COVID-19 - Western Cape versus Gauteng

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
All true but remember its been the commentators that have made all the excuses. Much of the back and forward has been in the media. Not much of the narrative has come from the authorities.

There are two things that are fact though:

The Western Cape has the best health care system in the country, so if there is a province that is managing it better its going to be in the Western Cape. The DA is also not the Western Cape health department.

The other thing is that yes there are definitely more infections in the WC and its probably because there are more tourists. The number of deaths show that we have had the infections for longer (it takes a while to die).

So that aside.

WC testing strategy does seem to be the best way forward and I do thing other provinces are lagging.

Sorry I'll keep my vote with the DA for now... there are problems but they aren't ANC problems.

As for trump logic. "I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers" is right out of trumps playbook.
Have a look at this, high infection rate in impoverished densely populated areas, low infection rate in less densely populated more affluent areas. I'm not sure how that is unexpected for you ? What stupidity caused this ? was it surfers on the beach or people exercising after 9am ?

The exact same pattern will happen in GP and KZN.

View attachment 844587
Now that is an interesting plot you have access to! Suppose you are unable to share the link with us?

Very well said! And long overdue. The rest of the country is living under a cloud of ignorance. Regardless of the levels of infections ALL of us deserve this sort of transparency and access to information. This picture should scare the hell out of those that live in CT and should surely get them to change the behaviours.

pouroverguy

Heavens to Betsy, it's a catastrophe, how will the world ever move on... Let us all live in our shells for years to come.
Right now Groote Schuur hospital has DOUBLE the workload they normally have, and Medical Students from 4th to 6th year now are being recruited to volunteer. But yes, go on...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Now that is an interesting plot you have access to! Suppose you are unable to share the link with us?

Very well said! And long overdue. The rest of the country is living under a cloud of ignorance. Regardless of the levels of infections ALL of us deserve this sort of transparency and access to information. This picture should scare the hell out of those that live in CT and should surely get them to change the behaviours.
I got it second hand so ashamed to say I don't have the original source. It does match the hotspot map that was released on news24 and the numbers add up. I wonder if the other provinces have this kind of data ?

EDIT: Ok looks like the DA Councillors are sharing infection numbers for their wards on Facebook.

This is a link to one in my ward,
and the numbers are the same.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Have a look at this, high infection rate in impoverished densely populated areas, low infection rate in less densely populated more affluent areas. I'm not sure how that is unexpected for you ? What stupidity caused this ? was it surfers on the beach or people exercising after 9am ?

View attachment 844587
Very interesting chart! However, please don't confuse density of the population with density of the infection. You need to plot cases per 100,000 population to make any valid comparisons. Also note that locations of hospitals, and testing inconsistencies will skew the data.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Very interesting chart! However, please don't confuse density of the population with density of the infection. You need to plot cases per 100,000 population to make any valid comparisons. Also note that locations of hospitals, and testing inconsistencies will skew the data.
Yes, they don't really indicated if the infection location is where the person lives or where they were tested.

Its interesting nevertheless.

noxibox

Honorary Master
This picture should scare the hell out of those that live in CT and should surely get them to change the behaviours.
Why would it scare anyone? Unless they live in one of those densely populated areas.

noxibox

Honorary Master
A quick look at hospitals makes u go wtf.
Does it?

This was pointed out and then the DA narrative changed/appended that they test differently, test clusters and dead.
Do they do anything differently? You seem to be reading a lot into the questions that people have asked. So you'd argue that if the one area does lackadaisical tracing it wouldn't impact their number of positive results? I look at that picture and I see that there are 7 cases in Tamboerskloof. If we concentrate our testing on that location would it impact the number of positives versus selecting another area?

Then it was pointed out that tracing is done elsewhere too, cluster finding is not unique
If someone claimed it was unique they'd probably be wrong. But that isn't the question that was raised.

Then narrative changed again to emphasize their superior testing selections hence positive rate
Where are you finding this narrative? Who is running and changing it?

