rvZA

Executive Member
“Only”

Yeah well, if I was governments, I would much rather worry about lockdowns and mandatory testing and treatment for illnesses like Cardiovascular diseases (which killed around 40 million people last 2 years) or Cancers (which killed more than 20 million people last 2 years) or Respiratory diseases (which killed more than 12 million people last 2 years and this does not include Covid-19).

There are many other illnesses and cause of deaths which outranks Covid-19's 5 million deaths the past 2 years and never have any such actions been taken as we see today.

So, whatever governments want, they should probably get.

neoprema

Executive Member
I’m done with Covid and volcanic eruptions news for the day. I poured myself a vodka, turned off the lights and chilling on the patio while the HomePods are playing all of Madonnas slow hits. Tomorrow is another day.
Didn't last long, I switched to Queen and then Guns n Roses lol

So, another day - seems news indicating Omicron's effects may turn out to be less deadly than Delta.

neoprema

Executive Member
Yes, because there is a scary virus that killed only 5.2 million people in 2 years across the globe.....
You know the world is well and truly ##@! when we think its a positive to thing to say that "only" 5.2 million are now dead. That's lots families, mothers, children, friends... I'm not saying it to attack you, we all use the low number of deaths to mean something positive but that's 5 million people - no future, no plans. gone.

rvZA

Executive Member
You know the world is well and truly ##@! when we think its a positive to thing to say that "only" 5.2 million are now dead. That's lots families, mothers, children, friends... I'm not saying it to attack you, we all use the low number of deaths to mean something positive but that's 5 million people - no future, no plans. gone.

True, but what has been done on a similar scale, for the almost 80 million only who died of cancers, cardiovascular diseases and respiratory diseases? Absolutely nothing. Those are almost 80 million lost families, mothers, children and friends. They seem not to be important enough?

I am not saying that 'only 5 million' is a small irrelevant number, but there are serious questions in regards to a sudden government stronghold when 5 million dies in 2 years vs 80 million in the same period of time and no f***ks given about them.

neoprema

Executive Member
True, but what has been done on a similar scale, for the almost 80 million only who died of cancers, cardiovascular diseases and respiratory diseases? Absolutely nothing. Those are almost 80 million lost families, mothers, children and friends. They seem not to be important enough?

I am not saying that 'only 5 million' is a small irrelevant number, but there are serious questions in regards to a sudden government stronghold when 5 million dies in 2 years vs 80 million in the same period of time and no f***ks given about them.
Yeah but with COVID its just felt worse, their loss seems to have had more impact for some reason. Maybe because of the shock of it all as it was just sprung on us.

rvZA

Executive Member
Yeah but with COVID its just felt worse, their loss seems to have had more impact for some reason. Maybe because of the shock of it all as it was just sprung on us.

Totally agreed. Covid did feel worse, but in my opinion because of a lot of fear, threats we all experienced from governments around the world. Something the world has not experienced in almost 80 years. In my opinion this was the whole idea from the start. Fear played a big role in pulling off what was done the past 2 years.

quovadis

Executive Member
Considering all the measures (right or wrong or scientific or other) do you honestly think the outcome would've been the same if the government(s) simply left it up to nature?

Hush9300

Expert Member
Considering all the measures (right or wrong or scientific or other) do you honestly think the outcome would've been the same if the government(s) simply left it up to nature?
I believe so yes (Sweden and Florida are good examples). interventions just kick the bucket further down the road.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Great thread from one of the people I've closely followed throughtout the pandemic. I'd recommend giving this guy a follow - even if you are not too interested in the pandemic, his data visualisation skills are great.

Too soon to tell if the elderly will get sick, but so far the majority of hospital admissions with Omicron have been for 'observation', and we don't (yet) have the previous wave of patients in ICU on oxygen. Would be nice to get a sequential article link (rather than Twitter), but publishers may be reluctant to stick their necks out...

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
These days I try to dismiss most MSM clickbaity FUD and cherry-pick the highlights from SA medical coalface experts - their opinions will shout loudest to me until more informed (hopefully optimistic) data emerges over the next few weeks.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/tre...xperts-are-actually-seeing-on-the-frontlines/
Omicron up close: What South Africa’s experts are actually seeing on the frontlines

Marc Mendelson, the head of infectious diseases at the University of Cape Town:

“While people are freaking out, the other thing to stress is that if you look across the variants, the vaccines have protected against severe disease, hospitalization and death.

Richard Friedland, chief executive officer of Netcare, which operates the largest private health-care network in South Africa:
“…I actually think there is a silver lining here and this may signal the end of Covid-19, with it attenuating itself to such an extent that it’s highly contagious, but doesn’t cause severe disease. That’s what happened with Spanish flu.”
“We are seeing breakthrough infections of people who have been vaccinated, but the infections we’re seeing are very mild to moderate.
“It’s early days, but I’m less panicked. It feels different to me on the ground.”

Shabir Madhi, a vaccinologist from the University of the Witwatersrand:
“…right now in South Africa, all indications are that 75% to 80% of people were infected with the virus during the course of the first three waves. That is probably going to equip those individuals — not to resist infection — but rather prevent progression of infection to severe disease.”

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
These days I try to dismiss most MSM clickbaity FUD and cherry-pick the highlights from SA medical coalface experts - their opinions will shout loudest to me until more informed (hopefully optimistic) data emerges over the next few weeks.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/tre...xperts-are-actually-seeing-on-the-frontlines/
Omicron up close: What South Africa’s experts are actually seeing on the frontlines

Marc Mendelson, the head of infectious diseases at the University of Cape Town:

“While people are freaking out, the other thing to stress is that if you look across the variants, the vaccines have protected against severe disease, hospitalization and death.

Richard Friedland, chief executive officer of Netcare, which operates the largest private health-care network in South Africa:
“…I actually think there is a silver lining here and this may signal the end of Covid-19, with it attenuating itself to such an extent that it’s highly contagious, but doesn’t cause severe disease. That’s what happened with Spanish flu.”
“We are seeing breakthrough infections of people who have been vaccinated, but the infections we’re seeing are very mild to moderate.
“It’s early days, but I’m less panicked. It feels different to me on the ground.”

Shabir Madhi, a vaccinologist from the University of the Witwatersrand:
“…right now in South Africa, all indications are that 75% to 80% of people were infected with the virus during the course of the first three waves. That is probably going to equip those individuals — not to resist infection — but rather prevent progression of infection to severe disease.”

Another range of experts saying similar things, with different words and emphasis:

Forum Reader

Would be interesting to see how you get to 80mill other deaths. Here are 2017 worldwide death stats. Cardiovascular diseases are mostly lifestyle related and cancer has no known cure. You can't get those from other people.

Covid deaths are somewhere between 5mill and 20mill since it began.

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png

quovadis

Executive Member
I believe so yes (Sweden and Florida are good examples). interventions just kick the bucket further down the road.
Both Florida and Sweden had a variety of lockdown and interventions. You’re saying they’d be in the same position without any intervention?