konfab

Honorary Master

Totalitarian states don't get formed overnight.
In South Africa, the whole apartheid legislative machinery started with the dissolution of property rights for black people, which happened well before any of the segregationist acts.

konfab

Honorary Master
If this government introduced racial segregation, I'd welcome it if that means the comfort of relative safety. Cos, nowadays, the necessity of living inside a prison-like home and being in an always alert-on-guard frame of mind renders these choices we now enjoy as superficial.
Benjamin Franklin said:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

xeslaro

Expert Member
At this moment all the power resides in the hands of criminals. The state is powerless.

garp

Executive Member
Government mandated racist employment policies have been a monumental failure.

At some level I believe even the most brainwashed know this and understand the result, yet they continue to choose to have broken institutions, mass inefficiency and a decaying economy instead of freeing up SOE's, government departments and the business sector to use the best people available, no matter their skin colour.

I've thought long and hard about this and sadly my only conclusion is that it comes down to racism and revenge. There is no other logical explanation for deliberately shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of excluding one minority ethnic group.

I believe that there are many in positions of power who are well aware of the damage it does, but unfortunately, it is now politically impossible for this to be reversed under the current hegemony, and it is virtual political suicide to speak out against it.

History shows that an impasse like this is only resolved during a massive catharsis of some kind - war, famine, disaster, economic collapse, etc.

doubletrouble

Expert Member
Solidarity suffers defeat in affirmative action case
The union Solidarity has failed in its court bid to force government to change its affirmative action polices.

Judge André van Niekerk dismissed Solidarity's case in the Labour Court in Johannesburg on Tuesday, after having repeatedly expressed concern over his jurisdiction in the case.
Court hearings started mid-September and the judgment was handed down on Tuesday.