Covid-19 compared to Black Death and others

eg2505

Honorary Master
careful what you compare covid to, plague has been reported in China

soon enough the black death will reemerge in the 21 century.

lexity

Expert Member
It kind of underplays and skews the numbers everywhere here.

I'm curious, how does it underplay or skew the numbers? Seems like a very straightforward, uncomplicated measure of deaths per population size.

The CDC has come out and stated openly the survival rate of Covid-19 infected persons is at least 99% (for all ages).

There are better ways to make the case against the reaction to Covid19.

Ok. Would you care to list any? And say why you think it's better.

Executive Member
I'm curious, how does it underplay or skew the numbers? Seems like a very straightforward, uncomplicated measure of deaths per population size.

Well, your AIDs number is over 40 odd years. How you can compare that to covid over 12 months or so.
The global population sizes of anything before like 1000s is best guess I'd say.

Throw in the 2014 ebola outbreak into those numbers, it will be a tiny % but I sure as hell wouldn't want ebola anywhere near me.

Ok. Would you care to list any? And say why you think it's better.

You stated it yourself, the survival rate is a much better measurement to use than "deaths per total global population at the time"

Speedster

Honorary Master
There is no way the black death took out 40% of the global population. It hardly even took out 40% of the European population.

Also, what all these comparisons fail to illustrate is how many people would have died had it not been for the extreme measures taken. It may well have had no effect, it may have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Truth is we will never know.

lexity

Expert Member
Also, what all these comparisons fail to illustrate is how many people would have died had it not been for the extreme measures taken. It may well have had no effect, it may have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Truth is we will never know.

I agree. Clearly, as in the case of Covid-19, the cure i.e. LD, can be far, far worse than the disease.

lexity

Expert Member
Well, your AIDs number is over 40 odd years. How you can compare that to covid over 12 months or so.
The global population sizes of anything before like 1000s is best guess I'd say.

Throw in the 2014 ebola outbreak into those numbers, it will be a tiny % but I sure as hell wouldn't want ebola anywhere near me.

You stated it yourself, the survival rate is a much better measurement to use than "deaths per total global population at the time"

I have serious reservations about any HIV numbers. AIDS numbers on the other hand would be easier to digest, but only when accounting for the high doses of toxic drugs like AZT in the early days.

But in terms of deaths per plague/disease outbreak/epidemics/pandemics, I think it's a useful metric to look at the threat to the total population. The duration is not so important if the peak has been passed. More important is the body count once the threat has passed.

Covid-19 is supposed to have passed its peak. So perhaps where you have other diseases which are still accounting for high numbers of deaths this graph is less useful. But nevertheless the real danger is the effect of the lockdown, which this graph does not measure.

The elephant in the room is the ailing global economy, in the lead up to the coronoia. I suspect Lamberti knows this, even if many of his contemporaries don't or don't want to acknowledge it.

If you ask me, Covid-19 has been a giant magic carpet, essential for sweeping inevitable central-planning results under.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Comparing a disease in 2020 to a disease when horses weren't even invented yet is so stupid I'm not even sure why it was made in the first place. Global communications and preventative measures & modern medicine etc. kinda make a difference.

lexity

Expert Member
No. I mean your statement is false.

The risk cohorts are well known and age cohort is a primary risk indicator for fatality.

Your statement, in bold, doesn't show how my statement differs from, or contradicts, the CDC numbers.

I said at least a 99% survival rate based on infected persons, according to the CDC, for all age groups. This is from the latest relevant CDC publication.

If you account for the alleged discrepancy in the numbers, I will make an immediate retraction. Otherwise, I expect a retraction from you.

lexity

Expert Member
You're doing it again.

By no stretch of the data or imagination is this claim true. It has never been true. Why are you claiming this? Based on what?

You're saying my number differs from that published by the CDC.

You're not only making the claim it differs, but you also claimed I deliberately falsified theirs.

So, let's start with the claim that it differs.... show me.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Oh great another moron pandemic denier thread, MyBB really does crable the brain SA trust to its bosom. Mother of god.

I agree. Clearly, as in the case of Covid-19, the cure i.e. LD, can be far, far worse than the disease.

Not for those who have died from it.

I have yet to see a denier even attempt to explain this away:

Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 15.34.42.png

...or are you saying you're fine with making no effort to avoid these excess deaths? Because that's it's own thing.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Black death is already happening in Africa. More than 10 million people die per year.