Covid-19 compared to Black Death and others

tetrasect

Expert Member
Is that an exact quote?

I think he said 'those excess deaths' referring to the non-Covid deaths attributable to lockdown itself/it's direct effect on the economy.

He must mean that because he openly points out that all the graphs are pretty much behaving the same way i.e. the Corona virus is just about stable.

The lockdown-economy deaths, he expects to increase over many years. It sounds to me like it's not yet determined where to draw the line between the two, except to say there is both over and under counting. And also lockdown stringencies are a set of graphs all on their own. From Sweden to Spain/South Africa.

Dunno why are you trying to change the meaning of what I said that he said, just watch the video. From 4 minutes on. It's very clear that he thinks that excess deaths are caused by the lockdown and not covid. He even says that researchers suggesting that excess deaths are covid deaths is "distasteful", and that "we believe that what will happen is as the western cape coronavirus epidemic continues to decline, those excess deaths will not decline."

Just take a step back and accept that what you thought was true is not. Forget all of that BS and start again with a blank slate. Not the end of the world. Only those who are willing to change their minds can continue to be right. :p

Last edited:

tetrasect

Expert Member
How many 70+ years olds do you see in this video?

All I see is responsible behavior, given young, healthy people's ability to hasten herd immunity.

Yeah, you can even see it in their eyes. That look of fulfilment, maybe even pride... basking in the knowledge that they have done their part, bravely taking us one step closer to achieving a safer world for young and old alike.
True heroes.

lexity

Expert Member
Yeah, you can even see it in their eyes. That look of fulfilment, maybe even pride... basking in the knowledge that they have done their part, bravely taking us one step closer to achieving a safer world for young and old alike.
True heroes.

I agree. They are true heroes, especially if they were under threat of arrest for hastening the safe return of older people to their families and communities.

lexity

Expert Member
The SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. We gonna dance all day or are you going to throw?

Coronioa doesn't mean there isn't some truth to it. There's always a little truth to a lie, to make it believable.

Your chart looks the same to me as all the other countries. I would say if it represents real deaths, it consists of Covid-19 and other deaths, including deaths caused by legal or illegal fear-based economic shutdown, with much more to come.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Coronioa doesn't mean there isn't some truth to it. There's always a little truth to a lie, to make it believable.

Your chart looks the same to me as all the other countries. I would say if it represents real deaths, it consists of Covid-19 and other deaths, including deaths caused by legal or illegal fear-based economic shutdown, with much more to come.

Shhh SlinkyMike loves to buy discount underwear for bedwetting over idiotic fearmongering ideas.

When(if) the world ever moves on from covid19 paranoia you will find SlinkyMike being really upset that not more people died from this.

Some of these covid19 doomsayers could be long lost members of "Heavens Gate" the way they enjoy the hysteria.

flippakitten

Expert Member
How many 70+ years olds do you see in this video?

All I see is responsible behavior, given young, healthy people's ability to hasten herd immunity.

So they're totally isolated from rest of society? They're not gonna visit their parents who will visit grandma?

Notice the people playing cricket, a lot of Eastern faces there, a lot of whom live in multi generational households.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member

No dude. The chart is very simple. It shows the number of deaths of all causes in a given country for last year vs this year. The insight is that mortality is notably higher this year, the only significant change being Covid-19.

You are clearly hooked on this BS coming out of organisations like PANDA. It's all conjecture, the chart I posted shows hard data. I honestly don't know what makes you and your ilk believe that the economy would simply chug along unencumbered were people allowed to walk around spreading the virus. A 'zero lockdown' situation in a country like ours would arguably harm the economy very similarly or perhaps even worse to how lockdown has (no one is arguing that lockdown isn't harmful to the economy btw, the argument is that it is the lesser of two evils.)

The idea that the pandemic would not impact the economy on it's own by jamming health services and allowing large parts of the population to fall ill with little to no ability to treat those people (workers in case you are not tracking) is such a glaring hole in your analysis that frankly it's embarrassing, and it is filled to the brim with naivete.

I've also seen you in this thread talking about herd immunity - buddy leave that to the experts please, you have no idea what herd immunity is. There is no sensible mathematics by which herd immunity can be reached 'naturally' (through rampant infection) because herd immunity is a device used in the deployment of vaccines. Achieving herd immunity through rampant infection is a prospect so horrific in terms of human suffering that no sane person with any understanding of these concepts would even discuss it. In point of fact that hellscape would utterly decimate an economy, you absolute raving numpties.

PANDA has got to be the very height of ignorance quite frankly. To sit in an office full of CAs and Portfolio Managers wailing about lockdown hurting the economy, as if those stocks you trade aren't fetched out out of the fscking ground by workers who would represent some of the more vulnerable subsets of society in a pandemic? Surprisingly stupid for people so highly educated.

