COVID-19 kills Black Friday queues and stampedes

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
COVID-19 kills Black Friday queues and stampedes

With sparse crowds and none of the stampedes of holidays past, some retail watchers started to refer to Black Friday as Blasé Friday instead -- and that was even before the virus hit.

After debuting and expanding online services during the pandemic -- from video chats to in-car order pickup -- retailers are now stress-testing how well the new options work in the busiest and most-crucial shopping part of the year.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Is this really newsworthy? COVID has been around for a while now. The shift to ecommerce has been accelerated and there is no turning back now. Its simple. FIFO. Fit in or **** Off.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Is this really newsworthy? COVID has been around for a while now. The shift to digital has been accelerated and there is no turning back now. Its simple. FIFO. Fit in or **** Off.

Jirre, I read that as **** in **** off.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
To be very honest, I was watching a number of items, very few had a price drop, and then in the normal "special" price range. Nothing worthy of "Black Friday " a few items actually had a price increase, but most where just the normal prices.

Norrad

Expert Member
And here is me hoping that it was actually "killing" anyone stupid enough to take part in these so-called "specials".

gfmalan

Expert Member
It's not Covid's faulty, it is a lack of real specials, we are not stupid, don't use us to get rid of your old stock that you can't move, hope BF dies a quick death.

Wonder how TakeAlot did this year, I haven't heard about website/app issues, monitoring a few products from January, and they got more expensive this last week, so same story different year.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It's not Covid's faulty, it is a lack of real specials, we are not stupid, don't use us to get rid of your old stock that you can't move, hope BF dies a quick death.

Wonder how TakeAlot did this year, I haven't heard about website/app issues, monitoring a few products from January, and they got more expensive this last week, so same story different year.
But that's how it worked in the US I think, get rid of old stock (probably at cost) on Black Friday. So why not do it here?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Let's blame a virus because people know BF is a scam.

It's the VID I tell you. The fkn VID (Kevin Hart).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
There were quite a few less specials than usual from what I saw.

Most of my purchases were clothes and then two electronics on Amazon. Local electronics didn't really have any sales from what I saw.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
There were quite a few less specials than usual from what I saw.

Most of my purchases were clothes and then two electronics on Amazon. Local electronics didn't really have any sales from what I saw.

A few TV's I'd rather not have

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
my wife called it "bleak friday", because the specials were pretty disappointing. the tv i was watching went from "R6299 R6499" to "R6299 R7499"
(decided to send our 3yo to school in october for three days a week instead of buying a new tv. turned out to be a much better decision )

Temujin

Honorary Master
my wife called it "bleak friday", because the specials were pretty disappointing. the tv i was watching went from "R6299 R6499" to "R6299 R7499"
(decided to send our 3yo to school in october for three days a week instead of buying a new tv. turned out to be a much better decision )
EnqX2oqXcAAOqUJ