But since you seem to have inside knowledge of what each province is doing can you lay out the details? Or have gatekeepers made it generally available so that the public may scrutinise it?

and that they not unique and the rest of the country will follow the exact same trajectory.. they just late.
Well that's certainly possible.

At this point one can only conclude the DA has approached this in a very political manner and if the rest of the country isn’t BS numbers no sane person will vote for them.
I suppose you can conclude whatever you like. Just like those people who like to believe the ANC is engaged in an intricate multi-decade plot.

All I see is that the DA fully supported the initial lockdown, but the entire thing went well off the rails weeks ago. Now all they're doing is their job, both as the ruling party in the province and as an opposition party. The DA isn't forcing anyone to give up hiding at home. They are however the only political party showing any signs of acting sensibly at the moment.

Its the ANC making it political.

I hope for their sake they right but I dunno.. the handful times I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers.
You seem to have a thing for calling Capetonians stupid.

So yah.. is the rest of the country as self important as people here?
Is the rest of the country thinking for themselves? I don't know. Apparently there is civil disobedience occurring all over the country. So I don't think it is only Capetonians who have had enough of the lockdown bull dung. Apparently people don't like going bankrupt and starving to death. I'm surprised.

As long as I have food, water, electricity and internet access I can ride out a year long lockdown in South Africa. My children will continue to get educated too. In fact we could continue until South Africa meets the WHO's criteria. But I realise that wouldn't actually be good for many people and that reality means that some risks are going to have to be accepted.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
All true but remember its been the commentators that have made all the excuses. Much of the back and forward has been in the media. Not much of the narrative has come from the authorities.

There are two things that are fact though:

The Western Cape has the best health care system in the country, so if there is a province that is managing it better its going to be in the Western Cape. The DA is also not the Western Cape health department.

The other thing is that yes there are definitely more infections in the WC and its probably because there are more tourists. The number of deaths show that we have had the infections for longer (it takes a while to die).

So that aside.

WC testing strategy does seem to be the best way forward and I do thing other provinces are lagging.

Sorry I'll keep my vote with the DA for now... there are problems but they aren't ANC problems.

As for trump logic. "I’ve been out Cpt people seem stupid wrt this pandemic so I’m not surprised by numbers" is right out of trumps playbook.

The exact same pattern will happen in GP and KZN.

View attachment 844587
Yes that matches the figures I was given to us by our Ward Councillor:

Fernwood Newlands 22

Bishopscourt 5

Wynberg 47

Plumstead 23

Constantia 12

Master Su

COVID-19 - Western Cape versus Gauteng

The Western Cape has seen a rapid rise in COVID-19 cases over the last week, raising concerns it will move to level 5 lockdown again.

On Saturday, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize visited the Western Cape to discuss the rise in infections in the province.

This followed a call from health portfolio committee chairperson Sibongiseni Dhlomo for the government to intervene to lower the spread of the virus in the province.
Western Cape for the win.
Cape Town is the best-run big metropolitan city in the country, Western Cape is the best run province, and the province is also home to 12 of the 20 top-performing municipalities, according to two separate reports.

1590232915387.gif

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Update on the coronavirus by Premier Alan Winde
23 May 2020

As of 1pm on 23 May, the Western Cape has 6146 active cases of Covid-19, with a total of 12947 confirmed cases and 6525 recoveries.

Total confirmed COVID-19 cases 12947
Total recoveries 6525
Total deaths 276
Total active cases (currently infected patients) 6146
Total number of tests 114869
Hospitalisations 557 of which 154 are in ICU or high care

Sub Districts Cape Town Metro:
Western 1380 cases; 774 recoveries
Southern 1436 cases; 544 recoveries
Northern 794 cases; 419 recoveries
Tygerberg 2030 cases; 1172 recoveries
Eastern 1153 cases; 677 recoveries
Klipfontein 1533 cases; 726 recoveries
Mitchells Plain 1271 cases; 673 recoveries
Khayelitsha 1741 cases; 1007 recoveries
Total 11338 cases; 5992 recoveries

