Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The map:
View attachment 1206046

Latest NICD report dated 2 December 2021

That map is already out of date, Iceland and Norway added this morning, many other countries missing.

Edit: Maybe they mean number of samples with fully published RNA sequence added to the global database, rather than known and suspected cases.

Last edited:

SYDNEY - Australia on Friday reported a student with no history of foreign travel had tested positive for the COVID-19 Omicron variant, the country's first detected case of community transmission.

The case, detected in the country's largest city Sydney, comes despite a ban on non-citizens entering the country and restrictions on flights from southern Africa, where the variant was first detected.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines being used in the UK as boosters give the best overall boost response, according to a UK trial of seven different jabs.

The trial is the first study of how well Covid booster jabs work and justifies the UK's early decision to use these two vaccines for boosters.

All the vaccines tested raised immunity against Covid to some degree.

Researchers said there were promising signs the boosters would still protect against illness and death from Omicron.

How nice of the Indian folk:

FFrGOn4XsAcvLEc

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
How nice of the Indian folk:

FFrGOn4XsAcvLEc

More coherent story about the variant in India, and very interesting details about one SA traveller:
The South African national landed in Bengaluru on 20 November. He was screened at the airport and found to be Covid positive, following which he isolated himself in a hotel. Two days later, his samples were sent for genome sequencing, the official release said.

He also got himself tested at a private lab - and he got a negative result. On 27 November, he took a cab to the Bengaluru airport and left for Dubai.

Officials said 24 primary contacts and 240 secondary contacts of the man were traced, and all of them have tested negative.

neoprema

Executive Member
Can someone explain this to me:

ALL travelers coming to the US must have a negative COVID-19 test no older than 24 hours to be allowed entry due to Omicron variant.

South Africans regardless of vaccination and covid-19 test result are banned to travel to the US due to the Omicron variant.

Am I the only one not understanding the logic here?

Ragnarök

Expert Member

ALL travelers coming to the US must have a negative COVID-19 test no older than 24 hours to be allowed entry due to Omicron variant.

South Africans regardless of vaccination and covid-19 test result are banned to travel to the US due to the Omicron variant.

There is no logic , only vaccines

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

quovadis

Executive Member

It's most likely precautionary because we've got a ton of Omicron ;)

C4Cat

Honorary Master

Racism isn't logical

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What is the problem? It is after all vaccination driven logic. I thought all the pro-vaxxers are united?

Dave

Honorary Master

People who have had a Pfizer booster jab or recently double vaccinated should be protected from the new Omicron variant, Israel’s health chief has claimed.

Health minister Nitzan Horowitz said on Tuesday that early signs were positive with data to be unveiled soon.

Speaking on a hospital visit, Mr Horowitz said: “In the coming days we will have more accurate information about the efficacy of the vaccine against Omicron.

“But there is already room for optimism, and there are initial indications that those who are vaccinated with a vaccine still valid or with a booster will also be protected from this variant.”

The Israeli broadcaster Channel 12 later followed up the comments by citing as yet unconfirmed data that the Pfizer jab was 90 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic infection from Omicron.