Last edited:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Shhh SlinkyMike loves to buy discount underwear for bedwetting over idiotic fearmongering ideas.

When(if) the world ever moves on from covid19 paranoia you will find SlinkyMike being really upset that not more people died from this.

Some of these covid19 doomsayers could be long lost members of "Heavens Gate" the way they enjoy the hysteria.

Over a million people dead already wtf are you babbling about? Look the the chart posted several times in this thread already and explain how that is fear mongering please. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Over a million people dead already wtf are you babbling about? Look the the cart posted several times in this thread already and explain how that is fear mongering please. I'll wait.
You know a million people out of almost 8 billion, though it sounds scary unfortunately is a drop in the ocean, considering that there's been 46 million deaths so far this year and 109 million births.
A million isn't a lot, you think it is, but on a global scale it's not.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
You know a million people out of almost 8 billion, though it sounds scary unfortunately is a drop in the ocean, considering that there's been 46 million deaths so far this year and 109 million births.

1,08 out of 46 is not a lot of human lives? What percentage of those are avoidable deaths? You and I come from very different moral standpoints.

A million isn't a lot, you think it is, but on a global scale it's not.

It's a lot.

Lupus

Honorary Master
1,08 out of 46 is not a lot of human lives? What percentage of those are avoidable deaths? You and I come from very different moral standpoints.

It's a lot.
It's not a lot. Stop thinking it is. Back in the 50s and 60s there were two viruses that wiped out 1 million to 4 million people, no lockdowns there. We recovered, also how many of those "covid" fatalities actually died from a virus related reason? I mean at one point they were marking car accidents as covid as the guy had it.

Norrad

Expert Member
careful what you compare covid to, plague has been reported in China

soon enough the black death will reemerge in the 21 century.
It's actually pretty common now, but nowhere near as dangerous anymore. It's actually much closer to home than you would imagine with Madagascar being an absolute hotbed of plague cases. The DRC and the US being other places with unusually high cases. China hardly features at all in the stats.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
It's not a lot. Stop thinking it is. Back in the 50s and 60s there were two viruses that wiped out 1 million to 4 million people, no lockdowns there.

"Sorry to hear you have AIDS but you know cancer kills more people right?"

WTF is wrong with you?

Lupus

Honorary Master
"Sorry to hear you have AIDS but you know cancer kills more people right?"

WTF is wrong with you?
No wtf is wrong with you? You're acting like this is a great plague that it's justifiable to screw the entire world up over. When in reality it's not, if the media hadn't gone and hyped this up, it wouldn't be a problem. It's people like you calling for the measures that are killing economies which will kill more people than the virus ever would.
Hospitals require money, money that people need to go out and earn, if they can't do that the hospitals close down, if they close down more deaths.
The virus isn't as bad as you're thinking so pull your head out of the sand and start living life again.

tetrasect

Expert Member
It's not a lot. Stop thinking it is. Back in the 50s and 60s there were two viruses that wiped out 1 million to 4 million people, no lockdowns there. We recovered, also how many of those "covid" fatalities actually died from a virus related reason? I mean at one point they were marking car accidents as covid as the guy had it.

First of all, in 1918 when the Spanish flu was around there were massive lockdowns and secondly we have already seen over 1 million deaths with lockdowns in effect. Those lockdowns were implemented to prevent around 60 million deaths.

Lupus

Honorary Master
First of all, in 1918 when the Spanish flu was around there were massive lockdowns and secondly we have already seen over 1 million deaths with lockdowns in effect. Those lockdowns were implemented to prevent around 60 million deaths.
There wouldn't have been 60 million deaths, stop drinking the Kool-aid. The Spanish flu was over a 100 years ago and you know there were a million different reasons it spread like it did. Firstly there was this thing called WW1 that was happening and just tying up, so soilders were coming back with it, hygiene was a lot worse. They didn't really know about germs as they do now. Also no one actually knows how many people it really killed as record keeping on deaths wasn't great.
If you want to compare look at 1958/59 Asian Flu and 1968/69 Hong Kong Flu. No lockdowns, barely anyone knew about it and it killed the same or more than what Covid has, as the problem is no one also knows how many people it too killed due to the way flu deaths are recorded.
You cannot compare Covid to the Spanish flu, different viruses, different world. You may as well compare it to the bubonic plague.
Also looking at the deaths, 20% of them are in the US which we know is all over the place on their lockdown stratergy.

Forum Reader

And yet the total deaths still show that covid-19 death figures are still severely understated. Even with conspiracy theorists saying for several months that many people who don't die from covid-19 are counted as covid-19 deaths.

Last edited: