Court rules that Schweizer-Reneke teacher can return to her post

Drifter

Honorary Master
Schweizer-Reneke - The Johannesburg Labour Court on Thursday ruled that Laerskool Schweizer-Reneke teacher Elana Barkhuizen's suspension was unlawful.

The court ordered that Barkhuizen return to work immediately.

Barkhuizen was suspended on January 10, a day after the start of the 2019 academic year, after a picture she took of a fellow-teacher's Grade R class went viral

It depicted the black pupils sitting at a separate table from the white children.

She was labelled a racist, but Barkhuizen explained in her affidavit that this was done for practical reasons and that the children were moved from time to time.
On Wednesday the North West MEC for Education, Sello Lehari, and the department would no longer oppose Barhuizen's urgent application to return to her post.

Lehari told labour union Solidarity late Wednesday afternoon that he decided to withdraw his opposition to Barkhuizen's urgent application before the Johannesburg Labour Court to have her suspension set aside.

Lehari indicated that he will abide by the decision of the court.

zelda.venter@.co.za

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/north-west/court-rules-that-schweizer-reneke-teacher-can-return-to-her-post-18946751

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Racist authorities are a problem. Maybe they need to be thinned out.
Agreed. They should stop trying to appeal to the rabid social media activists and instead sit back and think for two seconds before slandering people.

redspark

Expert Member
I am still trying to get my head around this whole story. Time will sort me out, or not.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I def think this is the road Solidarity will no go down... at the very least the MEC is going to be dragged into court for a defamation suit I reckon.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I def think this is the road Solidarity will no go down... at the very least the MEC is going to be dragged into court for a defamation suit I reckon.
I hope they do. The Department of Education seems to like getting involved in racial matters, often creating them where none existed, so they need to catch a bit of a wake-up.

HunterNW

Executive Member
'She was labelled a racist'. As what will all the others who tried to take her down be labelled ?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Sanity prevailed but the damage have been done. The ANC most probably have plans for the judiciary.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So she was employed by the SGB yet the education department suspended her?
LOL

Daruk

Honorary Master
"Elana Barkhuizen had been called to account to the South African Council for Educators (Sace)."
They had better tread carefully.... this is going to cause an exodus of teachers IMO.