COVID 19 and new pc prices crystal ball predictions

Crunchza

Hi guys,

so I am in the market for a new desktop beastly gaming PC, but it is not urgent and as one does, you always look for a bargain\value for money. The point is I can wait before I make such a purchase and hence I am in the hunt for a good deal and in my wisdom (questionable), I am asking you all to see what your crystal ball predicts.

My primary question is what are the predictions\soothsayers saying, regarding new pc hardware prices post COVID 19 lockdown extension?

Is it possible that suppliers (post lockdown) may look at slashing prices, having sales, just to get some cash flow and money in the bank to pay their various bills = great deals = good idea to buy such a PC post lockdown.

Alternatively Trump is being typical Trump, and so that is maybe bad news for the dollar and with the USA continuing to have man flu (probably for a long time after us) will the dollar drop in value? However, on the flipside we have an extended lockdown and a totally junk status and toilet paper rand.... So does anyone have any ideas on future PC hardware prices for our shores? We are slaves to the exchange rate so any idea where that may go and hence affect PC prices? Bottom line is if I wait 3 months will I likely get a better priced pc, value for money wise, or will I only be able to afford a calculator?

Anyway apologies in advance. I am not a numbers person at all, zero business\sales background, zero economics, zero accounting, but I am just asking advice from maybe those that actually hold such wisdom.

Cheers.

PeterPan420

Is it possible that suppliers (post lockdown) may look at slashing prices, having sales, just to get some cash flow and money in the bank to pay their various bills = great deals = good idea to buy such a PC post lockdown.
Nope. The opposite is already happening actually.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Prices are already going up, just from a week or even two weeks ago.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The Rand is impacted by many negatives at the moment, and not only by COVID-19. I see a lot more attention is placed on the virus than on the other impacts.

Also, you need to take into consideration that with less competition, price isn't competitively driven. Odd situation with bad economic policies.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Did you just assume prices wouldn't go up ?
This is RSA even the well known places gouge you .

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Prices are going up as confirmed by Wootware in a recent email response from them.

Buy now, they'reopen and delivering.

rustypup

Supply has been severely restricted so pricing has gone insane.

....and still can't get stock.

The situation is a little nuts...

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Supply has been severely restricted so pricing has gone insane.

....and still can't get stock.

The situation is a little nuts...
Rustypup! Lordie, long time dude. Ron2K has rejuvenated the old hangout if you're keen.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Prices will go up because of the exchange rate, best to buy now if you can. Evetech and other stores have not updated pricing yet. Wootware is increasing prices daily almost, as they are shipping atm.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Prices will go up because of the exchange rate, best to buy now if you can. Evetech and other stores have not updated pricing yet. Wootware is increasing prices daily almost, as they are shipping atm.
If it is with regards to local stock already available in the country not directly affected by the rand, as it is here already they can pissoff now, and will never support them.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
If it is with regards to local stock already available in the country not directly affected by the rand, as it is here already they can pissoff now, and will never support them.
Indeed most stores sell at the cost that would take to replace it, but wootware is just being greedy now.

Lupus

Honorary Master
But now you're saving R5300 instead of R2400, more than double the savings!!!
Yup it's a massive savings... They are really starting to lose it on their pricing tbh. Almost daily jumps.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yup it's a massive savings... They are really starting to lose it on their pricing tbh. Almost daily jumps.
Ignoring the weak Rand and supply being hindered when there is no market competition there is no price competition. A monopoly is a wet dream.