Court case could end affirmative action based on race in South Africa

flippakitten

Expert Member
And anyway, the last 25 years of affirmative action and race based policy clearly has not worked, and has only enriched the politically connected. Why don't we give the free market a try for once in this country's wretched history.
I wouldn't call it a complete failure, it was a jump start for many people but it should have been replaced 10 years ago, when the cracks started to show

xeslaro

Expert Member
A Rainbow nation they said.

I get the sense that, in general, and within only the last few years, the divide between the races groups has grown, a lot. There's way more tension nowadays than during the Mandela/Mbeki era. Instead of moving forward together, race relations went backwards.

Perhaps it's just me that senses this change?

Jola

Honorary Master
Yip, the ANC and EFF have damaged race relations a lot. Lately, even the DA.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
A Rainbow nation they said.

I get the sense that, in general, and within only the last few years, the divide between the races groups has grown, a lot. There's way more tension nowadays than during the Mandela/Mbeki era. Instead of moving forward together, race relations went backwards.

Perhaps it's just me that senses this change?
I completely agree.

I know this is what everyone says, but I truly believe the ANC is to blame. They let Zuma get away with murder, and they blamed white people rather than taking responsibility for their failures. When the economy is tanking and crime is rising, directly because of the ANC, the ANC blamed white people and WMC, despite that having nothing to do with it. Because the ANC has no shame and cannot take responsibility for their own failures.

So the whites were used as a scapegoat, and as a result, racial hatred increased. You would expect that, 20~ years after the end of apartheid, racial boundaries should be shrinking, but they aren't.

You'd expect that BEE and AA would be lessened because their would be less need for them after 20 odd years, but clearly that isn't true.

Bewlen

Save your money, find a job, pack your **** and leave.

Telling people over and over again you intend on leaving, that the country is going down, that there is not hope... we get it. Some of us even agree with you. We don't particularly care about your feelings about it, but we do get it.

There's no need to repeat it. Makes you sound like a man without a plan, scared shitless off actually pulling the trigger and leaving.

Be a man. Do it!
You might be confusing the "telling people over and over again" part, with so many people actually saying it. Therein lies the crux ;)

To be blatantly honest, the fact that certain people keep telling certain other people to shut up over and over again because they are repeating themselves, is worth a chuckle. So your "instruction" scribbled on screens should dictate my actions? Lol!

This is the internet. Welcome to it. I'll write what I want, when I want. If you don't like it, block me. Come on, block me.

Be a man. Do it!

Acid0

Expert Member
I completely agree.

I know this is what everyone says, but I truly believe the ANC is to blame. They let Zuma get away with murder, and they blamed white people rather than taking responsibility for their failures. When the economy is tanking and crime is rising, directly because of the ANC, the ANC blamed white people and WMC, despite that having nothing to do with it. Because the ANC has no shame and cannot take responsibility for their own failures.

So the whites were used as a scapegoat, and as a result, racial hatred increased. You would expect that, 20~ years after the end of apartheid, racial boundaries should be shrinking, but they aren't.

You'd expect that BEE and AA would be lessened because their would be less need for them after 20 odd years, but clearly that isn't true.
Unfortunately a common enemy keeps us united for now.
Tomorrow they will find another enemy but today it will be the white man, tomorrow the Asian and so forth.
Eventually it will be tribal

The AA boundaries just grow every year

Swa

Honorary Master
I dunno.. do a few company visits sometime. While there are many that hire diverse people there are plenty that look like a company in 94.
Maybe you should. Just your local Checkers will likely show you that there are 20 tellers and 30 packers all black. It's '94 just in reverse but the ANC will never acknowledge that if you take the whole workforce into consideration it's pretty diverse.

It’s simple.. there has never been an adequate fix to correct the imbalance created in society.

While AA, BEE etc aim to rapidly address the shortfall directly by encouraging diversity in workforce.. it’s been 25yrs.. will hiring diverse workforce happen outside of gov pushing it? In corporate SA I seriously doubt there will be changes as they have CSRs but yah.. SMEs will be fun to watch not that the ones that refuse to change have.

I reckon no.. this forum has shown countless times people can’t change.
The fix would have been education. Something the ANC has never seen as a priority. Secretly they were probably hoping that private enterprise would cover the shortfall. That hasn't happened as it's easier to just hire 2 lackeys to do the work of 1 properly trained person. AA is the worse injustice you could ever do to black people. You have black slums in America as a result of handouts because it removes the incentive to achieve thereby repeating the cycle. Why black people aren't shouting this from the rooftops I don't know. *shrug*

Swa

Honorary Master
Unfortunately a common enemy keeps us united for now.
Tomorrow they will find another enemy but today it will be the white man, tomorrow the Asian and so forth.
Eventually it will be tribal

The AA boundaries just grow every year
Tribal is still racial. Black and white aren't races.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Established businesses don't want a free market. They've never wanted a free market. They want the law skewed in their favour.

One is the absolute mismanagement of the state owned companies in this country that do these stupid policies (this includes before 1994). Aside from Eskom, most of the state owned companies in South Africa have always been an absolute sh!tshow because of these polices(both past and present racial nationalism). All the ANC has managed to do is get Eskom to join the pile of garbage.
Not comparing the same things. A racist white company would still have the pick of skilled white people, so they'd easily be able to be competitive. Not the same as hiring people solely for being white.

The other is the relative increase in wealth for white South Africans once the labour market became substantially more free in 1994. This was because they were substantially less barriers for them to access other sources of labour for their businesses, especially for more senior roles.
All other things did not remain equal, so there were many possible causes. Never mind the fact that it was the time when the labour market became significantly less flexible, because new protections were introduced. So I could simply claim that those new protections for employees led to increased wealth.

Ryansr

Expert Member
History will judge harshly and will not discriminate between those that did and those that didn't. Turnaround is fair play.
Those that did and those that didn't what? :unsure:

thechamp

Honorary Master
Maybe you should. Just your local Checkers will likely show you that there are 20 tellers and 30 packers all black. It's '94 just in reverse but the ANC will never acknowledge that if you take the whole workforce into consideration it's pretty diverse.

The fix would have been education. Something the ANC has never seen as a priority. Secretly they were probably hoping that private enterprise would cover the shortfall. That hasn't happened as it's easier to just hire 2 lackeys to do the work of 1 properly trained person. AA is the worse injustice you could ever do to black people. You have black slums in America as a result of handouts because it removes the incentive to achieve thereby repeating the cycle. Why black people aren't shouting this from the rooftops I don't know. *shrug*
White people came out just fine after years of apartheid and colonialism, unless there is some latent damage we can't see now, I don't see foresee any adverse AA side effects on black people.

Last edited:

xeslaro

Expert Member
White people came out just fine after years of apartheid and colonialism, unless there is some latent damagewe can't see now, I don't see foresee any adverse AA side effects on black people.
You are usually way more articulate than this intellectually dishonest drivel. What happened?

Swa

Honorary Master
Those that did and those that didn't what? :unsure:
Discriminate

White people came out just fine after years of apartheid and colonialism, unless there is some latent damage we can't see now, I don't see foresee any adverse AA side effects on black people.
So black people are on equal ground? While you mention it yes white people came out just fine after decades of colonialism. You're forgetting that black people aren't the only ones that were affected by it. So why is it that it's only one group crying over it and how it "held them back"?

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Yeah no ptsd from guys who were forced to fight under both systems , have you considered stand up comedy ? you wouldnt be completely terrible if you can say that with a straight face.