COVID-19 - Western Cape versus Gauteng

Lupus

Honorary Master
Most Teacher Union members are government workers.
Don't worry, you can remain in your bubble as long as you like, once the world starts moving again, you can decide if you want to come out or not. But hopefully you can keep that bubble safe and clean.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Don't worry, you can remain in your bubble as long as you like, once the world starts moving again, you can decide if you want to come out or not. But hopefully you can keep that bubble safe and clean.
Why don't you actually read what I first post and comprehend what I actually wrote before making your look like an idiot even further.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Not sure if this has been posted before.

Yes, it has been posted before, but it is misleading at 3 levels:
1. There is no date or source (News24) in your post.
2. The figures represent the total cases, not the number of new daily.
3. The data are rubbish, because the testing protocols vary by province, and there are huge backlogs.
Other than that, it is very informative.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
No, but the information can be used to fine-tune interventions aimed at controlling the spread. That is what the presentation was about. Know how people move (driven by where they work and live, and by what they do in their spare time and then know IF a hotspot develops where the virus could spread to, without unduly affecting people.
It is what smart LD measures are all about.
This should help
nj.jpg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You know you don't have to actually be a twitter user to look at the tweet right?
That is tantamount to admitting that Twitter is a credible platform. Forget it! Not going to give it ANY recognition.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
2. The numbers represent the total cases, not the number of new daily.
3. The data are rubbish, because the testing protocols vary by province, and there are huge backlogs.
I think you got the wrong end of the stick. That graph represents the amount of testing that is being done per 100 000 people, not the number of infected.

It doesn't matter if testing protocols are different and whether or not there are huge backlogs, it's the BOTTOM LINE that counts. It's what we know, not what we don't know. And could be the reason why the WC has so many more cases than other provinces, because more testing is being done so we would naturally have more cases. It's not concrete evidence of course and only after more time will we be able to nail it down, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Speedster

Executive Member
I think you got the wrong end of the stick. That graph represents the amount of testing that is being done per 100 000 people, not the number of infected.

It doesn't matter if testing protocols are different and whether or not there are huge backlogs, it's the BOTTOM LINE that counts. It's what we know, not what we don't know. And could be the reason why the WC has so many more cases than other provinces, because more testing is being done so we would naturally have more cases. It's not concrete evidence of course and only after more time will we be able to nail it down, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Now post the confirmed cases per capita for each province

noxibox

Honorary Master
By the looks of it there's going to between 19,000 to 25,000 total confirmed cases by 1st June in the WC and government still plan on opening schools in that province.
I don't see Teachers Unions allowing their members back to schools I that province
That doesn't sound like a lot of cases. I also don't see it exposing the teachers to any particular danger by being at school. Although the unions do seem to look for any excuse.

Most Teacher Union members are government workers.
Yes, well they can differentiate themselves by doing some work.

Doing more tests would make a difference, but also who you test. The number of tests alone doesn't explain the disparity. From what I can see the Western Cape has a positivity rate of close to 10%. In that ballpark. Now that can indicate more cases or it could be because their choice of who to test is different. Similarly some other provinces would then need really low positivity rates to bring the average down. Do they have fewer infections or is their testing strategy useless? In a province that has a track record of total incompetence I'd tend to suspect they're just not tracing and testing. And if the people getting most of the infections happen to fall into the groups least likely to get seriously ill we'd never know.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter as far as lockdown is concerned. Maintaining the current state is simply not sustainable unless there is a hidden cache of cash the government has up their sleeve. And the people closest to the problem are the ones best suited to deciding on the best strategy to minimise the damage.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
That doesn't sound like a lot of cases. I also don't see it exposing the teachers to any particular danger by being at school. Although the unions do seem to look for any excuse.

Yes, well they can differentiate themselves by doing some work.

Doing more tests would make a difference, but also who you test. The number of tests alone doesn't explain the disparity. From what I can see the Western Cape has a positivity rate of close to 10%. In that ballpark. Now that can indicate more cases or it could be because their choice of who to test is different. Similarly some other provinces would then need really low positivity rates to bring the average down. Do they have fewer infections or is their testing strategy useless? In a province that has a track record of total incompetence I'd tend to suspect they're just not tracing and testing. And if the people getting most of the infections happen to fall into the groups least likely to get seriously ill we'd never know.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter as far as lockdown is concerned. Maintaining the current state is simply not sustainable unless there is a hidden cache of cash the government has up their sleeve. And the people closest to the problem are the ones best suited to deciding on the best strategy to minimise the damage.
Absolutely. We are not the USA who can simply print dollars. We need our economy up and running again or it could decimate us financially. As it is 50% of restaurants might not reopen after lockdown, and 1 in 3 adults are already going to bed hungry (both stats from eNCA). Trying to act like the a first world country will not serve us well at all. People need to work, to eat.