Sub Districts Non-Metro:
Garden Route Bitou 13 cases; 6 recoveries
Garden Route Knysna 36 cases; 17 recoveries
Garden Route George 44 cases; 18 recoveries
Garden Route Hessequa 8 cases; 7 recoveries
Garden Route Kannaland 1 cases; 1 recoveries
Garden Route Mossel Bay 30 cases; 19 recoveries
Garden Route Oudtshoorn 8 cases; 3 recoveries
Cape Winelands Stellenbosch 90 cases; 40 recoveries
Cape Winelands Drakenstein 238 cases; 84 recoveries
Cape Winelands Breede Valley 79 cases; 37 recoveries
Cape Winelands Langeberg 10 cases; 3 recoveries
Cape Winelands Witzenberg 218 cases; 180 recoveries
Overberg Overstrand 27 cases; 18 recoveries
Overberg Cape Agulhas 4 cases; 2 recoveries
Overberg Swellendam 8 cases; 5 recoveries
Overberg Theewaterskloof 26 cases; 8 recoveries
West Coast Bergrivier 19 cases; 6 recoveries
West Coast Cederberg 2 cases; 0 recoveries
West Coast Matzikama 2 cases; 0 recoveries
West Coast Saldanha Bay Municipality 30 cases; 5 recoveries
West Coast Swartland 42 cases; 18 recoveries
Central Karoo Beaufort West 1 cases; 0 recoveries

Unallocated: 673 (56 recovered)

Additional data can be accessed on the dashboard at www.westerncape.gov.za/coronavirus

The Western Cape has recorded an additional 19 COVID-19 deaths-bringing the total number of deaths from the virus in the province to 276. We extend our condolences to the family and friends of the deceased at this time.

Hospitalisation:

The Western Cape is starting to see increased patients receiving care in our hospitals as we move towards the peak of the infection in the province. At the close of business yesterday, 557 patients were being treated in hospital, with 154 of these in ICU or high care. The Western Cape hospital system has the capacity to deal with the demand for hospital beds at this time.

In our preparedness planning, the province has taken into account all of the available beds in both the public and the private sector.

Our existing public sector capacity can provide 2162 acute beds, which includes 658 additional beds created through expansion.

We are also bringing online 1428 additional intermediate care beds in our temporary or "field hospitals" in the Western Cape. Construction on the hospital facility at the CTICC, which will provide 850 of these beds, is well underway and on track for completion in the first week of June. Another 330 beds will be made available at a temporary hospital at Brakengate, 150 at the Cape Winelands Sonstraal Hospital, 68 at the Khayelitsha Thusong Centre, and 30 additional beds at Tygerberg hospital.

In the critical care space (ICU and high care), we will reach a total of 850 ICU beds in the province, the majority of which already exist. We currently have 150 existing beds at public healthcare facilities. An additional 100 beds are being added. We have also arranged to purchase 300 ICU beds from the private sector for public sector patients. The private sector also has an additional 300 ICU beds available in addition to these.

The vast majority of people who contract COVID-19, will not require hospitalisation which is evidenced by the fact that more than half of our total caseload have now recovered. However, in order to ensure that we are able to offer the appropriate level of care to those who need it, we need every resident to play their part to reduce infections, and more specifically to protect the vulnerable who are at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill. As we have indicated before, even in the best case scenario, and with both private and public beds, we will fall short of ICU beds.

This requires us to take stock of our behaviour and look at ways in which we can make changes to help flatten the curve and reduce the risk of transmission. This includes staying home as much as possible, especially if you are over 60 or have an underlying illness. When leaving home, hygiene measures such as washing or sanitizing your hands, not touching your face and keeping your distance from other people are highly important. Wearing a clean, cloth mask should not replace these behaviours, but they should all be used together, for maximum effectiveness.

Eid:

On Monday, our Muslim residents will mark the holy day of Eid. This is a time that is traditionally marked by attending Mosque and visiting with family and loved ones. This year's Eid celebrations will be markedly different as a result of lockdown in South Africa but I hope that despite not being able to share the day with all of your loved ones in person, that the day does not lose its spirit of kindness, sharing and connectedness. May all of our Muslim residents have a blessed Eid celebration.