Besides, the lockdown was intended to give the system enough time to prepare for the mass of covid cases, NOT to remove the virus, yet the government seems to want to now use lockdown for that purpose if they want to keep Cape Town and Joburg at level 4.

quovadis

Expert Member
That is tantamount to admitting that Twitter is a credible platform. Forget it! Not going to give it ANY recognition.
Twitter is as credible as those making the posts - just limit yourself to the accounts which are official channels and you'll be fine.

Grant

Honorary Master
That's exactly an example of why fine grained data are irrelevant IMO. A long list of random numbers, followed by advice to wash your hands!?
Irrelevant to whom?
I would imagine most members of the public want simple information on which areas have the highest levels of infestation and covidians roaming the streets in order to avoid them, not reams of statistical data

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes that is why that plot we saw very early on called a vulnerability index had such potential.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Irrelevant to whom?
I would imagine most members of the public want simple information on which areas have the highest levels of infestation and covidians roaming the streets in order to avoid them, not reams of statistical data
Its irrelevant because the asymptomatic cases make up around 75% of the infections, and the test results are often out of date, and your supermarket cashier may not live in your area, and, and, and...

You have to behave as if everyone is potentially infected, there are no 'safe' areas in the Cape Metropole.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Media Release: Update on the coronavirus by Premier Alan Winde-over 6000 recoveries in the Western Cape | 22 May 2020

As of 1pm on 22 May, the Western Cape has 6136 active cases of Covid-19, with a total of 12 519 confirmed cases and 6126 recoveries.

Total confirmed COVID-19 cases 12519
Total recoveries 6126
Total deaths 257
Total active cases (currently infected patients) 6136
Total number of tests 107567

Sub Districts Cape Town Metro:
Western 1283 cases; 709 recoveries
Southern 1339 cases; 507 recoveries
Northern 733 cases; 402 recoveries
Tygerberg 1918 cases; 1113 recoveries
Eastern 1074 cases; 636 recoveries
Klipfontein 1451 cases; 695 recoveries
Mitchells Plain 1205 cases; 606 recoveries
Khayelitsha 1673 cases; 926 recoveries
Total 10676 cases; 5594 recoveries

Sub Districts Non-Metro:
Garden Route Bitou 11 cases; 6 recoveries
Garden Route Knysna 28 cases; 17 recoveries
Garden Route George 37 cases; 18 recoveries
Garden Route Hessequa 8 cases; 7 recoveries
Garden Route Kannaland 1 cases; 0 recoveries
Garden Route Mossel Bay 30 cases; 19 recoveries
Garden Route Oudtshoorn 6 cases; 3 recoveries
Cape Winelands Stellenbosch 79 cases; 36 recoveries
Cape Winelands Drakenstein 188 cases; 81 recoveries
Cape Winelands Breede Valley 71 cases; 37 recoveries
Cape Winelands Langeberg 10 cases; 5 recoveries
Cape Winelands Witzenberg 214 cases; 178 recoveries
Overberg Overstrand 24 cases; 17 recoveries
Overberg Cape Agulhas 2 cases; 2 recoveries
Overberg Swellendam 8 cases; 5 recoveries
Overberg Theewaterskloof 21 cases; 8 recoveries
West Coast Bergrivier 18 cases; 5 recoveries
West Coast Cederberg 2 cases; 0 recoveries
West Coast Matzikama 2 cases; 0 recoveries
West Coast Saldanha Bay Municipality 22 cases; 5 recoveries
West Coast Swartland 36 cases; 16 recoveries
Central Karoo Beaufort West 1 cases; 1 recovery

Unallocated: 1024 (66 recovered)

Additional data can be accessed on the dashboard at www.westerncape.gov.za/coronavirus

The Western Cape has recorded an additional 22 COVID-19 deaths-bringing the total number of deaths from the virus in the province to 257. We send our condolences to the family and the loved ones of the deceased at this time.

Recoveries:

The province has recorded a number of new recoveries and over 6000 people have recovered. It is also positive to see that only about half of the total number of cases reported in the province, are currently active.

It is important to remember that most people who contract COVID-19 will recover and 90% of cases will not require hospitalisation.

I want to stress though that some people, especially the elderly and those with underlying conditions can get seriously ill, and a person who may not get that sick could pass it to these vulnerable groups. We have to change our behaviour to protect ourselves and the people we love.

It is also very heartening to see that 65% of the healthcare workers in the province who have contracted COVID-19, have recovered. In total, the province has recorded 421 infections in healthcare workers in the province (both public and private sector) and 274 of these have recovered.

We thank all of our healthcare workers for the sterling work they are doing in healthcare facilities in the province, helping to fight this virus on the frontlines. The province has unfortunately recorded six healthcare worker deaths including one doctor, three nurses, and three other healthcare workers. We thank them for their incredible service to the province and send our condolences to their families.

Covid-19 spending and procurement:

Today, Finance Minister David Maynier and the Provincial Treasury team briefed the Western Cape Provincial Parliament's ad hoc committee on COVID-19 on our COVID-19 spending thus far.

To date, we have committed R1.14 billion to COVID-19 expenditure to be used in order to procure necessary supplies such as PPE, medical equipment and beds as part of our healthcare response, and in our humanitarian response in order to mitigate the impact of the virus and the lockdown on residents.

The R1.14 billion includes spending on:

-R628 million to the Department of Health for personal protective equipment, laboratory tests, hospital beds and ventilators;

-R273 million to the Department of Education for personal protective equipment, 7019 digital infrared non-touch thermometers for schools and, sanitisers and cleaning materials;

-R168 million to the Department of Transport and Public Works for the set-up of quarantine and isolation facilities, including the set-up of the field hospital at the Cape Town International Convention Centre;

-R35 million to the Department of Social Development and R18 million to the Department of Education for an initial humanitarian response which has included to provision on 50 000 food parcels; the re-initiation of school feeding schemes; and the delivery of 10 000 cooked meals per day for one month; and

-R16.2 million to the Department of Local Government in the form of a Local Government Support Grant to strengthen and support the current humanitarian initiatives within municipalities.

The Director-General, Harry Malila and I also had the opportunity to brief the committee on our COVID-19 response plan, including our hotspot plan, which aims to slow the spread in the nine infection hotspots in the province through a targeted, whole of government approach.

The Western Cape Government has been working around the clock to ensure that the health systems are prepared ahead of the peak of the virus in the province. This is a very challenging time for our province and country, and we need to work together to slow the spread the virus and save lives.

We need everyone to take responsibility and make changes that will help us to flatten the curve of infection including:

☑Stay home as much as possible
☑Always wear a clean cloth mask in public
☑Always follow the golden rules of good hygiene (a mask alone is not enough)
☑Keep your distance from people at all times
☑Avoid gatherings of people
☑If you are sick, stay home and call the hotline. If you are having difficulty breathing, seek urgent healthcare

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
2. The figures represent the total cases, not the number of new daily.
No - It shows amount of tests done per 100 000 people in the province.

But yes - source, date and context would be good.

krycor

Honorary Master

The line more tests = more cases is a laughable political ploy when raw numbers suggest that WC just have more positive cases. It’s dumb Trump logic. A quick look at hospitals makes u go wtf.

This was pointed out and then the DA narrative changed/appended that they test differently, test clusters and dead.

Then it was pointed out that tracing is done elsewhere too, cluster finding is not unique with randomized testing which is done country wide particularly in townships (most vulnerable other than elderly) and that their dead person test is only where cause of death appears to be unknown. Where cases point to respiratory, tests are either conducted or assumed to be covid related in most places in SA.

Then narrative changed again to emphasize their superior testing selections hence positive rate etc and that they not unique and the rest of the country will follow the exact same trajectory.. they just late.

At this point one can only conclude the DA has approached this in a very political manner and if the rest of the country isn’t BS numbers no sane person will vote for them. I hope for their sake they right but I dunno.. the handful times I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers. So yah.. is the rest of the country as self important as people here? Guess we will see in the numbers but I suspect they are.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The line more tests = more cases is a laughable political ploy when raw numbers suggest that WC just have more positive cases. It’s dumb Trump logic. A quick look at hospitals makes u go wtf.

This was pointed out and then the DA narrative changed/appended that they test differently, test clusters and dead.

Then it was pointed out that tracing is done elsewhere too, cluster finding is not unique with randomized testing which is done country wide particularly in townships (most vulnerable other than elderly) and that their dead person test is only where cause of death appears to be unknown. Where cases point to respiratory, tests are either conducted or assumed to be covid related in most places in SA.

Then narrative changed again to emphasize their superior testing selections hence positive rate etc and that they not unique and the rest of the country will follow the exact same trajectory.. they just late.

At this point one can only conclude the DA has approached this in a very political manner and if the rest of the country isn’t BS numbers no sane person will vote for them. I hope for their sake they right but I dunno.. the handful times I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers. So yah.. is the rest of the country as self important as people here? Guess we will see in the numbers but I suspect they are.
What a load of BS!
Tell you what swop places with me. I will rather live in WC where they know what they are doing. You can come and live in the GP hell hole.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

All true but remember its been the commentators that have made all the excuses. Much of the back and forward has been in the media. Not much of the narrative has come from the authorities.

There are two things that are fact though:

The Western Cape has the best health care system in the country, so if there is a province that is managing it better its going to be in the Western Cape. The DA is also not the Western Cape health department.

The other thing is that yes there are definitely more infections in the WC and its probably because there are more tourists. The number of deaths show that we have had the infections for longer (it takes a while to die).

So that aside.

WC testing strategy does seem to be the best way forward and I do thing other provinces are lagging.

Sorry I'll keep my vote with the DA for now... there are problems but they aren't ANC problems.

As for trump logic. "I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers" is right out of trumps playbook.
Have a look at this, high infection rate in impoverished densely populated areas, low infection rate in less densely populated more affluent areas. I'm not sure how that is unexpected for you ? What stupidity caused this ? was it surfers on the beach or people exercising after 9am ?

The exact same pattern will happen in GP and KZN.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-22 at 11.34.55.jpeg